Good News for Vegans- This Wine Recommendation

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Peter May, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Which vodkas, gins and whiskies are not vegan? I know tequila sometimes comes with a worm.

2. There are hundreds of vegan wines available in the U.K. There are many articles, including one by myself out there, which attempt to explain what makes a wine non-vegan. Most natural wines are vegan, but many wines which are in no way natural are too.

3. Exactly!

4. I bet Yellow Tail isn't vegan. I bet they use gelatine. On the contrary, nearly all traditionally-made wines are vegan. But sadly most British consumers don't like traditional wines, they like modern takes on wine like YT, Barefoot, Blossom Hill and Echo Falls. So they have to choose between vegan wine or their preferred cheap, sugary grape-based concoction.

5. Isn't gelatine now too expensive, Jonathan?
    The reason the cheap, sugary concoctions are popular is because they are designed for alcohol abusers, taken as 'destressing' alcohol delivery systems rather than at the table. The structure of proper wines more or less prohibits their being glugged down without food. I am rather appalled by the whole business, haven't they heard of gin?

Jonathan Hesford likes this.
  6. According to their website "Some milk and egg products are used in the fining process of the wine, but are removed before bottling."

Isn't this true of (more or less) all wine? I suppose that hardcore vegans would animal-derived findings as unacceptable but the majority just don't care enough.

7. Is n't Burgundy Vegan?

8. No it's not true of all wine. New EU directives state that their use has to be on the label. Claiming that it is all removed before bottling doesn't get around that. Vegan means without the use of any animal products. So YT isn't vegan. Labelling wine

Paul Benny likes this.
  9. Allegedly Musar(red) is vegan so Alexj should be good for a few years.

10. YT makes a distinction between red and white winemaking. Their red wines are vegan, their white are not, as outlined here.

I would argue the correct use of fining agents (including animal products) can help achieve lots of important goals mostly by improving yield of saleable wine per hectare and reducing waste (and associated environmental cost).

11. Tony - that third party source only refers to gelatin as a fining agent. Under allergens in the FAQ on the yellowtail website, it refers to use of milk and eggs as fining agents.

The regulations referenced by Jonathan require allergen disclosure if milk or egg residues are greater than 0.25 milligrams per litre*. That's something like a tenth of the weight of an ant.

(*The guidance on the web page refers to disclosure if milk or are used; the detailed guidance refers to the concentration threshold)

12. So Vegan looks like a religion. A lot of products are banned which means zero and 0.01% content is unacceptable. Am I correct?
    I thought it was a diet kind of things that you avoid eating some products (either to protect the planet ...)

13. I imagine that long-standing vegans and vegetarians are reasonably pragmatic. It is the new converts who are most zealously purist, aided and abetted by those with a commercial or campaigning interest.

14. In the same FAQ, they cover egg, milk and fish. Company emails (shown on Barnivore) indicate no gelatine is used on red, only on Rose and white.

Though I guess they could spell it specifically on the website, but its pretty clear the YT red is vegan (not that I am going to be drinky any, anytime soon).

upload_2018-6-13_8-58-25.png

15. Not just diet. Vegans avoid any animal derived products

From Vegan Society website Definition of veganism

one thing all vegans have in common is a plant-based diet avoiding all animal foods such as meat (including fish, shellfish and insects), dairy, eggs and honey - as well as products like leather and any tested on animals.
    History

Although the vegan diet was defined early on in The Vegan Society's beginnings in 1944, it was as late as 1949 before Leslie J Cross pointed out that the society lacked a definition of veganism. He suggested “[t]he principle of the emancipation of animals from exploitation by man”. This is later clarified as “to seek an end to the use of animals by man for food, commodities, work, hunting, vivisection, and by all other uses involving exploitation of animal life by man”.

16. I see that my electricity is not only vegetarian (apparently it always has been with Ecotricity), but it is now certified vegan too - a world first.

I am not even going to ask, but there is probably something about it on their website if you really want to know.

17. Maybe later...

18. For the more radical end of the vegan spectrum biodynamic wines can't be vegan because of the exploitation of animals; the horns, the stag's bladders and even the use of horses. This said to me last week in the Rhone by a producer who had been checking what the criteria were. They had received enquiries from the US.

19. Yeast is an animal ......

20. Eh? Yeast is a fungus - like mushrooms - and thus neither animal nor vegetable. Same with bacteria.

21. So we are agreed that "vegan" in the practical sense (rather than theoretical) is as hard to define as "natural wine".

I know vegans who get heated over honey, yet who never quiz me too hard over what might be in the wine. I'm sure they exist but I've not met a vegan who won't eat something in case a horse ploughed the field it was grown in, although most are against "harm" to animals through product testing.

However...I'm not really sure it's all that helpful for non-vegans to talk about these issues too much, especially if some are unable to live and let live when it comes to other people's life choices. I don't think veganism is harmful to non-vegans, so I just tend to let others do their own thing. I concentrate more on those who are actively harming others by their life choices.

22. Yes, maybe, at the moment. Asking folk in the biology world "what is yeast?" Is a bit like declaring "white burg is the best white wine" here. It always prompts a bit of a discussion :) I am just being grumpily anti-vegan, since my neice's vegan habit has inflicted upon me several of the worst , most disgusting, meals of my life upon me.

23. My family’s vegan habits don’t unduly bother me. When cooking for my wife I often cook Indian food, North African, various pasta with mushrooms and garlic options and other spicy Spanish-ish style rice dishes. Lots of salads at this time of year and hearty bean stews in winter. We have half a cupboard of herbs and spices and pots of harissa, miso and such like in the fridge.

When I dine out I get to gorge myself on the flesh of dead animals and not eating dairy five days out of seven would I’m sure make me feel healthier were it not for all the wine I drink.

The one thing I have missed has been cheese at home, but now my son and his wife have their own place I shall be reintroducing that very soon. I already brought home a packet of Kitkat Chunky.

Simon Wheeler likes this.
  24. Sorry to hear that. My sister is vegan but sensibly acknowledges that her own restrictions shouldn't be applied to everyone else around her. If we go out to eat together, we'll make an effort to find a restaurant that can accomodate everyone - she'd never insist on us not eating animal products just because she doesn't. It did cause a few problems when she decided to become vegan at age 15, but I'd put that down to her age at the time more than anything else.