TN Anyone opening anything this weekend??

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Andrew Bajorek, Sep 14, 2018.

1. As my VPN crashes yet again, and my PPT corrupts, thoughts turn to the weekend and wine/other beverages... Anything nice going down the hatch this weekend?

2. A very nice lunch in Bath today, pulled together by Nigel P of this parish:

NIGEL P IN BATH - Clayton’s kitchen, Bath (14/09/2018)

• 2008 Perrier-Jouët Champagne Belle Epoque - France, Champagne
      Softer than expected. Not helped by being served in a small trad flute. Chalky minerality and a touch of florality. Hard to tell on this sample. Certainly **(**) but anything more precise is difficult. Mid range for now. (92 pts.)
    • 2006 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne - France, Champagne
      Rich and rounded. More evolved and generous than I’d expected despite the vintage. A good whiff of reduction. Really quite rich and with a generosity. Lovely, and more convincing than previously. **** (93 pts.)
    • 2006 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
      Clean. Nicely waxy with a touch of lanolin and wet wool. A touch of balancing acidity helps keep its line and freshness on the finish. Showing well and opens nicely in the glass. **** (91 pts.)
    • 1999 Pavillon Blanc du Château Margaux Blanc - France, Bordeaux
      Rich and fat without losing its line. Quite serious. Less heady and exotic than a bottle a few months ago. Plenty of interest here, but the sort of thing one would only want a glass or two of. **** (91 pts.)
    • 2010 Domaine Georges Vernay Condrieu Coteau de Vernon - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
      Bottle 1. Fat, slightly sweet-scented with a sense of RS on the palate. Lovely. Almost lost its Viognier character. Rich but with a mineral core coming through. **** (92 pts.)
    • 1986 Paolo Scavino Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
      Magnum. Mid garnet. Very tarry nose. Savoury. Leather with a mature, sweet fruit on the mid-palate. A little clipped on the finish. Still some structure. Lovely with the risotto. ***1/2 (90 pts.)
    • 1964 Fratelli Serio and Battista Borgogno Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
      Slightly fragrant pond water nose. Palest tawny garnet. Most of the pigment has dropped out. OK on the palate. A touch of varnish but just about holding on and with some interest. ** (84 pts.)
    • 1993 Comte Armand Pommard 1er Cru Clos des Epeneaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Pommard 1er Cru
      Dense, dark, still quite tannic with little fruit. Uncompromising and surly. It’s owner thinks it slightly corked and the fruit scalped. NR (flawed)
    Posted from CellarTracker

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. Sorry about the flawed wines, Simon. Given today's run of luck I can't help wondering whether the Esmonin was also slightly discommoded.

4. First impressions of 1999 Ridge Lytton Springs are very good indeed...

Ben Halton likes this.
  5. Can’t compete with Bath, but I did just take a shower and then open a Tillingham Artego 2017 to help me cook a curry. It’s Ben Walgate’s straight Ortega. I’m saving the somewhat more serious qvevri version. This is simple, zippy, appley with more acidity than most get out of this grape. It’s refreshing. Some CO2, but that seems to add a sort of Txacoli quality to it.

Robbie Ward likes this.
  6. Going to open a Maume Gevrey Champeaux 02, forward to which I am looking.

7. And it's quite deliciously in its moment. It needs decanting, as Maume seems always to do. A real treat.

8. This is excellent, so typical. If you want to know what grand cru cramant tastes like, here it is.

E9B0AF1E-2917-4DD3-9D36-ED8299E8AF4B.jpeg

Alex Jagger and David Crossley like this.
  9. Kanonkop estate pinotage 2013. Quite clean, none of the burnt rubber or coarseness often asoociated with this much maligned grape. Rich and lots of warm spice, lifted by herby leaf and ripe, dark berry fruit. I think blind I would guess this was Shiraz, or maybe old vine carignan.
    I like this a lot but my wife thought it tasted of blue cheese, which probably says it all about this poor old grape!

10. Got a few going tonight after a busy week.
    Guigal 2012 Condrieu - nothing special but a decent glass to start
    Sella & Mosca Alghero Marchese di Villamarina 2010 - I drank another bottle maybe 8 months or more and don’t quite remember it being so sour cherry and almost slightly bitter on the finish. Possibly didn’t help it followed the Condrieu and a 2008 Blees Ferber Auslese with some chilli Chinese fish,
    Went well enough with cheese but almost feel this isn’t quite right. Will try more tomorrow.

Finished up with a small Bernard Boutinet Cognac Extra - lovely aromatics. A soft warm finish that goes on with just a fresh edge. I think this had about 25 years age so not super old. Never been a Cognac lover but this could change.

11. Two Jura wines from La Maison du Vigneron. The Chardonnay VV 2014 was quite wild and oxidative and despite obvious wood aromas I still kind of liked it. It's odd how most of the time I intensely dislike any obvious wood aromas and then comes something like this that still works for me. I guess it must be that oxidative note? My love for oxidation is greater than my hate of oak so the whole is still positive?

Their Poulsard Trousseau 2014 was, however, lovely. A very pale red, almost rosé. Lovely earthy and red berry aromas. Weightless on the palate yet with plenty of interest from both purity of fruit and a slight bitterness giving it a bit of edge. Just 11,5% abv and I wouldn't want any more body on it. Lovely light wine.

David Crossley likes this.
  12. OK. As usual SG is pretty much spot on.
    BE ‘08 more than pleasant.
    Comptes. A CC VGI. Better than above.
    The three whites. My favourite the Vernon. The most enjoyable: Pavillon. DdC - hey, not poxed . This be eventually splendid. Vernon - defied Condrieu’s reputation. VGI
    The hazy period. Three reds all awkward. Scavino better with food.
    CSJ. ‘There are only great bottles’. I wasn’t adverse to ‘03; the ‘98 needed lots of air & belied the vintage; ‘96 bingo from the get go; Tissot WotD - Jura eh? It delivered.
    The remainder....it was a long lunch.
    This was a very enjoyable lunch. The service was attentive but not overbearing. Cooking met - surpassed/ what was required.
    Hats off to NP.
    And that’s before LHR Gravonia 07, another Barolo Cicala ‘95 & stray Monte B ‘95.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Nigel Palesford likes this.
  13. What vintage?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  14. The '07 and '09 were both drinking really well over the summer and the NV mags '09 base.

How did i miss the '08's (sold out early) and if anyone could spare a bottle I'd be delighted

15. Don't have any myself, but tasted in April... utterly delicious!

The NV magnum is actually identical to the vintage wine (i.e. single harvest), released a year earlier (two plots in Cramant), as opposed to the Chouilly, Cramant, Oiry blend in the NV's.

16. Yes I know, thats why i quoted the '09 base ;)

17. Sorry though you were implying reserves. Damn. Cat well and truly let out of the bag! :)

Alex Jagger likes this.
  18. Thoroughly enjoyed the Lilbert NV last year.

19. Not drinking but a new box turned up containing a wine I’ve never had before. (So I always get over excited)
    Only 3 half bottles so not sure I’ll be having one on my own but two may certainly be coming to a WIMPS or offline.
    2002 vintage

3702F23A-7B1C-4F91-B66D-B8670E551D22.jpeg

Will Taylor likes this.
  20. Vietti lazzarito 2006 last night. Well into it’s youthful peak and absolutely delicious.

21. Thinking about a Dame de Montrose tonight. A bit young or? Thoughts anyone?

22. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Will report back, but cracking open the first couple of bottles from the £60 Comtes de Champagne stash tonight, 1990 Talbot, and 2000 Zind-Humbrecht Clos Jebsal SdGN. Last night, the Aria di Caiarossa from Caiarossa in Tuscany was really lovely I thought - 2013 vintage blend of Bordeaux varieties and Syrah, very Right Bank-ish, gamy, delicious.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  23. Having featured on Farming Today on Friday morning, I happened upon Giffords Hall Bacchus in M&S last night. This was the very wine tasted (on the radio) currently at £9, on the 1/3 off. Very nice it was too. Light and floral but enough sweetness to carry it off without being blousy.

24. Depends what year :)
    Had a decent enough 2012 not so long ago.

25. The Condrieu opened up a bit today but a new dry white kicks off the day.
    L’avion Roussane. Bought just the one bottle in a summer sale. 2015 vintage and May be best left for a few years though has fair similarity to a Beau Blanc. Medium weight and lovely smooth feel though bit of alcohol on finish.
    Might open up.