TN 95 Claret

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Simon Grant, Jul 12, 2018.

1. 1995 BORDEAUX - (12/07/2018)

• 1995 Clos Fourtet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
      Slightly dusty nose. Not giving much. Smooth and more open on the palate. Resolved. No great complexity, but smooth and very drinkable. ***1/2 (90 pts.)
    • 1995 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
      Lots of sediment in this pour. Dark and slightly velvety on the nose. Similar but slightly muddied with sediment on the palate. Structured and quite dense. A cleaner pour reveals brighter fruit and more focus. Still quite serious, but quite classy too. ***+ (91 pts.)
    • 1995 Château La Lagune - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
      Corked NR (flawed)
    • 1995 Château Lafon-Rochet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
      Pencil lead and a touch of tobacco. Not particularly gracious. A food wine. Certainly drinkable but won’t set the world alight. Upper *** (89 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Rauzan-Ségla - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
      More floral onthenose. Date I say it, violets. Lovely lift, though it becomes quite cherry brandy-like with air and shows some VA. Quite a lot upfront initially before it falls away. Slightly furry on the finish. A little disjointed. Some VA lift. ***1/2 (90 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
      Not quite as open and giving as the Rausan seemed. Very smooth and rounded though. Nicely plush. Mid weight. Decent length. Attractive. Almost there. **** (92 pts.)
    • 1995 Château d'Armailhac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
      Proper Pauillac nose. Blackcurrant. Harmonious. Not quite the stuffing or style of the rest of the flight, but very decent. ***1/2 (90 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
      Blackcurrant leaf, slightly herbal. A slightly dry edge to the finish. Quite a bit here. Savoury, but cool fruit and some depth. Lovely. **** (92 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
      Slightly stewed, roasted character on the nose. Very Pauillac palate with a sweet fruited mid palate. Finished well. **** (91 pts.)
    • 2003 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
      2 halves, very consistent. Deepest amber. Sweet. Nothing medicinal here. Barley sugar. Weighty but balanced. Better than last couple of bottles. Encouraging. **** (91 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

More open for business than I’d anticipated.

My preference:
    1: Leoville Barton
    2: Pichon Lalande
    3: Palmer

Group Voting:
    1: Pichon Lalande
    2: Leoville Barton
    3: Palmer

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. LB ‘95 is a cracker. I’m starting to find some bottle variation in Rieussec ‘03.

3. Three corked bottles! The wine god was displeased...

Alex Jagger likes this.
  4. I also really enjoyed the Haut Bailly '95 opened late at Bdx Wimps last week, lots of typicite, Haut Bailly finesse and perfectly open for business.

Wine gods def in a grump about the footie last night as my Lagrange '02 was faulty too.

5. Yes indeed and very irritating too.
    Sadly the 90s were not only when the complacency of even the top cork producers was at its height but, before ALL sources and the creation of TCA and its relatives like TeCA [and TBA elsewhere] were understood, these haloanisoles had also managed to infect wooden structures and containers in wineries worldwide with some famous Bordeaux producers amongst them - requiring major rebuilding and renovation for some.

6. Good to hear from you Nigel. Hope all well.

Ducru and its issues were discussed last night!

7. It was at a friend's place where my worst "wine god" moment took place. The '75 Gloria, an '82 Opus One, and an '85 Heitz 'Martha's Vineyard' Cabernet were all corked.

I've not had another chance to taste those wines again. Sigh!

8. Yes good to see you posting again Nigel. Wondered where you'd gone. Trust all is well!
    Nigel

9. Thanks to all the attendees specially to Fletcher for organising another fun night. Shame about the flawed bottles.... :(

Paul Dellar likes this.
  10. Thanks to Fletcher for organising and the others for their wines.

Some bum notes with the flawed wines but also a better showing for this vintage than a couple of others I've attended.

Looking forward to the next two!

Paul Dellar likes this.
  11. I enjoyed the evening very much and liked the room at Piccolino. Thanks Fletcher for organising.

The first few wines gave me the fear of another grim 95 horizontal - anyone at Toulouse Lautrec a few years back will know what I mean!

But the last couple of flights really came out to play - Pichon Lalande, Leoville Barton and GPL being my favourites.

Having said that I wouldn't buy any of these wines at the prices they now command.

Will Taylor and Paul Dellar like this.
  12. Thanks all for your generous contributions, company and wine.

I thought the vintage showed well. I’d be pretty much happy with any of the wines in my cellar. Alas, the reason I wanted to do 95 is that I have and have tasted so little.

My, sparse, notes didn’t make it home. Thank you for those above. I’m glad we got a little ankle in the end.

13. Yes, a very enjoyable evening. It really is a good off-line location - the room and table are both excellent.

It was a shame about the faulty bottles - I was also a touch troubled by the Lynch-Bages and have definitely had better bottles of the Rauzan-Segla. However there were excellent wines on show too:

1995 BORDEAUX - Piccolino, Exchange Square, London (12/07/2018)
    • 1995 Clos Fourtet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
      Medium/deep garnet core, pale garnet rim. Red fruit, creamy edge, touch of herb and soil. Medium bodied, creamy red fruit, soil, soft tannins, fresh acidity, nice savoury edge on good length finish. Excellent. (90 pts.)
    • 1995 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
      Deep garnet, narrow rim. Iron, coffee, earth. Medium bodied, slightly muddy/indistinct, earthy, fresh acidity, firm tannins. End of bottle so NR
    • 1995 Château La Lagune - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
      Corked NR (flawed)
    • 1995 Château Lafon-Rochet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
      Deep ruby/garnet. Blackcurrant, touch of spice, earth. Quite developed. Medium bodied, minerally black fruit, still slightly firm tannin, some richness and depth here, fresh acidity, medium-good length finish. VGI/excellent. (89 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Rauzan-Ségla - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
      Deep ruby/garnet. Nose quite red fruited,a slightly odd lactic note. Medium bodied, soft tannins, red-toned fruit, balanced acidity, a touch firm on the finish. Perhaps not the best bottle of this. (88 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
      Deep garnet. Red and black berries, florals, minerally edge. Medium bodied, soft tannins, smoky mineral edge again, fresh acidity, quite long with just a touch of firmness still at the tail end. Excellent though, and still with something in hand. (92 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
      Deep ruby/garnet. Smoky black fruit, mineral, cedar. Classic claret nose. Medium/full bodied, minerally black fruit, vibrant acidity, long, still slightly firm finish. Excellent/outstanding. (93 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
      Again some gravelly mineral on the nose, underlying red-toned fruit, touch of spice. Medium bodied, red fruited, cedar, balanced acidity, medium-good length finish. (90 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
      Very deep garnet. Rich, deep, black fruited nose, earth notes, the odd whiff of mustiness. Medium/full bodied, rich black fruit, fresh acidity, tannins constricting the finish. Perhaps slightly corked 88? (88 pts.)
    • 1995 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
      Deep ruby/garnet. Spicy red and black berry fruit, herbal edge. Medium/full bodied, cool black fruit, herbal notes again, with richness to which turns savoury on the very good length finish. Excellent/outstanding. (93 pts.)
    • 1995 Château d'Armailhac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
      Deep garnet, ruby, narrow rim. Medium/full, mouth-filling cedary, cool dark fruit, earth, perhaps a slightly short finish. (90 pts.)
    • 2003 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes
      Attractive gold colour, with salmon tints. Rich, peachy fruit, cream, custard powder. Full bodied, luxurious, weighty, but with good acidity too. Lovely. (92 pts.)
    Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for organising Fletcher!

14. Full WOTN Results:

Pichon-Lalande - 21 votes
    Leoville-Barton - 16 votes
    Palmer - 14 votes
    GPL - 8 votes
    Lynch-Bages - 6 votes
    Conseillante - 1 vote

Chiu Lin likes this.
  15. Anyone tasted the 1995 Pichon Baron recently? I've got a box that's winking at me in the cellar?

16. Christopher - I tasted the 95 Baron recently but can’t remember where. It showed well and seemed nicely resolved.

Back to last night, my impressions:

Clos Fourtet - nice velvety mouthfeel, lush though not very expressive palate with appealing dark chocolate notes. Quite a big wine with swathes of unobtrusive tannins on the back end, but this is approachable, impressive and enjoyable. It does however lack precision, finesse or elegance. 90

La Conseillante - nice plumminess but a bit of lactic as well, big framed and austere for this estate - diametrically opposed to the charming precocious Conseillantes of the 1980s. If I had a case I would sell, but I only have three bottles which I will keep and hold. 89

La Lagune - evolved colour and nose the palate is not right and this is corked -NR

Lafon Rochet - Nice smooth entry, quite reticent brooding and inexpressive but eminently approachable. Not much complexity here, but will hold well. 88

Rauzan Segla - notoriously curmudgeonly wine this still has some spikey tannins. The greater concern is fruit and the slightly wobbly mid-palate. The tannins are still swinging with abandon, while the fruit has its gloves over its ears. I still have faith (I own the lion’s share of a case) but not a great showing. 87

Palmer - captivating Palmer nose, expansive somewhat brawny palate with a good finish. Quite resolved but can improve. Undistinguished and uncultured compared to classier Palmers like 88, 96 and 99, but one of the better wines last night. I still have a full case and I will probably keep it, but am tempted to sell it. 91

Leoville-Barton - chewy, proper wine but still with boat loads of rumbustious tannins still loitering. Can still use time, and while this is an excellent wine, the 2001 and 2004 have moved the game on. I have a case of this and I look forward to drinking it in the 2020s. 91

Grand-Puy Lacoste - one of my favourite 1995s this wine has not evolved at all in the last ten years. This is surly, but has impressive mid-palate density and alluring chewy fruit. Elegance and finesse are not words you would use to describe this wine. I have eight bottles in bond, and no need to fret about releasing these anytime soon. Last time I gave this 95, last night 92.

D’Armailhac - perhaps the most charming wine last night, this is resolved, relatively relaxed text book Pauillac. Pleasing, but not outstanding. 90

Lynch Bages - in my opinion the most interesting and enjoyable wine last night. Quite a few reservations were expressed about this but to me it had a riveting and quintessentially Pauillac mid-palate core and typicity. A bit rough round the edges perhaps, and definitely old school, but the classic leafy mid-palate was enthralling. 93

Pichon Lalande - my pre-match favourite this suffered a bit after the Lynch in my opinion. This bottle lacked the precision of the Bages, and came across as listless by comparison. I have had much better bottles of this. 90

Rieussec 2003 - absolutely super, very pleased with this. 92

We all went into to this with varying degrees of trepidation and I came away with mixed feelings about this enigmatic vintage, in which I still have a lot of belief but that faith is being tested. That belief stems from having tasted wines like Lafite (wotv) Mouton, Haut-Brion and Ducru Beaucaillou which really are top drawer wines in 1995.

But many of the wines last night were lacking in charm, elegance and finesse - which you don’t tend to get in these vintages like 75, 86 and 95 - but perhaps more worryingly after 23 years many of these wines lack precision and complexity.

I invested heavily in this vintage and don’t regret it but they are taking far longer to come round than I expected. For example most 75s and 86s were drinking well at this age. Reluctantly I have to say this vintage is behind 1996 and definitely behind 2000 in overall merit.

It was good fun again last night with the crew and well done and thank you Fletcher for marshalling the troops with aplomb.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  17. 1995 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart - France, Champagne

Bruised apple and cinnamon on the nose, real evolution here. Feels like in a gentle decline but not in a bad place at all. Suspect a tad fresher 5 or so years ago. 87 points

1995 Clos Fourtet - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru

Some ground white pepper on the nose to start although a bit reticent. Some coffee notes emerge. Tannins a tad prickly but nice savouriness here. Although the palate improves with air a slight coarseness remains. On the rustic side but good freshness and still slightly puckering acidity. 88 points

1995 Château La Conseillante - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol

Darker fruit on the nose here than the Fourtet. Palate shows finer grained tannins and a cooler fruit profile. Some lovely citrussy notes emerge at the end. Good length. 90 points

1995 Château La Lagune - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc

Corked

1995 Château Lafon-Rochet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe

Meaty nose, some greeness and interest to the nose. Palate starts fairly fiercely with chunky tannins but some air takes of a number of the edges. Still on the foursquare side and similar to a bottle at the Bromley Wine Circle a couple of months ago. 89 points

1995 Château Rauzan-Ségla - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux

Blueberry confit nose, real sense of precision. Tannins right up there with the Lafon Rochet but slightly more refined. Palate has something exotic about it. Rum and raisin ? Good length but a tad disjointed. 90 points.

1995 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux

Red fruited nose, some white pepper and cranberries. Finer tannins and better balance than either of the previous wines with good acidity. Still something of a brute for a Palmer buy hey that’s ’95 for you! Fruit profile opens up with air. 91 points my 2nd fave WOTN

1995 Château Léoville Barton - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien

Now that’s what I’m talkin’ about… Complex red fruit driven nose, real interest here. Palate ready to go, savouriness, cedar and freshness. Fabulous length too. At the end of the evening final sip just lovely 92 points (my WOTN)

1995 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien

Corked

1995 Château Léoville Poyferré - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien

Corked

1995 Château Grand-Puy-Lacoste - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Slighly porty nose for me to start (poured the warmest of the wines). Some red fruits also there some sandal wood and spice emerge. Good effort 89 points.

1995 Château d'Armailhac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Fresh cool fruit, palate still tight and tannins not fully resolved. Opens out with air 88 points

1995 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Classic Pauillac nose. Palate fresh with cool blueberry fruit. Good balance too. My 3rd choice for WOTN 91 points

1995 Château Lynch-Bages - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac

Nose really subdued on my pour. Exotic and not in a good way. Palate has some freshness but short and stewed for me. A shame 85 points

2003 Château Rieussec - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes

Almond / Pistachio brittle nose. Barley sugar and some lime emerge. Pineapple and something slightly saline too. Marzipan after 20 mins the glass. Very good. 91 points.