TN 2003 Rhone & Australian reds + a Rioja Blanco

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by PhilWilkins, Jun 14, 2018.

1. 2011 Marques de Murrieta ‘Capellania' Reserva Blanco
    100% Viura from a single vineyard planted in1945 this is restrained, understated & complete without being flashy. There is smokey/creamy/waxy/savouriness/oxidative note here with such underlying complexity you can’t put it down. Treat this like you would a decent red and it will repay you. Such a terrific bottle for the £13 paid. Cork. 13.5% 91pts

2003 Seppelt ‘St Peters’ Shiraz, Grampians

Loads of aroma & flavour here in an elegant way. Not as complex (a bit clumsy?) as expected, I suspect this is at the younger end of the spectrum. The palate is generous enough with velvety fruit, moderate tannins & a decent finish. Maybe this was drunk to quickly to fully appreciate what is in the bottle. Fantastic stuff but difficult to find. Screw cap. 13.5%vol. 92pts

2003 Clonakilla Shiraz - Viognier, Canberra District

94% Shiraz, 6% Viognier, one-third new oak. This was utterly compelling, many years had passed since drinking my last S/V I didn’t know what to expect. I was not disappointed. It was radiant, fine and very deep with slightly sweet/spicy dark fruits with herbs & violets. Greater complexity added by the secondary notes of lots of things not worth listing. Drives like a Porsche! Cork. 14% 95pts

2003 Torbreck ‘The Steading’, Barossa Valley

60% Grenache, 20% Mourvedre, and 20% Shiraz. Assuming this was well cellared there are glimpses of the downward slope while still holding onto glances of youth. Dried red fruits, sous bois, roasted beef, touches of barnyard and eventually some spice notes created. It was an interesting enough bottle but lacked charm/complexity/drinkability. However, I wouldn’t refuse another bottle should one come my way. Cork. 14.5% 88pts

2003 Les Vins de Vienne Cote Rotie ‘Les Essartailles’

Perhaps still a tad on the young side this was an attractive bottle without being terribly exciting. Medium bodied there was some purity here with decent meaty/bloody/iron-y notes. I liked the tea-like tannins however there was very little development while drinking this over several hours. It was decent enough, just a bit dull overall. Cork. 13.5% 89pts

2003 Domaine de la Janasse Cuvee Vieilles Vignes

Wow. This certainly marries power with charm/elegance and balancing intensity/structure weaving its magic backbone here. Phwor.... insatiably succulent this finishes grippy, long and satisfying. The control in this is glorious. So deliciously complete. I could waffle on over how great this bottle was but I’ll leave it at “quite compelling” to sum up. Ready without any rush to drink. Long live 2003! Long live Chateauneuf! Cork. 15% 95pts

Mahmoud Ali and Nayan Gowda like this.
  2. The Clonakilla '03 is rather good - though I finished mine over 5 years ago.
    Never tasted let alone drunk a St. Peters. I have a single bottle of St. Peters ('04) which I brought* back from Oz 10 years ago. I've been tempted to open it on numerous occasions but the JO guide still reckons it is yet to peak.

* It's like hen's teeth am I'm not sure I've even seen it on a list when in Oz. having checked, I purchased it it the semi-legendary, late lamented George's Liquor Store from your home town.

3. I hope you don't mind adding a note of my own, Phil, but as luck would have it I'm drinking the only 2003 Australian wine I own and the coincidence seems too good to pass up!

Yarra Yarra "The Yarra Yarra" 2003
    70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 30% Merlot from their vineyards in the Yarra Valley. No idea about oak regimes as their website is very tight on the details, but it's definitely there. This vineyard burnt in the terrible 2009 fires along with most of the wines currently in production, so I believe 2005 was the last vintage of this wine. 13.5% ABV

A lovely, deep garnet colour at 15 years old, and the sort of wine you can smell before you even pick up the glass. There's still huge fruit density here, with dried blackberries, plum and cassis, as well as that smoky, vegemite sort of smell I get with older Australian wines. Clear and obvious oak that's melting nicely into the wine, leather, tobacco, eucalyptus, wet leaves and a touch of graphite. Very complex, despite the fruit intensity. Big, soft tannins with just a hint of grip left, plenty of acidic lift and again, masses of fruit leading the charge. This has 5-10 years left in it although it really is quite delicious now. One of the most engaging Australian Cabernet Sauvignons I can recall drinking! 94pts

4. And I have a single bottle of the 98...

5. The potential makings of an off-line.:)

Nayan Gowda likes this.
  6. Really like the Capellania Phil. Had my last bottle of the 99 Janasse VV recently - superb! Nice notes!

PhilWilkins likes this.