2016 Port - universal declaration?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Tom Cannavan, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Looks a bit like it with all the Symington properties (Graham’s, Dow’s, Warre’s, Cockburn's), Noval and Romaneira all declaring they will make a 2016 Vintage Port over the past 24 hours.

Ben Kenifick likes this.
  2. Interesting.

3. Interesting indeed, I understand this was quite widely expected after the dearth of declarations last year (which was reported to be high quality).

However, as I approach 30, perhaps I am getting too old for Port EP ;)...

4. Blimey! 30?

5. Is it Saint George’s day already?

6. I declare that I won't be buying any! 2011 was my last vintage.

7. I stopped at 2007. If I’m still here in 20 years this will become a matter of small regret.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  8. Not St George's day for a couple of weeks. Taylor's won't officially declare Fonseca, Croft or Taylor until then... but I fully expect them to.

9. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Well, I departed 30 an awful long time ago, and I probably won't indulge personally either; more a combination of having rather a lot of Port in the cellar and very few occasions when I open one these days.

Neil Holland and Ian Black like this.
  10. I was discussing this very thing with Colin Bradley of this parish just the other day - I always think you need at least 6 people to justify opening a bottle of VP, and it is rather a lot of alcohol at the end of a meal, so the opportunities to indulge are limited.

I pretty much gave up buying true VP a good few years ago - single quinta makes so much more sense, as they are half the price and already have 15 or so years bottle age on them. Taylor's Vargellas, Fonseca Guimaraens, Graham's Malvedos, Dow's Bomfim, Warre's Cavadinha are all excellent, and can be picked for around £20 pretty much ready to drink.

11. Pretty much my position these days too. Though I would add that a bottle of fine aged tawny or a colheita is an excellent substitute, as it won't get over-fussed if you don't finish it in one sitting.

Rik Berry and Nicholas Frost like this.
  12. I agree, and to be honest it is the old Tawnies and Colheitas that I really love.

Ian Black likes this.
  13. Same here.

That's why I generally buy halves

14. Halves of VP are brilliant - if you can get them. I bought a case of 1999 Sandeman Vau in halves and also have a few 2005 Croft Quinta do Roeda.

15. Yes, I can empathise with that.

Halves are indeed a better proposition, though perhaps quarter bottles would be the most useful format.

The single quinta ports are good, but in my experience at their best they're the match only for the poorer end of vintage ports.

Tawnies and colheitas are where the best drinking are to be found.

Ian Black likes this.
  16. I think Fonseca Guimaraens in particular is as good as most Port houses Vintage. Taylor's Vargellas isn't that far behind either.

17. Does anybody admit to opening their VP young? e.g., 2011's
    The first time I encountered this (i.e., served for drinking not tasting) was Taylors 1992 in 1996 in France, and it was suitably impressive. It might be everyone's idea of drinking VP but it isn't necessarily a bad idea, just different.

I bought a little 2011 Port and I am tempted to crack open a bottle. A sample of Nacional 2011 at a Noval tasting at Hedonism was so impressive and - dare I say it - drinkable (but may have closed down in the intervening period of two years).

18. Whilst I drink tawnies, crusted & single quintas, ultimately, I am steadfast in believing Vintage Port is rhone & only true way. Moreover, half a bottle? That’s is a compromise too far.
    How much VP do I drink? A bottle a year, for the reasons mentioned above.
    Off to lunch at friends this weekend. It's traditional we finished up with a nicely matured Port. Fingers crossed he has some Warre's '85 remaining.

Paul, the Warre's 2007 was stunning 12 months ago & caused me to buy a couple more.

19. Young VP can be a really enjoyable, even exciting, drink but I never seem to open any of mine until they’re at least 20 years old, and preferably 30.

20. I enjoy them extremely when very young. I like them old, too, but it seems they age so slowly that there's no real point in waiting. 85s and 63s, for example, to take a couple of recent examples, have certainly softened but otherwise don't seem to me to have matured in any significant way, one seems to need 60 or 70 years for that. I like the effect fierceness has on sweetness.

Ian Black likes this.
  21. I think some of that fierceness has been ascribed to the quality of the grape spirit used in the past. Most port houses claim to use more accurately distilled spirits these days (by their own admission!)

22. I was thinking more of the exceedingly bracing tannin one sees in very young VPs. There's no price advantage, though, they cost the same or more than older bottles.

23. Yes, that would be the other source (which is why I rather like Douro reds!). But I think there has been a general move towards VP's that are more approachable in their youth.

24. Same here, except that I stopped at 2004. Actually it was supposed to be 2003 (Noval and Churchill) but a bottle of 2004 Quinta do Roriz VP was so refined and elegant that I had to buy a couple of bottles. Now I only backfill when the opportunity arises.

Mahmoud.

25. Yep! I always taste them young. Drunk a bottle each of the 94s when they first landed. Fantastic then, and except for a few instances (e.g Martinez) even better today ;-)

Mahmoud Ali and Paul Day like this.