Italian Red recommendations

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Lorri Turner, Jun 6, 2018.

1. After some recommendations please. Looking for some nice Italian reds in the £20-30 bracket(or cheaper if possible) for a birthday party next month (Italian food, wine). Must admit I've not drunk much from Italy, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Lorri

2. Start with Fontodi. You can't go too far wrong with this producer.

Lorri Turner likes this.
  3. Gianni Brunelli Rosso di Montalcino 2016. £18 from The Wine Society and worth every penny.

Lorri Turner and Alex Jagger like this.
  4. +1 to NPM's recommendation. I found it actually better the next day......

Lorri Turner likes this.
  5. Loving Barbaras from some of the better Piedmont producers such as Vajra, Rinaldi, etc. A bit like the best beaujolais cru you've ever tasted with a bit more scale and extra layers.

Mahmoud Ali and Lorri Turner like this.
  6. Thanks for the responses!

7. Barbera, definitely, but I often prefer those NOT from the top Langhe producers. In Asti province it often get better sites, in my experience.

Aglianico usually makes highly worthwhile and eminently ageable wine which is often a bit of a bargain, and one which in my book at least beats Sangiovese eight times out of ten.

A red from Etna would also be an interesting and though-provoking option.

8. Might be worth trying a super tuscan for a bit of a variation on the more traditional Italian varieties.

9. I would go for a Langhe Nebbiolo from the 2015 or 2016 vintages. Similar to Bordeaux they are cracking vintages. I went to the Berry’s Italian tasting on Friday and really loved Langhe from Cascina Fortana 2016, which shone next to the dreary 2014 Barolos. Sells for £180ib for a case of 12.

10. Try Nebbiolo red wines from the Roero wine growing region (Piedmont), which lies on the opposite side of the Tanaro River from Barbaresco, just a few kilometres away. Cascina Val Del Prete Vigna di Lino, Giovanni Almondo's Roero and Cascina Ca' Rossa Valmaggiore Audinaggio are very good wines. They are fresh and crisp, with medium body and medium acidity. Floral and fruity in the mouth. A great experience at a more affordable price than the famous neighbours Barolo and Barbaresco!

11. Age is the key for quality Italian wines IMHO. The reds from Etna are wonderful, especially the Nerelli Mascalesi, but they need 10 years of bottle age. Aglianico and Negroamaro likewise.

If you like Sangiovese, but are put off by the silly prices the best of them command, try Vino Nobile di Montepulciano (not the same thing as the Montepulciano grape, which often comes from the Abruzzi, not Tuscany). The grape in Montepulciano is called Prugnolo Gentile, but it is actually identical to Sangiovese, and their best wines are available at a third of the price of equivalent Sangiovese wines from Montalcino, and are every bit as good in the best vintages.

An outstanding vintage in Montepulciano (indeed in all of Tuscany) was 2001, and it so happens that R & B Wines (no connection, etc) have five bottles left of the Poliziano Asinone (the top vineyard from the best grower in the village) at £38 Vat included. A terrific bargain in my opinion, and I still have a decent quantity of this wine in my cellar, in both bottle and magnum format. Highly recommended, and in your shoes I would not hesitate!

12. Poliziano rocks!

Mark Crann and David Bennett like this.
  13. I've not had Poliziano (nor Avignonesi for that matter) but a 2008 Boscarelli I had last year had everything one might want in a sangiovese-based wine, restrained, almost austere fruit, and plenty of depth and structure. Very nice and still in need of time.