TN Ataraxia Earthborn 6 Barrels Chardonnay 2020

I have a bit of a thing for Ataraxia chardonnay. I first tried it over a decade ago and was bowled over by it. This is a top selection from 2020.

Light straw colour. The nose is a little reticent at first but swirling opens it up, a touch of creamy , hazelnut oak. Top notes of green fynbos ( I know that sound pretentious ) but its that piney herby note you get in wine from SA. Peaches, and tropical / pineapple touches with an apple edge. Loads going on, really complex and alluring. The palate follows, razor sharp, crystalline and mineral. Creamy fine green fruit and pineapple. Long, beautiful balance, fine and elegant. This is spellbinding chard, candidate for my white wine of the year. Young but already singing, has plenty in the tank for ageing. Haven't a clue if it is still available on the market , but if you see it, don't hesitate to try it. Outstanding

Probably wine of the trip so far, red or white.
Given its sudden lack of availability, it seems you two move markets! Bravo.

Given its sudden lack of availability, it seems you two move markets! Bravo.

Absolutely, and it appears to be a global phenomenon! :)

As Steve says, we did get some of the Ataraxia 2021 CWG special Chardonnay, which I suspect will be awesome, and Steve found some Ambeloui MCC which is rare as hen's teeth too :)

Sorry it was not possible to meet in Hermanus Tom. I actually came back a day earlier than planned, as I wanted to pick up the two cases of Earthborn before the Wine Cellar changed their mind . They did say there had been a sudden surge in demand :) However, I promise to save a bottle for Steve and yourself to share when you are next in the London area .

Last edited:
Incidentally, Roger Peens of Wine Cellar thinks the skin fermented Chardonnay 2020 is nearly as good. Christian Eedes, a notoriously low scorer , gave it 94 but he does not appear to have tasted the Earthborn

I opened a bottle of this tonight to see what all the fuss is about. Bright pale yellow in the glass the nose is relatively subdued with aromas of white flowers and well integrated French oak. The palate is impressively precise and taut with brisk acidity playing its part. This is a very well made wine that impresses for all the right reasons. It is both measured and intense and the background tropical notes do not detract from the overall mineral impression. Total production is 1800 bottles and I understand 90 bottles came to the UK. You may even find this unicorn at one or two establishments well known in these parts.

<smug alert> A Forumite advises he has secured a half case in S. Africa & has offered to bring me back a bottle. It would be rude to decline, of course.
Edit: The price? £32.50. :D
(I'm not one to moan, but that explains why only a single bottle :)).

<smug alert> A Forumite advises he has secured a half case in S. Africa & has offered to bring me back a bottle. It would be rude to decline, of course.
Edit: The price? £32.50. :D
(I'm not one to moan, but that explains why only a single bottle :)).
Yup I just ordered some more from SA. Though I paid about £28. Just waiting to see it will be picked up or not for VAT and duty. Anyhow as you say so much cheaper than the UK :)

Looks as if Tim Atkin overlooked this one in his SA Report and although I don't have my Platters with me, IIRC Ataraxia was one of the notable omissions from the guide this year, along with Uva Mira, Blankbottle, De Wetshof and Damascene, amongst others

Looks as if Tim Atkin overlooked this one in his SA Report and although I don't have my Platters with me, IIRC Ataraxia was one of the notable omissions from the guide this year, along with Uva Mira, Blankbottle, De Wetshof and Damascene, amongst others
Kevin Grant of Ataraxia,( like Sam O’Keefe of Lismore and others) did not submit his wines to Platter . Not all winemakers do, but I think they are missing a trick as Platters is really the only reliable guide to SA wines.

Kevin Grant of Ataraxia,( like Sam O’Keefe of Lismore and others) did not submit his wines to Platter . Not all winemakers do, but I think they are missing a trick as Platters is really the only reliable guide to SA wines.
Could it be that the Platter submission fees and sticker selling has got a bit high?
Particularly if one has something of limited production.