Cellar Club Burgundy Purchases

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Nigel Groundwater, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Our Cellar Club tasted the following wines with a view of purchasing a number of Burgundies in 6 bottle quantities at the Portland restaurant, Great Portland Street on Wednesday evening. It took place in their private room in the basement which seats 10-12 and there were 10 of us there last night.
    It was accompanied by a good 3 course a la carte meal and the bottles were sourced and presented by Jack Chaddock of Robert Rolls.
    Jack, as some of you will remember, was previously with OW Loeb and both before and after leaving that once excellent establishment was instrumental in helping many clients finally get hold of wines they had ordered and paid for. These had appeared to have become trapped or even unavailable due to the apparent chaos caused by the new owners leaving many who had ordered concerned about their purchases.
    The list we tasted follows:
    Whites
    Domaine Gilles & Nathalie Fèvre Chablis Grand Cru Les Preuses 2015
    Domaine Sylvain Langoureau Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru La Garenne 2017
    Domaine Sylvain Langoureau Saint-Aubin 1er Cru En Remilly 2017
    Domaine Michel Niellon Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Vergers 2017

Reds
    Domaine Dubreuil-Fontaine Volnay 2015
    Domaine Rodolphe Demougeot Pommard 1er Cru Charmots 2015
    Domaine Joseph Roty Marsannay Les Ouzeloy 2014
    Domaine Alain Jeanniard Gevrey-Chambertin 2016
    Domaine Coquard-Loison-Fleurot Vosne-Romanée 2015
    Hubert Lignier Morey-Saint-Denis 1er Cru Chenevrey 2013

The Club decided to buy the Niellon white and the Roty, C-L-F and Lignier reds identified in bold.
    Some Champagne [Barnier - not the B negotiator], a Chavignol Sancerre [Delaporte] and a Crozes-Hermitage [producer forgotten] was consumed with dinner. A really enjoyable and productive evening.

View attachment 6029 View attachment 6030
    View attachment 6032

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Sounds like a lovely evening!

Can you post some notes/thoughts? I'd love to hear about the Niellon, D-F, Demougeot, ss well as the bold Reds.

3. I was lucky enough to have a pour of the Roty Marsannay Les Ouzeloy the other day, from the 1993 vintage. Still going strong with plenty of rustic fruit and decent kength. A pleasant surprise.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  4. Stefan

I am afraid I didn't take notes but just provided a ranking since all the wines were good to very good. The 4 that were chosen were all very good and true to type.
    However among the whites the N&G Fevre Preuses was particularly praised with the Neillon [significantly the most expensive] wine, quite different of course, marginally preferred. I also liked the two Sylvain Lanngoureau wines with the St. Aubin. as usual being good vfm.
    All the reds were worthy of consideration with the Club [and my] preferences also appearing to 'follow the money'. Though expensive the village Vosne Romanee was downright and smoothly delicious causing at least some to question its future but IIRC it still ended up top of the list with the 'harder' but still smooth Lignier a close second. The final choice [four wines were being sought] was between the 'bigger' Roty and the 'easier' Dubreuil-Fontaine Volnay with the Roty winning. The Demougeot Pommard was also well regarded but would have been more immediately acceptable IMO had it had more time in the bottle. The preferred reds were frankly very easy to drink, as well as taste, that evening but I don't think that biased the choices to a perverse extent.

I am sorry I cannot be more descriptive or detailed but I hope it is of some use. I am sure that Jack Chaddock at Robert Rolls would be able to provide a much better assessment but I suspect the Club will have made a severe dent in their inventory of those particular wines.

Stefan Bogdanski and Thom Blach like this.
  5. I remember the BGO 93 at fifteen years old, rather remarkable.

6. Thanks Nigel. The longevity of the Ouzeloy doesn't surprise me, the vines are supposedly super-ancient..

7. The 2001 of that wine was superb, but the 2002 rather less so.

An interesting piece by Allen Meadows in Burghound Issue 45 explained that 2001 wines from villages like Marsannay and Fixin were especially good, because the tannins in that year were exceptionally fine & smooth, the product of millerandage (small but fully ripe berries) caused by irregular flowering. The small berries had many less pips, so the tannins were more the product of grape skins than of pips. The same phenomenon occurred in 2010, but not in any intervening year.

I have no idea whether millerandage also occurred in 2014

8. I gather millerandage also occurs commonly to bunches on very old vines, not necessarily perennially but frequently.