2009 and 2014 Cantermerle

In the error of my ways, I very rarely drink Bordeaux but I recently bought bottles of 2009 and 2014 Cantemerle from TWS. I wondered what others thought about opening either vintage soon and whether to decant a certain length of time ahead of drinking them?

In the error of my ways, I very rarely drink Bordeaux but I recently bought bottles of 2009 and 2014 Cantemerle from TWS. I wondered what others thought about opening either vintage soon and whether to decant a certain length of time ahead of drinking them?
I also own 2009 and a bottle a couple of years back wasn’t ready. Keen to hear reports!

I haven’t had either recently Ben but I have tried the 2010 and 2015 quite recently - 6-7 months ago. The delightfully precocious 2015 was readier than the grumpier 2010, which I nevertheless have high hopes for. My guess is that the 2014 would be slightly more ready than the 2009 but they both should be approachable. These are generally very good, classically-styled, clarets.

I was given some 2014 as part of a gift from my in-laws.
I think i tried one bottle in about 2020 after getting in and put the other 2 bottles away for a long sleep. It was rather locked down and didn't have much charm. How much of that is the 2014 vintage vs the phase it's in i don't know

The general rule I follow with Bordeaux is that you can drink them for their youthful fruit for the first 5 years then leave them until they have at least 12 as they will shut down and either just close up or become rather inky and not especially enjoyable. Then it is down to your taste as to how long to leave them.

I know that styles have changed and young Bordeaux is less challenging than it used to be but I still suspect a lot of people are put off Bordeaux by opening something nice at between 5-12 years and being disappointed by it. If I want the taste of young Cabernet/merlot then other countries like Chile, South Africa or Australia are generally a better bet.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I might try one of them this weekend.

David, did you get round to opening the 2009?

I had thought that the 2014 might be approachable based on drinking and enjoying the lovely 2014 Jaugueyron Haut-Médoc but I expect that and the Cantemerle might be quite different in profile.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I might try one of them this weekend.

David, did you get round to opening the 2009?

I had thought that the 2014 might be approachable based on drinking and enjoying the lovely 2014 Jaugueyron Haut-Médoc but I expect that and the Cantemerle might be quite different in profile.
More pleasure to be got from the 09 imho.

Yes, a 2 hour decant for Bordeaux has always worked for me. 30-40 I’d open a few hours in advance and probably decant about an hour before drinking. I’d only slow oxygenated Bordeaux Cru with no decant if over 50 years old.

David, thank you for letting me know.

I confess I opened my single bottle of 2009 last week and by contrast didn’t enjoy it.

Mine seemed impenetrably glossy after 2 hours in the decanter. I decanted it back into and vacuvinned the bottle. The wine had lost some of its glossiness 2 days later when I came back to it but was still a little rich for my taste, particularly on the finish.

Maybe I had a lesser bottle than yours? I almost never drink claret and so my palate might also just be too unaccustomed.

I'd have expected the 2009 to be pretty grumpy, I think that year should be left alone for a while. I've not had Cantemerle 2014 but I'm happily drinking some of the lesser (but still good) left-bankers - recently Le Bosc (St Estephe) was singing and dancing beautifully; Caronne-St-Gemme v. nicely open; but Charmail (much touted by TWS) not really doing it for me yet..maybe it never will..