Age of sherry bottling question

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Richard Zambuni, Dec 7, 2018.

1. For those who know more about sherry than I do, roughly when do you think this wine would have been bottled? There's a more modern label for this wine nowadays, but I don't know when that was introduced. The wine concerned is Valdespino's Solera Su Majestad. Su Majestad.jpg

2. I can't answer the question but my goodness, what lovely looking bottles.

Alex Jagger and Richard Zambuni like this.
  3. Richard I used to buy a lot of Valdespino's oloroso and amontillado before they changed ownership. What strikes me about these bottles is that (a) I don't remember an age statement in those days (which were pre VORS) (b) your pic looks as if these have frosted bottles, which again I don't remember. So my assumption would be that these are post 1999

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  4. Thanks Tim - so it's possible that it might be a 40 YO sherry if it were bottled in say 2008 at 30 years old and then having ten years in bottle. And Mahmoud I love the old label too! I also really like the labels of the Palmas range as well as the Two Pepe Fino en rama bottlings.

George Marshall likes this.
  5. Technically yes, although having been bottled after 30 years in cask it would be my guess that it's unlikely to improve in bottle

6. Agreed about aging/improvement Tim - out of interest, I was just trying to tie down the age of the wine a bit more closely.

7. My experience suggests that there is evolution in bottle, obviously with wine but also with sherry, desert wines, colheitas, and even whiskies.

A Harvey's Bristol Cream that spent ten years in the living room blossomed into something special. Then there was a full bottle of 20 year-old Jose Maria de Fonseca 'Alambre' Moscatel de Setubal that was bottled in 1989 and was, by conventional wisdom, supposed to have been consumed when fresh. However, in 2009, when it was a 20 years old 20 year-old, it was sublime, so much more complex than the one I had when young. As a result I went out and bought a couple of the less expensive vintage moscatels by the same producer.

Once, when I was in Bangladesh, a friend served me a Laphroaig 10 that had been stored in one-story house. It was one of his older bottles, stored in a bedroom cupboard over several years of summer tropical heat and monsoons. The label was mouldy and termite eaten. As we tasted, it dawned on us that it did not taste quite the same as a fresh bottle. To my mind it lost a wee bit of the Laphroig attack and had edged towards their quarter cask expression if you know what I mean. It was not that old a bottle but heat in a one story flat roofed cement building had speeded up a transformation of some sort.

Comments by some members on this forum regarding the Tio Pepe Fino 'En Rama' also suggests that sherry can evolve in bottle. For my own part I would not characterize Richard's sherry as a 40 year old, rather a 10 year-old 30 year old. It would be interesting to taste it side by side with a fresh bottle.

Cheers ................... Mahmoud.

Leon Marks likes this.
  8. There's a lot no on the bottom right
    An e-mail to the bodega?

Might be worth checking with someone senior at Lea & Sandeman. They have been importing these for years.

9. What are the dates of the "expisiciones" on the label as that sounds like years when it would have picked up medals so may give a rough indication of age?

10. Strangely enough talking of Tio Pepe En Rama I opened a bottle last night with a distinctly unpleasant note of the rind of a strong blue cheese which I assume is a result of the instability TWS refers to - it was however the 2018 bottling not one of the older ones I had found lurking in the cellar which were lovely.