Glenturret 10

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Mahmoud Ali, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Although a recent purchase this bottle of the Glenturret 10 (700ml, 40%) must be an older bottling. First off the label looks very different from the one the Glenturret website. Also interesting is the Greek writing on the back label, suggesting that it was originally destined for Greece. I was told that this bottle came from another store that was liquidated or closed.
    Glenturret10.jpg

I don't recall having had a Glenturret so I was keen to try this and see if I needed to buy a few more. Despite it's relative low 40% alcohol I added a small teaspoon of water in my brandy snifter. The nose is quite aromatic, sweet notes of sherry, mandarin rind, and caramel combined with cereal and malt notes, followed by a gentle spirity nose. There is also a hint of mineral oil but that could be my imagination. The palate is gentle and non-confronting, malt and cereal to the fore, followed by a sherried but dry expression and a decent spiritiness despite the standard alcohol level. When I got to the end of the glass it occurred to me that it developed a delicate white wine element.

This is a very decent dram and I would say highly suited as an aperitif whisky. Yes, I went back and bought the remaining two bottles.

Cheers .................... Mahmoud.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. I used to travel a lot in my 20s and spent a lot of time trying different malts. I have an outdated mental list of malts that ranks this in the also-rans. Given my previous assertions are out of tune with my current tastes this looks like one to revisit.

As an aside do you have an issue with your malts not being cask strength? I like to take the nose of cask strength malts. However to drink water is added in precise aliquots until I am happy with the expression. Calculations show this is typically 40-45% so a ready-dilated malt is rarely over watered for me.

3. Kinley, you have touched on a very interesting point of contention, the so-called proper strength of whiskies. I am by no means fixated on the strength of alcohol in a whisky/whiskey. I find that each expression is different. For example the Laphroaig 10 is perfect at 40% and in no way suffers by comparison to the Quarter Cask's 48%. By the same token I recently found that the Bowmore 12 at 40% dsuffered in comparison to the Small Batch's identical 40% in terns of alcohol bite.

The good thing about cask strength is that one gets a so-called naked expression that one can compensate for by adding water. So to answer you question I have no difficulty with the typically 40-45% but am more likely to be satisfied by the often non-chill filtered 46%.

Mahmoud.