A fun wine that's new to me - Vermador

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alex Lake, Jun 13, 2018.

1. From this evening’s tasting at Stone Wine, this Airén and Macabeo blend is a goodie, brought in by Albion Wines. The first wine of a tasting is always tricky and my first sip left me thinking it was a bit “meh”, but coming back to it threw new perspective and new light. Trying again at home resulted in further rise in the esteem in which I held it. An interesting texture and white stone fruit that puts me in mind of southern Rhone whites. The skin contact gives this the feel of a classy rosé - think Tempier or similar. Anyone here tried it? Goes for about 11 quid (but I suspect there's a lot of margin in there)
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 22.09.34.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Andrew Stevenson likes this.
  2. Yep, you're right - a whopping 300%. Costs under 4 euros in Spain :(

3. Never tried it, as it happens! I'm still mostly wary of Airen as a grape variety (mostly used for distillation into Spanish Brandy and as a base wine for things like Vermut) but I'd be open to grab a bottle. At 4 euros, I think I just might ;)

Alex Lake likes this.
  4. I must say that £11 seemed only a little over-priced to me. If it were £8, I would consider it verging on a bargain for the quality. Hope I wasn't just in a good mood - IYSWIM!
    I wish Decantalo sold it.
    Of course price can be a psychological factor in deciding if you like it. Price a wine too cheap, and the subconscious desire to like it just won't be there. Even if you do like it, you'll assume it's just a trick!

5. As I'm sure you know, such is QPR in most of Spain that these markups are possible for UK merchants! And yes, very true...

6. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

I don't know it, but it seems there are a few people trying to do something a bit more adventurous/serious with Airen these days. A famous wine quiz staple, it was once Spain's most planted variety, but plantings have been reduced massively just in the last decade or so, so it now falls behind Tempranillo.

Fintan Kerr and Alex Lake like this.
  7. It could be a fun summertime experiment. Get hold of 10-15 Airen based wines, try them and see what's going on... Hrm. You may have given me an idea, gentlemen.

Alex Lake and Tom Cannavan like this.
  8. Maybe, following on from Keith's W-20 chardonnay challenge, there could be an Airen one - Alicante vs rest of the world. Now THAT would be exciting! ;-)