NWR Diego Maradona RIP

I remember the 86 World Cup - I cried like a baby when Argentina beat England. For years I refused to see the brilliance of that 2nd goal because of the first. Now I look at the first goal and think "Shilton, you muppet!".

There is a very good film about him (amazngly called 'Diego Maradona') which is worth a look. What he achieved at Napoli was incredible.

Now I look at the first goal and think "Shilton, you muppet!".

Exactly Paul.

Terrible goal keeping, terrible keeper; and he did it again four years later in the semis against Germany when he was caught embarrassingly flat footed for Germany’s goal.

Apart from Gordon Banks our goalies have generally not acquitted themselves well in World Cup finals - David Seaman embarrassingly caught off his line against Brazil in 2002, Peter Bonetti in the 1970 quarter final come to mind. And then of course Robert Green in 2010...

Interesting article in The Athletic about that England game and how our brave lads spent most of the game trying to kick lumps out of Maradona. Extract below.
From an English perspective, this match is inevitably cast as the devious Argentinian cheating England out of the World Cup (and then scoring, in all fairness to the lad, a well-taken second goal).

What often gets overlooked, however, is the sheer level of physical abuse dished out to Maradona during the game.

This starts after two minutes when Maradona, receiving the ball on the turn inside the centre circle, is bodychecked by Terry Fenwick right in front of the referee. Nothing too unusual about that — Argentina have the ball, play continues. It takes just 30 seconds before he’s fouled for a second time, by Reid, and this time he wins a free kick.

Maradona’s constant determination to dribble inevitably means he attracts fouls, but England take this opportunity rather too liberally. Eight minutes in, Maradona chests the ball down, dribbles inside Kenny Sansom and is chopped down with remarkable force by Fenwick — who is absolutely miles away from the ball, and goes in with a scissor-motion that ensures he brings down Maradona as aggressively as possible.
Having just returned from a suspension for collecting two bookings in the group stage, Fenwick has been booked yet again. For 82 minutes, he’s playing against the world’s best dribbler on a yellow card.

For those 82 minutes, the yellow card should have proved irrelevant. Not because Fenwick was composed enough to resist confrontations with Maradona, but because he could have been shown a straight red card at least twice afterwards.

The most blatant occasion comes five minutes before half-time. Maradona dribbles forward in an inside-left position and slips the ball out to right-sided centre-back Jose Luis Cuciuffo, who responds with a terrible shot that demonstrated why a defender should never wear the No 9 shirt.

Off the ball, though, Maradona had attempted to continue his run in behind Fenwick and been flattened with a blatant elbow. He received treatment from the Argentina physio for a couple of minutes afterwards, and after getting to his feet went up to Fenwick and told him what he thought of the challenge, pointing to him and gesturing with an elbow. Fenwick claimed it was accidental, Maradona shook his head — he wasn’t having any of it.
Can England complain when, two minutes later, Maradona goes up for an aerial challenge and leads with his arm? Was Maradona inspired by Fenwick’s challenge? Was he initially trying to match England’s aggression and using his elbow for brute force, and then ended up being in a position to handle it in?

On 67 minutes — after both Maradona goals — there’s yet another incident when Fenwick throws his elbow at Maradona. Valdano flicks on a long ball, Maradona and Fenwick are again chasing the second ball, and Fenwick again jumps and throws out an elbow into Maradona’s face. This brings a free kick, although Maradona can’t take it because he’s off the field receiving treatment again for a couple of minutes.

Unquestionably the greatest. Nothing against Messi or Ronaldo at all, but what Maradona did on numerous occasions nobody else has come close to even attempting. The archetypical flawed genius.

Great player. RIP.

As to whether he was the greatest of all time for me there are three criteria

1. Recognised as one of the greatest in your generation for skill
2. Scored some truly memorable goals
3. Won trophies including the World Cup Itself

by that reckoning I think the contenders would be
Pelé
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldinho

Puscas, Eusebio, Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Zico, Ronaldo (Brazil), Ronaldo (Portugal) Messi all miss out in some way.

I’d go for Pelé with Maradona runner up.

Great player. RIP.

Pelé
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldinho

Puscas, Eusebio, Best, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Zico, Ronaldo (Brazil), Ronaldo (Portugal) Messi all miss out in some way.

Ronaldinho was skilful too (not just by catching Seaman off his line in 2002):

The Hand of God goal is filthy cheating, but it’s pure fantasy to think it a uniquely “foreign” thing - Sterling, Ali, Kane for example are all proven cheats when they think they can get away with it.

Obviously any player who cheated against England in a World Cup final would be excoriated in the British press, but I do think that the sheer level of loathing that persists in the collective consciousness is in part a hangover from the Falklands.

For me, comparing Messi or Ronaldo to Maradona is like comparing Hendry of Davis to O’Sullivan. Undoubtedly those players are both brilliantly gifted in their own right and massively more consistent; but I think a huge part of the enduring allure of sports figures is that narrative of the flawed/troubled genius. Maradona came from absolutely nothing, and hustled his way to the very top. He was undoubtedly selfish, immature and arrogant but he was also traumatised, fragile and an artist of the highest calibre.

Last edited:
Great player. RIP.

Pelé
Maradona
Zidane
Ronaldinho

I didn't see him play but older fans would add Alfredo di Stefano to your list.