Fullers Vintage Ale 1997

Discussion in 'The Beer Forum' started by Heidi Smith, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Hi All
    Hubby and I are having a spring clean and found a bottle of the above today. We no longer have the box so wondered if it is still worth anything? Thank you.

2. Yes, Fullers are selling it on their website for £500. Not sure of the best place to sell it. I'm sure someone will come along with some ideas. Still regretting not buying more of the mixed cases of vintage ale including the 05 for £35 a few years back. Fullers are offering the 05 for £300!! I actually met one of the head brewers recently and asked him about the price jump. He specifically mentioned that people were trading the old bottles for quite a hefty sum, and Fullers wanted to get in on the action.

3. FWIW, here's a brief note on it from the old forum
    UK Drinks Forums: Fullers 2007 Vintage Ale

Whilst I'm very much in the camp that beer & wine are for drinking, not trading, I reckon if you could get > £100 for the bottle I'd sell it.

The £500 I'm sure reflects provenance (of the beer staying in ideal conditons at the same place it was brewed, the logic being it's the genuine article and in good condition). Thus you may need a little realism in not getting anywhere near the £500.

Where to sell? I'm not sure. Normal wine auctions do sometimes have beer lots, but very few and unlikely to be the place to get the best sale price.

regards
    Ian

4. Thank you. I will see if anyone has any suggestions. Heidi

5. Thank you. I'll see if anyone has any suggestions. Heidi

6. DRINK IT! You are drinking history. Drink it, unless you are desperate for the money. I think the 90's ones kept better than later ones so it may still be good. On the other hand it is well beyond the date where the brewery thinks it will start to deteriorate so SELL IT!

I don't really get this market for vintage beers. I can understand it for spirits and some wines. Some strong beers improve with age, but only up to a point. any really old beer is almost certainly undrinkable. All you are left with of any intrinsic value is the bottle. On the other hand Brewdog Sink The Bismark and Tactical Nuclear Penguin are so strong they should keep for a long time so might be a good investment if you can pick them up for a tenner.

7. Wondered if you had found how to sell your 1997 Vintage Ale?
    We also have a bottle of 1997 Vintage Ale, boxed and numbered and has been verified by Fullers. It has been well stored, but we would now like to part with it. Anyone any ideas.

8. Hi David, Id be interested in buying your ale.

9. Hi Paul, could still consider selling, depends on price.

10. I'd be willing to give you £50 cash.

11. Hi David, is that a "No" to my offer?

12. Its not just the Vintage Ales but the other Fullers strong limited edition beers which are rapidly increasing in value. Will people just stop drinking these beers and keep them as investments? Of course if they do that the beers will lose value as they will no longer be rare. Perhaps then, Fullers will produce less of them to push up the value and hold more back for themselves in order to cash in. I find this all a bit depressing.

Further to my remark about Brewdog; I believe they now produce a beer of 55% alcohol. Will they eventually produce a beer that makes you go blind? Perhaps they will call this "Eyeless in Gaza"

13. Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and just noticed this thread. Has anybody found a way or outlet for selling these ales yet?

I have a collection of Vintage Ales from 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2015. They have all been stored upright in dark, cool cellar conditions since they were purchased.

I am looking to sell them together or individually but I really can't find a way of doing this. Any thoughts anybody?

I bought two or three of each so have already sampled the vintages from those years both when purchased and after 12 months storage so I don't feel I'll be missing out if I let them go.

14. I think it is actually illegal to sell beer online without a licence. You may need to check this out.

If you have only tried them when purchased and after 12 months you have certainly not tried them anywhere near their best.

If you are going to sell them I would recommend selling the older ones now but keeping the more recent vintages until they increase in value.

15. Hi Alan,

I think you're right about needing a licence to sell beer online as I advertised them on E Bay without reading the terms and conditions properly and it wasn't long before they were removed and I received a ticking off from them.

What I probably need is some sort of arena or forum where I can discuss selling them and then somebody contacts me outside of that and we make a private transaction, especially as I don't want anywhere near the Fullers advertised prices for them :)

To be honest, I wouldn't be considering selling them if I hadn't pranged the car and as it was my idea to get a stupid 'mid life crisis' sporty car I better find some money towards paying off the credit card used for the repair before I end up sleeping in the shed.

So while I would like to follow your recommendation of selling the older ones, I really don't see how I can.

16. We drank a couple of bottles of the 2012 the other day that I'd stored since picking them up in Aldi (IIRC) on release. Nice strong ale, I had no idea there was a market for these...

17. For anyone interested in the current 2017 vintage Waitrose are stocking it and selling at £6 a bottle. They also have the Fullers Imperial Stout for £8 a go.