Craziness of current whisky prices - Aberlour A'bunadh

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Graham Harvey, Oct 19, 2018.

1. I have been interested in whisky since 2012 and have noticed that over the last few years especially prices have gone totally nuts.

A case in point is Aberlour A'bunadh which for those who don't know is a cask strength heavily sherried no-age statement Speyside whisky.

Waitrose used to stock it and I think it was about £40 or at worst £45 and I think I have picked it up for about £36 when there are offers on. Anyway £40 or even £45 is a very fair price for this. Lately I noticed that Waitrose were no longer stocking it and I thought is this a sign that Waitrose are losing their edge? Answer is no. It is now an absolute rip-off at £79,95 if bought online at leading merchants. Apparently the price hiked before the summer.

2. I'd suggest a good batch of A'Bunadh was worth £80 but in the last few years I've noticed a drift to the average. Some of the early batches (in the first 10) were really sublime. Fortunately some decent malts remain at decent prices (Glenrothes special reserve and Benromach Organic spring to mind) but I think the days of anything other than basic malts for >£40 are numbered.

3. £80 sounds crazy, I still have a bottle from a couple of years ago that I got for c. £50-55.

Much better to have Tamdhu Batch Strength or Glendronach Cask Strength, which are still around £55 and just as good (or better)

4. I’ve always thought whisky to be better value than wine. Wouldn’t be at all surprised to see significant inflation here generally.

5. Agree with you on both points Alex