AleSmith Marzipan Speedway Stout (12%)

Discussion in 'The Beer Forum' started by Ian Robinson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. 274D2409-1E10-40E7-87D4-B1DCED0BC1C2.jpeg View attachment 3789 View attachment 3789 EFB7BE0D-CB56-45CB-BC6C-9024CD7294C1.jpeg E92BF46E-149B-4146-B7E8-AB214479DBA8.jpeg

8oz on tap in a tulip glass at AleSmith Brewing Co, San Diego.

Brewed to celebrate National Marzipan Day (I’m not joking). I LOVE marzipan - when I was growing up in Gloucestershire, I used to slice off the marzipan from our Christmas cake and just eat that.

The notion of a marzipan stout - another of the many Speedway Stout variations - worried me, but true to AleSmith form, they delivered. The nose was totally marzipan with a rich creamy body, giving smooth, sweet almond flavours accompanied by a touch of coconut and lovely coffee notes which came from the Vietnamese Expresso that AleSmith used in this stout.

Think of Battenburg Cake and your favourite Costa Coffee French-press in a glass and you have Marzipan Speedway Stout. Fantastic!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  2. I like the idea of this.

I sometimes think I am the only person on Britain that really likes marzipan. They seem to like this more in Europe and the quality is generally much better.

As I used to like it so much when I was younger, my mother stopped putting icing on the Christmas cake and put a double layer of marzipan instead.

3. That’s a great story, Alan. Brings back memories of family Christmases.