Alcohol-free beers

Discussion in 'The Beer Forum' started by Kinley Smith, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Tried two last night. St Peter's (a brewery I really like) was awful. A gloopy mess of what smelled and tasted like raw molasses and I couldn't finish it (actually I could barely start it). Innis and None (Innis and Gunn obviously) fared a little better. Packed with hops (green tasting from dry hopping too), the bitterness stood in for the lack of body. There was an odd aftertaste of fruit and I wonder exactly why they thought adding Vit C and ginseng was a good idea. Still not one to buy again.

Any recommendations?

2. There is one from Brewdog - Nanny State, which is 0.5% Alc, which I have had and was much better than many others I have tried.

Simon Woolf likes this.
  3. Good timing; I've been working my way through these - Nanny State has been the best so far for me too; Innis & None was interesting (if not particularly 'beer' like? Reminded me a bit of Lilt, actually). Have the St. Peter's in the fridge; may leave it there on that tasting note! Thought Budvar's version was pretty decent, though it was a while back I tried it.

4. I think there was an article in the Telegraph a few weeks ago about the St Peter's beer. Wasn't it brewed because the head brewer could no longer drink alcohol (or something similar)?

5. Tried the Budvar's version tonight, not to our taste. Think the better half summed it nicely - 'this drink makes you think something is missing - the alcohol'

6. I haven't tried the St Peters or the Innis and Gunn. I did read a letter in a recent Whats Brewing where the writer, who couldn't drink alcohol anymore for medical reasons, was quite enthusiastic about the St Peters beer, so I might try this. The Innis and Gunn looks interesting.

All the non-alcoholic beers I have tasted so far fall into two categories: bland and pretty tasteless, or unpleasant. If I couldn't drink alcohol I would drink Fentimans in preference to non alcoholic beers.

7. Jever fun is bone dry & refreshing. Many others have an unpleasant maltiness that I dislike.

+1 on nanny state.

Erdinger & Maisels both make very convincing alcohol free versions of their Weiss beers.

8. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Have yet to find a truly convincing one, having tried a few including St Peter's and thinking that I'd rather pass than drink any of them if circumstances forced me to choose non alcoholic. Same goes for wines too really, where the 'Botonique' adult soft drink I reviewed recently had some proper bitter flavours and a bit of real personality compared to any of the alcohol-removed 'wine's' I've tried.

9. I'd agree with you on the wines Tom, but some of the 0.5% beers are in my opinion pretty tasty and a nice refreshing drink - when one wants carbonation and something bone dry, but without alcohol.
    However, I have never tasted an 0.0% beer that was worth metabolising. I think the process is fundamentally different, to get to 0.0 (rather than 0.5) and always seems to leave a sweet malty aftertaste.