NWR Fantasy Football

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Jo Burns, Jul 29, 2016.

1. I know, I know, it's still July....but is there a new Wine-Pages league in the offing for the shiny new FF site?

2. I have pressed the button and renewed the league. I think you need to enter a side and when you do then you will be added back to the league. (I did the short cut of auto-complete, I'm not ready to think about how poor my team will be just yet)
    If anyone that wasn't a member last year wants to join the code is:
    746701-203145
    So, sign up at The official fantasy football game of the Premier League and then follow the instructions to enter the code above. All are welcome.

Ken Oliver likes this.
  3. A fantasy ...

Diego Maradona decides to come out of retirement and play for Leicester, he goes into the changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" he asks.

"Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Arsenal. They're rubbish and we can't be bothered".

Maradona looks at them and says "Well I know i’m a fat old cheat, but I reckon I can beat them by myself, you lads go down the pub."

So Maradona goes out to play Arsenal by himself and the rest of the Leicester team go off for a few beers. After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the TV on. A big cheer goes up as the screen shows

"Leicester 1 (Maradona 10 minutes) – Arsenal 0 "

He is beating Arsenal all by himself! Anyway, a few more beers later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on" They put the TV on.

"Result from the King Power Stadium: Leicester 1 (Maradona 10 minutes) – Arsenal 1 (Giroud 89 minutes)."

They can't believe it, he has single handed got a draw against Arsenal!! They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands.

He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down, I've let you down"

"Don't be stupid Diego, you got a draw against Arsenal, all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end!"

Maradonna says "No, no, I have, I've let you down!. I got sent off after 12 minutes"

Neil Holland and Peter Webb like this.
  4. I believe one needs to complete one's team by 11:30 UK time. All are welcome, few are mocked. Get on to it.

5. Has a league been set-up for the new season yet?

Looking forward to my annual valiant attempt at breaking into the top 10.

6. I have renewed the League for this season, I ook forward o giving up after a few weeks when I realise I know precious little about current form :)

Ken Oliver likes this.
  7. I did this years ago. It's fun but you have to make adjustments every week and stay up to date with the PL. We have now got free PL games in France with our internet package so maybe it could be fun way to get back into English footie.

I have to say, the clubs in the PL are a bit of a surprise. As a child of the 70s, I would never have believed we would see Bournmouth, Hudds, Watford and Swansea in the place of Sunderland, Leeds, Forest and Blackburn.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  8. Last call for anyone interested, the closing time to submit your team is 18:45 today. I have found that there can be a delay in submission in the last minutes as millions of punters make their final adjustments :)
    The code is
    1812377-434413

9. Huddersfield were in the first division in the 70s (though possibly not for long) and Watford finished first div runners up in the early 80s under Graham Taylor. Conversely, Blackburn were in the doldrums for decades before they got promoted to the Premier League in the early 90s.

10. Huddersfield haven't been in the PL in my lifetime (since 1972) so there is at least one happy little football fan on this forum.

They were the Real Madrid of the football world in the 20's but somehow, I can't imagine why, they couldn't sustain the glamour.

Roundly tipped to go straight back down but..

A genuine (wine loving) good guy chairman, seasons tickets for £199 and less for kids/oaps, a desire to give home grown players a pathway, a young energised manager and more of a team spirit than big egos so you just never know. :0)

David Riach likes this.
  11. The code throws up an error for me I am afraid.....

12. There are two of us, Alex.
    HTAFC lost their all-conquering '20s manager, Herbert Chapman, to the Arsenal, where he went on to achieve similar results. In those days the Arsenal were owned by the Bracewell Smith, a Yorkshireman, who also owned several hotels such as the Ritz and Hotel Russell.

Their '17/'18 fixtures end with Chelsea (a), Everton (h), Man City (a), and Arsenal (h) ... so brace yourself!

13. Sorry about that, James. I did a cut and paste and I don't think there are limits so I don't know what went wrong. You might still be able to join but I think points from week 1 won't be added to your league score.
    Send me your email address and I will send an invite through FPL system. Or wait for nextt year, perhaps?

14. Not a problem Damian, will wait until next year as already giving up hope for my team!

15. Is there a league this year? Getting ready for another 11th place finish.

16. Thanks for the nudge, Jo. The League is up and running, you should be able to opt in. Any new entrants are most welcome, of course.
    The code to join is
    1383587-314083

If anyone has any issues joining please send me a message and I will send an email invite.

17. Thanks Damian. Very grateful of your efforts to keep this running from year to year.

18. Is there any interest in setting up a head to head league? Instead of total points over the season each player competes against one other player in the league each game week. 3 points for a win, 1 each for a draw.
    I played it with colleagues last year and I found it much more engaging as the season wore me down. While I was out of the running in all of the points leagues I could get some satisfaction by beating someone when my triple captain worked.
    Perhaps it works best with a restricted league size, say 10 people in the league = playing each player 4 times and 2 extra games. This allows some petty rivalry to inject itself into the game.

If folk are interested, perhaps they could reply here and if worthwhile I'll set it up.

Has anyone noticed the price of Salah? £13M and he has been selected by 49% of teams!

19. Damian - I'm game. think if you set it up, people will sign up.

20. Sorry, Eugene. I didn't see this in time to get it set up before we started. I've now set one up, scoring will start in week 2. The code for anyone interested is

1383587-1012543

21. no worries and thanks for setting up the head to head in addition to the normal league. Hopefully, more of the others will join in before week 2 starts.

22. My son missed the start of the season proper, busy hiking through the jungles of Colombia, so I hope there will be enough to make it interesting.