NWR Cover songs that are better than the original

Anything written by Dylan or the Beatles.:)

Interesting one that innit. One often quoted is the Breeders' Happiness is a Warm Gun, but then, turning the post on its head (another fine one btw Kevin - congrats!) every cover by the Breeders is better than the original. Some bands just have that, as Andy notes with Robt Wyatt (who I don't know much by but take his word for it).

See also in this regard: the Fall.

And an actual entry: Handle With Care (Traveling Wilburys) by Jenny Lewis, which allows Jenny to add Roy Orbison, Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne to the Beatles' and Dylan's uncanny inability to half-perform their own creations.

The Dickies, Nights in White Satin

Just listened to that on YT Edward and it's top. Got a soft spot for punk versions of things if well done. Don't know if we've properly defined "cover versions" but I'll slip this lot in before anyone stops me. 0:53, but I appreciate how busy everyone's lives are:

For the grown-ups amongst us, they also did this stormer:

The first of these pairs below includes a reworking of a cover of a cover by Elvis Presley of the Junior Parker original - and one of the third pair is a cover of the other one which itself is a cover of Buddy Holly. Mental innit.

The second pair are rare - I would say - examples of outstanding covers of a canonical Beatles song where the Fab Four themselves really brought it in the original recording - I note no one has ever successfully covered A Day In The Life, their best song. The Wilson Pickett and Duane Allman version may be the best cover version of any song I have ever heard.

The Band with Paul Butterfield - Mystery Train
UFO - Mystery Train
Wilson Pickett with Duane Allman - Hey Jude
Clarence Wheeler & The Enforcers - Hey Jude
Blind Faith - Well Alright
Santana - Well Alright

Warren Zevon - Knockin' on heaven's door
Agree with the Cash covers, stunning.
Byrds covers of various Dylans?
I re-offer the Georgia Satellites and Don't pass me by.
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
And of course Joe Cocker helping his friends.

I think you need to split this into 2 - the best covers of famous songs and the best covers of songs that were not well known before the cover.

Of the later, my favourite 3 are
- Tainted Love , Soft Cell
- Hurt , Johny Cash (Was this well known ?)
- Whiskey in the Jar, Thin Lizzy

For me, the Cash version is best song recording this side of the year 2000.

Best covers of classic songs are:
-Are Friends Electric, Sugababes
-Word Up, Gun (which itself has been covered)
- Sound of Silence, Disturbed

Personal favourites
- Common People, William Shatner
- True Faith - Sophie Ellis Baxter

Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better (James Bond theme)
Inspiral Carpets - Tainted Love
Chicks - I Love You Love Me Love
The Fall - Lost In Music
Blur - Maggie May
Nirvana - the 3 Vaselines songs (Molly's Lips, Son Of A Gun, Jesus Doesn't Want Me For A Sunbeam)
REM - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Manic Street Preachers - Bright Eyes