NWR 6N 2023

Not the 6N but just watched one of the most compelling games of rugby I can recall in over 60 years . Blues v Crusaders . Absolute quality on both sides . Enthralling match .
Yes ,
great entertaining game but some woeful talking by both sides.
licking my wounds today being a Northcote man

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ireland go on from here and step it up further.They were excellent

Ireland are an excellent team, congratulations to them.
As a viewer I feel cheated of an entertaining match by a marginal red card when England were putting up a great fight.
You’ve got to wonder what if they had kept 15 on the field? Atm they just can’t buy a bit of luck.
I’ve got to say for me the Irish guy charged head first at Steward having stumbled to pick up an obvious forward pass. I think steward must have thought the ball would be loose. Steward did mitigate by turning unfortunately he just made it look worse. Marginal in my opinion.

It was a harsh red, Steward looked to be trying to avoid contact. In gathering the ball Keenan accelerated into a near static Steward.
Elsewhere Ludlam takes one to the head with no sanction...
It's a ruck Neil and as far as I can see Porter didn't break and rules pertaining to Law 16. Mitigation comes in as there was a degree of control, and it was passive as opposed to dynamic. Also there was a low degree of danger. The only thing Ludlum was in danger of getting was cootie!

What I can't understand about the Steward incident was that why couldn't they mitigate down to yellow for 2 reasons, Keenan dropping into the tackle and Steward's intention wasn't to tackle but to fly hack, when he saw the all too late imminent danger he tried to avoid.

1679403125062.png
While not quite on fire, Wales , the red devils!... did improve... as far I could figure out watching highlights next to a heartening fire...
World cup is going to be exciting... let's hope the referees do not screw it up again... we want fair contest! Panem et Circenses!

What I can't understand about the Steward incident was that why couldn't they mitigate down to yellow for 2 reasons, Keenan dropping into the tackle and Steward's intention wasn't to tackle but to fly hack, when he saw the all too late imminent danger he tried to avoid

Peyper asked the assistants to confirm that there was no mitigation and so the lack of an answer at that point sealed the red.

I might be in the minority but I actually think the sending off can't be that surprising. It was very unfortunate, and it also spoiled the game as a contest, but it's one of those things.

It removes the blemish from Steward’s record but means we will always wonder how the game might have evolved if England had been back to 15 from 50 minute point. but hey, life is too short and result unlikely to have been different . Would be good for the whole of rugby if Peyper got dinged and removed from IRB panel. Wishful thinking I suspect.

Anyway we can now move onto the more interesting topic of RWC speculation. Will we get first NH winner since 2003?

Fair play to the authorities for admitting the mistake. Sadly, I would have expected them to close ranks and defend peyper so I’m pleasantly surprised. Clearly, peyper is now on notice which I think is all that’s required at this stage. At the end of the day, no matter how silly the decision, he was acting based on player safety first and foremost.

Very interesting. I think the refs feel they have no discretion and have to referee to the letter of the law. They are all too scared to set a precedent and be told "it wasn't up to you to decide, just follow the strict law." This decision could be quite timely.

The game was very evenly balanced at the time and could easily have gone either way. Ireland weren't looking that flash and England were gaining some confidence.

There's a real chance this time if neither team has peaked too soon. Both France and Ireland are teetering on the edge of looking (understandably) tired. I'd prefer it to be France over Ireland I will admit because of their style of play, and you can never write off SA or NZ. Bring it on.
Obviously I would hope not. I also think not. There's a clear difference in Ireland's approach to each game it starts than 4 years ago. The self belief is there, not to win a world cup or win a Grand Slam, but to win the game that is in front of them at that present moment. France in the quarter or semi finals will be the next "step up" for Ireland. It will be a greater task than any of the last 10 games. But we've got the best coaching team in the world and a squad that listens to their coaches.

Obviously I would hope not. I also think not. There's a clear difference in Ireland's approach to each game it starts than 4 years ago. The self belief is there, not to win a world cup or win a Grand Slam, but to win the game that is in front of them at that present moment. France in the quarter or semi finals will be the next "step up" for Ireland. It will be a greater task than any of the last 10 games. But we've got the best coaching team in the world and a squad that listens to their coaches.
Key question for me would be about squad depth to handle the inevitable fatigue and injuries in the run up to and during the tournament. I'm not close enough to the situation with any of the top sides to know which one really has an advantage/weakness in that regard.

Key question for me would be about squad depth to handle the inevitable fatigue and injuries in the run up to and during the tournament. I'm not close enough to the situation with any of the top sides to know which one really has an advantage/weakness in that regard.
Well that's essentially a problem all the teams have. Ireland showed their depth with the amount of changes through out the 6N ultimately with bizarre situation of playing 3 props against Scotland for most of the second half. With plenty of capped players who didn't make the final 23.

Lowe, Hansen and Keenan, I think were the only players who played all 5 games.

One aspect that set Ireland apart from France was they played 5 games with the same consistent tempo, never disappointing in any of them. France didn't have that same consistency. I hope their "England game" is against the All Blacks. They're at home though. It's going to be a cracking World Cup.

Ireland or France for me. I ain't going to jinx them though and come right out and say.....