Bowmore 'Small Batch'

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Mahmoud Ali, Nov 17, 2017.

1. I sense that very few people read or respond to posts here, however I will persist nonetheless.

Recently Bowmore's Small Batch, Bourbon Cask Matured, (40%) was on offer at a tempting price. Despite not being entirely convinced by Bowmore's 12 year-old I decided to give it a try. Much to my surprise I have to say that I was quite impressed. This is an NAS (No Age Statement) and the colour is a light yellow-gold, lighter than the 12 year-old. The nose is very clean, peat, spirit, oak, and a hint of honey combining to make it very enticing. The palate is bright and spirity, here working to effect, thereby making the 40% work, as opposed to the 12 year-old which, I think, needs to bottled at a higher alcohol level. The palate is a melange of peat smoke, maltiness, oak, and tropical fruit (banana and pineapple?), with a long, lingering, smoky finish. Very satisfying.

I had read somewhere that Islays didn't always need as much age as other whiskies but I was unprepared for how nice this was. Highly recommended.

Cheers .................... Mahmoud.

Tom Worthing likes this.