Gevrey Chambertin En Pallud 98, Maume

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Thom Blach, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Is a wine of the most headspinning charm with a dish of lentils and porcini. Slightly to my surprise it is what I would call fully mature in its entirely expressive hedgerow fruit and sous bois and with no residue whatever of the reductive toughness which characterised it when young. I remember buying it for £8 a bottle in the great 2002 panic sell off of 1998 burgundies.Those were the days.

2. Wonderful! The kind of note that provokes admiration and envy in (just about) equal measure!!

3. I have really enjoyed every Maume I've had - though that;s not that many. But it always seemed a satisfying sort of wine.

4. Sounds great. I am a fan of Maume generally but this sounds wonderful.

5. sounds like a lovely mature Burgundy. Sadly not cheap anymore, some '96 Maume Gevrey Chambertin 1er Cru at Seckfords but £75 per bottle. Mind you compared to some of the '17 Bordeaux that almost looks a bargain

6. I do hope mine comes round - 95 Mazis - last bottle was as dull and lacking as Mazis could possibly be. Thanks for the note: a cause for hope!

7. They seem to take ages. Mazis 98 last year was aggravatingly obdurate.

I think 2000 Lavaut is drinking though. I must open another and see.

8. How much do you think bloody 2017 burgundy will cost you

Thom Blach likes this.
  9. I have always found Maume to be very engaging - Roy Richards used to really like Maume which is as good a recommendation as they come. Had his Mazis one Christmas Day lunch delightful

10. Unlike all the rest of France, most Côte d'Or producers had a full vintage in 2017; for many, it was the first one since 2009. Prices in euros should be more or less stable.

11. Claude,

When you say stable do you mean at the rather eye watering prices that we saw for the '16s? Slightly worrying as the vast majority of regular bottling seem to have moved to a significantly overpriced positioning. I guess this is just free market supply and demand but that is scary prospect and one that will sadly have me saying a sad farewell to all but a very few exceptions in the region

12. With 2017 my tenth working vendange (3 domaines in that period back to 2006 - two missed) I'm absolutely with Craig in that, whilst 2017 was undoubtedly the first 'fullish' harvest for years (since 2009 ?), I just cannot see any row back on prices to, and including, 2016.

As such Claude, whilst prices might be 'stable' on 2016, I'd be absolutely amazed cum gobsmacked if there was any prospect of any reduction - quite the contrary. Indeed, if I were a betting man (I'm not at all), I might fancy a wager the 2017 Burgundy vintage could even see more price increases driven by all sorts of market forces/demand ? I'll have a better view when I work this year's vendange and can 'challenge' my employer on his pricing intentions (but I can guess already I think !!!).

13. I said stable in euros. Remember, Craig, that you're dealing with a weakened sterling. Some people here don't like hearing my explanation for why it's weakened, so I'll just leave it at that.

It's going to take at least two more full vintages, perhaps more, until prices show any significant weakening in euros, unless there's another international monetary crisis (which I think is quite possible). That's just the reality -- learn to live with it. I can say that there are still spot deals (not as good as they used to be, but still . . .) -- I almost acted on one for Jadot yesterday and then decided that I have enough wine/am too old to go in on it.

Thom Blach likes this.
  14. Yes, the cellars are empty - so big vintage be damned - even if the quality turns out to be variable based on high/low yields (as seems the case), at best we will see, on average, stable pricing in producer terms - ie euros. Many contacts have told me that two 'full' vintages will be required to bring equilibrium back to demand and supply for all but the most sought-after wines. So far (at least) there is a big potential 2018 yield on the vines - but much weather must be negociated before mid-September...

Mark Gough likes this.