NWR 6N 2023

Looking at the draw it is unlikely they will beat New Zealand or France!
Aye but they don't have to meet them until the final. Jones will come home a winner with another final appearance and English rugby with egg on it's face!

I'm surprised the top 4 teams in the world weren't evenly distributed through the pools. It would have made for a more exciting tournament.

Actually France has only been convincing (and thrilling against England) once in 4 matches... so they have a challenge with Wales and the England Ireland result may become irrelevant, the best chance for England to recover some pride.

Actually France has only been convincing (and thrilling against England) once in 4 matches... so they have a challenge with Wales and the England Ireland result may become irrelevant, the best chance for England to recover some pride.
Wales have been even worse than England this 6N, and that’s going some. France will walk it by 30+.

If England can keep Ireland to within 20 points they’ll have done a good job. Sorry state of affairs the English game currently.

Aye but they don't have to meet them until the final. Jones will come home a winner with another final appearance and English rugby with egg on it's face!

I'm surprised the top 4 teams in the world weren't evenly distributed through the pools. It would have made for a more exciting tournament.
Given that the top 4 in the world at RWC 2019 were SA, England, NZ and Wales, the draw seems to very much look in the rear view mirror when it comes to seedlings. in a more balanced view with current rankings, Scotland would be seeded and both England and Wales would have been in a pool of death.

England can feasibly be unconvincing SF contestants without doing more than beat the Pumas!

Given that the top 4 in the world at RWC 2019 were SA, England, NZ and Wales, the draw seems to very much look in the rear view mirror when it comes to seedlings. in a more balanced view with current rankings, Scotland would be seeded and both England and Wales would have been in a pool of death.

England can feasibly be unconvincing SF contestants without doing more than beat the Pumas!

You can only beat the team in front of you - although on current form. England may not be capable of doing that.

It has ruined the game which thankfully England were contributing to. Mitigation rules are too narrowly defined as presently written. And Jacob Piper is always a stickler- but even if he wasn’t I can’t really see how he could have arrived at a different decision given all the publicity around head injuries. I don’t agree with O’ Driscoll about Steward failing in his duty of care. Simply impossible for Steward to have done anything different! And that should be one of the mitigating circumstances.

First of all - huge congratulations to Ireland on getting the 6N and that they and France will be a huge threat to SH dominance at RWC.

When I saw that Jaco Peyper and Marius Jonker were ref and TMO I sent a txt to my brother hoping we were not going to have a game riven by controversy.

Sadly the combination of the most lethal law arbiters plus the extreme lack of any common sense in World Rugby combined to make this an inevitability. I accept the need to develop safe tackling technique but the lack of any common sense when assessing incidents where there is almost no way to avoid a contact is killing key games. And before anyone says English sour grapes, perhaps they need to think how they felt when their team has a similar incident. Bearing in mind the forward pass meant Irish player 2m closer to Steward and he has milliseconds to adjust - give me a break.

Clearly we did not have much to gain today other than pride. What are the odds we get something similar in RWC final or semi? Maybe then World Rugby can try and bring common sense back but also continue to work on tackle technique. Otherwise every result will be like today with an * against it.

Sadly the combination of the most lethal law arbiters plus the extreme lack of any common sense in World Rugby combined to make this an inevitability. I accept the need to develop safe tackling technique but the lack of any common sense when assessing incidents where there is almost no way to avoid a contact is killing key games. And before anyone says English sour grapes, perhaps they need to think how they felt when their team has a similar incident. Bearing in mind the forward pass meant Irish player 2m closer to Steward and he has milliseconds to adjust - give me a break.
Peter, you still can't quite convert imperial to metric. It was a wee flick forward.

The flaw in current law is mitigating would can be a complete accident, which this was. Having said that, I still thought there was mitigation in the fact Keenan was falling into the collision (I won't call it a tackle). That should have at least been discussed.

I really do think intent should be added to making a decision like this. With technology one can interpret the difference. As the Willis yellow card testifies.

Well done England for turning up! Of course finishing at 13 versus 15 of the team ranked N1 in the world did not deliver a real contest but this is all right. Ireland won a grand slam for their superstart and this is a beautiful story. Congratulations
England showed up and a 15 versus 15 match may have delivered for them. Without knowing the rule, I noted the Irish player had his head quite low trying to gather the ball.

Did not see the French match (I got back from ski on 27th minute of Ireland England because the bloody truck driver are blocking the motorway so we had to take evasive yet delaying action) but assume it was a good match (will see)
There will be an exciting World Cup hoping if we can avoid frustrating events

Did not see the French match (I got back from ski on 27th minute of Ireland England because the bloody truck driver are blocking the motorway so we had to take evasive yet delaying action) but assume it was a good match (will see)
There will be an exciting World Cup hoping if we can avoid frustrating events
Galthie would probably have preferred last week’s games as his final pre-RWC signoff, but it also means that he and the rest of the coaches have things to focus on before le kick off against Les Tous Noirs - what a juicy prospect!

Peter, you still can't quite convert imperial to metric. It was a wee flick forward.

The flaw in current law is mitigating would can be a complete accident, which this was. Having said that, I still thought there was mitigation in the fact Keenan was falling into the collision (I won't call it a tackle). That should have at least been discussed.

I really do think intent should be added to making a decision like this. With technology one can interpret the difference. As the Willis yellow card testifies.
it could have been 200m and no mitigation would have come in. I am sorry but these guys have form, Sean. I recall they caused Ireland some frustration at Twickenham a few years back. Ireland deserve their slam but am sure they would have preferred a BP win against 15 not 13. And I hope you don‘t encounter them in a final against France.

I thought Wales looked much better than expected. At least they seem to be showing some improvement.

Interesting that neither Ireland or England had received any cards of either colour prior to this weekend. The red certainly ruined the game, which until them was close without being particularly exciting or entralling.

Ireland deserved winners of the grand slam.
We will never know if the match would have ended with a different score line had the incident have been viewed differently, which is a shame. I do think that ireland would have won anyway as englands discipline was poor and ireland, when they made the right decision, were very good.

IRB rules need to change through.