Food Game Stew

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Martin Zwick, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Here comes a cozy autumn/winter dish. Serve better the next day or even 2 days later. I would recommend to serve it with roasted chestnuts and bavarian dumplings or pappardelle pasta. Of course also with some redcurrant jelly

Ingredients

1kg game (deer/roe), cubed

100g Guanciale/Lardo/Bacon

250ml red wine

400ml game/beef stock or water

2 sprigs fresh thyme

1 bay leaf

2-4 shallots/onions

stew vegetables (1-2 carrots, 1 parsley root, celery)

spice (5-6 juniper berries, 2 cloves, 3-4 piment berries)

1-2 tbsp flour

salt&pepper

1 clove garlic

Preparation

1. Chopp stew vegetables in big cubes, shallots in little cubes, bacon in stripes, garlic in slices

[​IMG]

2. Dust the meat with flour and a pinch of salt and pepper.

[​IMG]

3. Sauté the bacon in oil for 2-3min until crisp

[​IMG]

4. Remove the bacon and set aside. Then add meat fry in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, adding more butter (or oil) if necessary, until well browned on all sides.

[​IMG]

5. Remove the meat, set aside. Fry the stew vegetables for 2-3min and then add 1tbsp flour and roast it.

[​IMG]

6. Add the wine to the dutch oven/cocotte and scrape the bottom and reduce it.

[​IMG]

7. Add rest of the wine

[​IMG]

8. Return the meat and add herbs, spices

[​IMG]

9. Then add stock or water. Put a lid on it and put in the oven for 2h by 140C/284F

[​IMG]

10. 30min before the end add the bacon cubes. Optional can you sieve it! Remove the meat and sieve the sauce. Bring the sieved sauce back to the pan and re-heat the meat in the sauce. Serve with pasta&dumplings and roasted chestnuts. In addition with red currant jelly.

[​IMG]

11. But better serve the next day or 2 days later. ENJOY

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Very nice too, particularly with a gelatinous cut in largish pieces. I like to clean the sauce with such things; when cooking is finished pour it all through a sieve into a wide pan, discard the now exhausted aromatics and keep the meat and any still desirable garnish aside, bring the liquid to the boil then simmer with the pan half off the heat. A skin will swiftly form on the side not on the heat, which one keeps removing until it no longer reappears. Put the meat back in and one has an even nicer dish, it is hardly any effort. Any necessary reduction can take place before reassembly, though nowadays I take care to keep the amount of liquid quite low at the beginning.

Antti Jokinen likes this.
  3. Thanks for that tip Thom. Must give it a go

4. YES Thom, to sieve it at the end is a good recommendation. I am always too lazy to sieve it. Oops!

Fair to say I used thyme leaves, so I had no sprigs to look for. In addition I used a ready-made grounded game spice from a famous cook&spice dealer in Germany, so no juniper berries or cloves on my teeth. haha

Justin Willott likes this.
  5. Nice recipe and thank you for sharing. i also like to use dried mushrooms in my game stew for texture and taste.

6. YES, to add dried mushrooms is also an option.

Nicos Neocleous likes this.
  7. I did a very quick venison casserole tonight with a few cheats which worked v well - ingredients essentially as above:

1. The base veg (leek, celery, onion, carrot) sauteed down with pinch of bicarb to accelerate colouring.

2. Meat browned with flour as above.

3. Half a bottle of red reduced down.

4. Meat cooked in a basket in the pressure cooker to separate from the aromatics.

5. Stock was braising liquor from beef for vitello tonatto.

6. Added in a sachet of gelatine.

It had all the good points of a long cooked dish with loads of good stock but none of the downside...!

Thom Blach likes this.
  8. I've never eaten manzo tonnato, though the rose veal one gets now is pretty much beef anyway!
    Formidable gastronomic intelligence there. I have recently come to realise that all the pundits are right about the superiority of leaf gelatine, however, the powder tastes distinctly gluey.

9. what is the downside of a long cooked dish or stew???

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  10. Only the cooking time!