Competitive Offers from Retailers

Mention this as D'Arenberg featured recently on the Producers In & Out of Fashion thread. The Great Wine Co (formerly Great Western Wine ?) have up to 25% off this producer's wines (max discount requires purchase of 12 bottles,mixed or same), lesser discounts on single bottle prices. No connection etc

quick look at a couple these^ seem like good prices
I am curious to what this represents, ie. how so much decent stock of a good vintage has found its way to costco without any prior intervention

I guess i'm just surprised that feted wines in a good vintage have reached a mass reseller.
Perhaps i'm naive as to how much of these wines exists, or is the market just soft?

I guess i'm just surprised that feted wines in a good vintage have reached a mass reseller.
Perhaps i'm naive as to how much of these wines exists, or is the market just soft?
Costco have a long standing relationship with many top producers and distributors.
I bought 2005 (at the time the most lauded vintage in the history of Bdx hype) first growths and super seconds in their annual “fine wine tours” and Cristal and DP from 96 vintage through to 08.
It was always a regular source for vintage Bolly.
They have been less of a venue in recent years but suspect that may change as the UK fine wine market adjusts to changed circumstances.

Is it me or does the Bordeaux EP market feel broken when perhaps the best vintage of the last decade is available 4 years later still at release price which is materially below recent releases? What’s the point of buying EP anymore especially with interest rates where they are?
A perfectly reasonable question, Josh....

Often discussed, choosing format is a reason to buy, simply never getting around to buy after the event was a reason for me - although the L&W single bottle option has changed that somewhat.

Many Chateau don't need to offer the incentive for cashflow so as you say it doesn't really work as a model anymore in most cases.

Leoville Barton 2008 was my first bdx EP purchase at £330/12ib, so a doubling in price in 11 years is pretty fair given prices of other wines.

Unfortunately 2008 is wholly unrepresentative though. Launched near the height of the financial crisis, it's the last vintage where Bordeaux actually made an attempt to price the wines competitively. In the event they sold very well, and Bordeaux hasn't made the same 'mistake' again.

I don't have access to Liv-ex to prove or disprove this, but I would guess that a decent chunk of the price appreciation on your LB was in the first 12 months of its life.