Jamet Cote Rotie 2010

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alex Lake, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Just wondering how this might be showing now? I have some halves which might be worth a look?

2. I wouldn't even open one to see. It's Jamet from a super vintage. The 1999 I had a year ago from half bottle wasn't fully ready. You're lucky to have said halves!!

3. We always seem to get into exactly the same debate about opening dates for a wine like this, but for top N Rhones from top vintages like 2010, you're looking at 12 years plus for any kind of attractive secondary development. Young Jamet is an impressive thing, but it is also always turned in on itself. The 2010 will no doubt be a great wine when you do get to drink it.

4. I wouldn’t go near it. Even the 95 is a little way from being ready. Vintages to drink now would be 96, 97, possibly 98, 00, 01, 04 I reckon - and anything older. Suspect that the 07 is fun but I’m still drinking the 07 CdR and haven’t thought about opening the Rotie. 2008 probably accessible too.

Will Devize and GuyD'nis like this.
  5. 96 just getting into its stride.

6. ‘98 is drinking great now, just about ready.

7. 95, 96 and 97 drinking well out of bottle, but 97 out of magnum was very good but still young. 00 also good to go. 01,05, 06 and 07 very young and pretty closed.

I think patience will be rewarded. The 10 is a stunning vintage and I think you’d just be a little dissatisfied opening one now compared to in 3-4 years time.

8. I recall trying the 2001 at Medlar about 5 years ago and although it was very young, the potential was obvious and exciting, and so one ended up enjoying it a lot more than the actual taste suggested. Was that one of yours, Jon?

9. I would agree with that. I remember drinking the 99 about 10 years or so ago and it is still one of my top wines ever. If you have a number of bottles I would suggest trying one now to enjoy the (hopefully) youthful ish fruit. Alternatively, as others have said, leave it in your will to the kids.

Alex Lake likes this.
  10. If I had bottles of 2010 and really wanted to drink one, I'd just swap a bottle with someone on here for an older but (slightly) lesser vintage. And that way enjoy some mature Jamet instead of opening a 2010 too early and wondering what it might one day be like. But each to their own!

11. Richard - you're right. It's only about a £50 half bottle. If shared with the appropriate friends, then it's money down the right sort of drain! I think I have a case of half bottles and one of full bottles - not sure how many bottles a case is, though....

12. This is what modest St Jo & Crozes are for to satisfy the Syrah thirst whilst the top end stuff slumbers on!!

13. I'm sure to be in the minority but I love young top end N Rhone. I took a 2010 Rene Rostaing La Landonne to a dinner a few weeks ago and it was called WOTN by quite a few attendees. There were plenty of mature examples from Chave etc that night that were excellent, but the Rostaing really shone. In a top vintage I personally enjoy capturing the brilliance of the vintage in all of its youthful glory as long as I have a few to enjoy for later down the track.

Alex Lake likes this.
  14. I thought that's what older vintages were for! ;-)

15. Conversely, if you have a case of 6 or 12, then I cannot see what is wrong with trying a bottle now after a good decant. The stars may well align. The wine may not have developed secondary nuances, but I am sure it would be highly pleasurable indeed and at least you would have a reference point. Far too many wine enthusiasts recommend not touching wines for decades but how do you know that you will like it then and can you guarantee you will be in a position to enjoy it?

Edit - just noticed you said you have some halves - I totally think you should just get on with popping one open!

16. I think that Rostaing is a slightly different beast to Jamet though when it comes to the ageing curve.

GuyD'nis and Robbie Ward like this.
  17. Nope - but it was bloody good. So good that I bought some more on the back of that dinner.

Alex Lake likes this.
  18. I’d be very interested in what you mean by that Jonathan. I’ve only had one Rostaing wine that I thought came close to the quality of various Jamets I’ve drunk - a 1998 Cote Blonde about 6 months ago - and even the young Jamet wines have been delicious to the same extent as the Rostaing wines have been tough. The oldest Rostaing I’ve drunk is 1995 and that was just accessible, though unexceptional . I guess that is reflected in the prices of each producer’s wine these days - though until five years ago they were about the same I think.

Alex Lake likes this.
  19. Well done! I wanted to do the same, but couldn't find any!

20. The 2011 was an absolutely stunning wine when young - drank it twice a couple of years ago at La Cabotte in Nuits at a bargain price. 2011 a very different vintage to 2010, of course. I've also enjoyed a couple of bottles of 2006, but can't think that they wouldn't improve. The 1999 Cote Brune we drank in 2016 (?) was only just hitting its stride - and had a very long way to go.

21. Very simply Jonathan that I think that when comparing the classic, blended cuvees of each producer the Rostaing tends to age faster than Jamet. I have also had vintages of Blonde and Landonne that have been drinking very well while still quite young (well under ten yrs old) - and so Robbie's assertion about the Landonne 2010 did not surprise me in the way that someone reporting an open-for-business Jamet 2010 would. And Jamet's Brune strikes me as even more backward, although my reference points are few.

On a qualitative level I completely agree with you. To my taste there is no finer Cote Rotie, year-in, year-out, than Jamet. For me, it is the Cote Rotie equivalent of Chave, in more ways than one. The recent leap in prices has sadly curtailed my Jamet buying habit !

22. Seems a bit pointless to compare Jamet's Cote-Rotie with Rostaing's basic bottling.

Not dissimilar to comparing Krug's NV with Pierre Peters NV maybe?

23. I'm not sure how else one compares them Mark ? The two wines are classic blends from a large range of sites, made in roughly similar quantities.

24. I am not sure why it is necessary to belittle Rostaing's Cote Rotie. Us lesser mortals don't have access to Jamet.

25. Is that relevant, though? If Jamet is better, why keep quiet about it? I can't buy Jamet now*, but doesn't stop me dreaming.

*Actually, that's a lie, I did just buy a couple of halves of 01....

Jonathan Budd likes this.