2006 Gruaud-Larose

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Christopher Topham-Smith, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Has anyone tasted this in the last couple of years, please? While HRH Jancis was recently enthusiastic ('the Gruaud was unusually rich and beefy, and was distinguished by notably sweet and alluring perfume'), Neal Martin's generally positive primeur note sits uneasily with Parker's formal demolition (I would never recognise it as a Gruaud-Larose except for the label [...] one of the most disappointing Saint-Juliens I tasted') on release.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  2. I had a bottle 2 months ago. Note was: deep, broody, needed the 2+ hour decant to unfurl a little. Lovely perfumed nose, still quite primary with rich black fruit. The palate is quite dense, the tannins are well managed and as they soften the wine will surely shed its hard exterior to allow the lovely sweet core to emerge. Try again in 3-4 years.

3. Drank 6 months again alongside the 2005, and to be fair it put up a good fight. Whilst the 2005 was obviously a superior wine, like most 2005s itt is for the long haul, and 2006 undoubtedly at the threshold of its window.Gareth’s note reflects my experience in essence.

4. “Parker's formal demolition (I would never recognise it as a Gruaud-Larose except for the label [...] one of the most disappointing Saint-Juliens I tasted') on release.”

That damnation really piqued my interest but I see it still sells for circa £60 a bottle. I am guessing one could have picked up a lot cheaper back then. Gruaud-Larose paid a high price for resisting the Parker phenomenon.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  5. When was the last time we held a Gruaud Larose vertical.

I have a vague recollection of one where I actually met Richard Z!

Ian Hampsted likes this.
  6. I find it really interesting that we are gradually seeing more notes from vintages such as '04 and '06 even '08 as people start to have a peek and put a placeholder down.

Just the passing of vinous time but sometimes its easy to get these wines stuck in your head as 'young' when really they are not.

A bit like children I guess :D

7. Slight thread drift but has anyone looked at an 06 Langoa yet?

8. Further and opposite drift. Should I take my 05 Gruaud Larose out of storage?
    A question that cross references the Seckford thread.

9. I wouldn't personally Russ.

Russ Sainty likes this.
  10. Ian’s comment about Gruaud Larose refusing to pander to Parker is interesting. When I first became interested in wine (mid- to late-80s) Parker was then of the opinion that G-L should be raised to First Growth, such a fan of it was he. IIRC he was particularly keen on the ‘82 and the ‘86. I gather from Ian’s comment that he must not have liked subsequent vintages. I didn’t know that because I stopped taking any notice of Parker once I realised that his tastes and mine diverged (probably about two years after I first became interested in wine :)).

For me, Parker’s real expertise was probably in relation to the Northern Rhône. Practically everywhere else, his influence was malign.

11. There is no doubt that Gruaud Larose had a purple patch in the 1980s, from 1982 to 1988 to be exact, when it matched Pichon Lalande quality wise, which is high praise.

Things went off the boil a bit with the 1989 vintage and 1990 was a bit of an underachiever too. So there was definitely a dip in form in the 1990s but the 1996 is superb.

The dip in form partly reflected an attempt to fashion more elegant wines, which is why Parker trashed them.

12. Anyone had the GL 2004?

13. If you have several cases yes. If one case, at least five years depending how you like to drink your Claret

14. The GL which continues to surprise is ‘07. The few favourites I tried have under delivered even in terms of this poor vintage. Conversely, GL is a success notwithstanding the year. The other vintage which springs to mind is ‘77, though the former is clearly superior.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Alex Jagger likes this.
  15. That's good to know Mark, haven't tried it thus far.

16. Also it seems a few 2006s and 2008s are being released late onto the market, so some may have been picked up recently.

17. Has anyone had GL 2000 yet? It has a good reputation, but I suspect it may not yet be approachable.

18. I suspect you mean this one Alex? Richard - the 2000 was on show here - unsurprisingly very young at 11 years of age though I obviously thought it had potential:

GRUAUD LAROSE AT THE LEDBURY - The Ledbury, London (24/06/2011)
    • 1987 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Mature, red fruited, slightly bitter edge. Medium bodied, quite soft, mature, not particularly long but savoury and fresh, a little firm on the finish. A good 87. **
    • 1985 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Subdued, not showing much on the nose or palate initially. Opens out a little with time, slightly caramelly fruit, soft and mellow. Quite good. **
    • 1981 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      This the best wine of the flight, with a deeper, sweeter nose, with a savoury and sous-bois edge. More generous on the palate too, deeper and longer with with an attractive fresh finish. ***
    • 1979 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Savoury nose, worcester sauce and tomato, lean, firm palate, drinkable but not quite right. NR
    • 1990 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Rich, open nose with trademark 90 baked red fruit. Sweet, rich and softly tannic, long and sweet finish but with only moderate acidity. ***1/2
    • 1989 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Closed. Ripe, spicy fruit, quite generous and rich but not yielding much. Firm tannins showing on the finish. **
    • 1988 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Lovely, earthy, spicy black fruited nose, hints of cedar and leather. Medium bodied, fresh and appetising claret with lovely acidity and attractive developed, spicy flavours. Not particularly deep or long, but very appetising. ****
    • 1986 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Extraordinarily youthful almost ruby appearance with minimal bricking. Nose is youthful too with blackcurrant fruit, classic leafy and tobacco notes. Sleek, medium bodied middleweight wine on the palate, with core of juicy black fruit, slightly firm but fine tannins and a long, fresh finish. Very good indeed. ****
    • 2001 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Youthful appearance, lovely slightly developed claret nose with ripe blackcurrant fruit, notes of vanilla and pebbly minerals. Lovely fresh, vibrant palate with soft tannins, good depth and a good length, fresh, minerally finish. Lovely wine, drinking really well. ****1/2
    • 2000 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Rich, sweet black fruited nose, notable vanilla oak and a slight lactic edge, a hint of mineral. Full bodied on the palate with rich, ripe dark fruit, vanilla, very intense and generous fruit, layered, soft tannins, good acidity too and a very long finish. This seems to have everything and whilst the tannins are certainly approachable it needs a few more years for the oak to fully integrate. Great potential though. ***(**).
    • 1999 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Noticeably less intense nose than the previous two wines, if more mature with some earth and tobacco notes. Attractively flavoured on the palate is somewhat dilute and a touch firm on the medium length finish. Good "lunchtime claret", but nothing more. **
    • 2006 Château Climens - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Barsac
      From memory - a lovely, youthful Barsac, floral, citrus, a touch of tropical fruit but not overly rich and lifted by lovely fresh acidity carrying a long finish.
    Posted from CellarTracker

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  19. Alex - I think we first met at a Clos du Marquis vertical in a room upstairs at a pub on the fringes of the City. I didn't attend the Gruaud-Larose vertical dinner at The Ledbury.
    Thanks for posting the notes Paul - some notes on Cellatracker are saying that the 2000 is coming round, but I'm always wary of the universe of tasters on Cellartracker, especially when it comes to Bordeaux where most people want to drink them younger than forumites.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Alex Jagger and Paul Dellar like this.
  20. Remarkable considering 1977 was universally disparaged. When did you have the 1977 Gruard Larose?

Mahmoud.

21. Circa 1986. Ducru Beaucaillou ‘77 was better- very good but no more than that. I’d imagine they would both be dreadful now.

22. Possible not, because according to Rainer last year:
    With old wines, particularly Bordeaux, one never knows.

23. Correct Richard - it's the CdeM dinner upstairs in that pub I was thinking of, my mistake!

24. Equally surprising to me was a double magnum of the 1992, opened in June this year. Really very good for a very poor vintage
    • 1992 Château Gruaud Larose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (21/06/2018)
      Double Magnum from the cellar, taken to Struan Lodge for the annual fishing party. In remarkably good condition, level into neck, no browning. Cork split, but eventually both halves were extracted intact. Not decanted for fear of rapid deterioration, but that proved entirely unnecessary, and it improved significantly with air. Slightly astringent with noticeable acidity, and a flavour I would describe as "red", deriving from a possible lack of ripeness or from rain-affected grapes. Nevertheless, a very enjoyable accompaniment to roast beef, matching horseradish sauce particularly well! In sum, a pleasant surprise. (90 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

Mark Carrington likes this.
  25. Since I had 6 in the cellar bought at the same time as 6 Smith-Haut-Lafitte from BBR I thought I would give it a try tonight.
    As Kevin Kline said in a Fish Called Wanda as he opened the safe..... “Disappointed”... BUT I will review again tomorrow. Interesting nose,,,tar was the top note.... but the taste rather thin and acidic. I hope for more tomorrow but not that sanguine