Food Cooking chips at home

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Richard Ward, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Following a fairly lengthy period of trial and error, I believe I have finally found/developed a good, reproducible method of cooking really good chips at home. I've tried various methods, sizes, potatoes, oils etc and have finally hit upon this - it's a modified version of Heston's triple cooked method - however, I find more success using King Edwards and shortening the initial boil. I also make my chips thinner than his recipe. Anyway, here goes:

Potato - King Edward
    Oil - brand new, unused rapeseed
    Size - half inch square, length unimportant
    Potatoes completely peeled

Method:
    Phase 1 - rinse in cold water until it runs clear, then place in pan of cold, very salty water. Bring up to gentle simmer and cook for 6 minutes until just flaking at the surface. Drain and cool on a wire rack until completely cold. This seems to be THE critical step.
    Phase 2 - fry in the deep fryer at 130c for 7 minutes. Drain and pat with kitchen paper to remove as much oil as possible, and again cool on a rack until completely cold.
    Phase 3 - fry in the deep fryer at 175c for 6 minutes. Drain on kitchen paper, season with fine sea salt and serve immediately.

It amazed me the difference it made re-using the oil, even just once - the result was so inferior to using brand new oil. I have to say the chips it produces are really, really good, though perhaps not something I should get into the habit of making too often!

Any other forumites use a similar/different method to this??

2. I thought people used beef dripping in Yorkshire!

3. I rather like Thom B's method of bringing them up to the boil in oil from cold. No fuss and the results are excellent.

Alex Jagger and James Starke like this.
  4. Ahhhh, that's only for fish and chips.....and those chips are a very different creature to the home made beast!!

5. I used a similar variation on the triple-cooked method a couple of weeks ago. Basically as per yours, but Maris Piper, and boiled longer and the first fry longer, albeit at 120. Mix of beef dripping and groundnut oil. Best chips I can remember eating. Next modification will be to boil for less time — thirty percent didn't survive the first stage!

IMG_0286.JPG

Alex Lake and Alex Jagger like this.
  6. @Simon Grant, the meat looks a bit overcooked.

Recipe noted and I shall use this asap!

7. Yes Simon, the first time I used Heston's recipe I ended up with potato soup at the end of phase one! Mind you, I know that Maris can take a little more cooking time than King Edward.

8. Indeed — Mrs G likes her's incinerated!

9. The only snag is that it's a full afternoon's work if you need more than one portion. Fortunately the phaff probably has health benefits as I won't go to the bother too often.

The beef dripping is a huge plus to the flavour, and seems to clean up well for reuse. Sets nicely, and if you have a separate fat vat for your fryer, sits back in the fridge under cling film nicely for next time. I got a couple of kilos from T&G.

10. Turner and George

11. I cook chips very rarely ( well except for the oven variety for my five year old ) but I was completely won over by the cold oil Maris Piper Tom B method .

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  12. Isn't it Joel Robuchon's method ? Anyway - it's a good one, and doesn't require all afternoon...which does provide some advantages.

13. It is indeed the Robuchon method- I hope I didn't try to claim the method as my own. I do think vegetable oils other than peanut are pretty horrible though.
    At this time of year one needs to be very sure to have a chippable potato for this, whereas Heston style methods work well even without.

14. My favourite way is a combination of the heston and robuchon methods. Boil first as richard does and then into the cold fat (a mix of olive oil and beef dripping) and heat.

15. Good Lord, Chris, that sounds so counterintuitive that I'll have to give it a try.

16. That must have an awful lot of olive oil given that beef dripping is pretty solid at room temperature.

17. What do forumites use for deep frying? Specially designed stand-alone or regular pan? How big?

18. Thom - what are the hallmarks of a chippable potato at any time of year?

19. I think it's about the amount of starch that has converted to sugar in storage. If that happens the potatoes will go very brown and develop an acrid taste but remain soft which is really not very nice at all, whereas a good potato makes great chips by any method. Unfortunately the only real way to tell is to try frying one though a really good greengrocer should be able to advise.

20. You have to heat it enough to liquify the fat,which harms the method not at all.

21. All this pre-boiling is a bit of a faff, and I think the Bryan Collin's two-step method advocated on the old forum is brilliantly flexible with superb results:

"Maris Pipers, thick cut and covered in a cold mixture of 75% olive oil and 25% goose fat. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 50 (yes 50) minutes. Turn the heat up for 5-10 minutes to colour and crisp things up at the end."

I've found this to be pretty faultless and flexible, albeit using groundnut oil as a base for a higher smoke point.

22. Let me know how you get on Tom, hope it works!

23. Boiling the potatoes as far as you dare in salty water gives the best results from my experience.

24. What did you and Mrs G drink with it - its made me both hungry and thirsty looking at it!