Keeping Sherry

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Gareth J Welch, Dec 7, 2018.

1. As per previous threads I’ve amassed a small stash of sherry (and port) for drinking over the festive period.

One of the joys of wine appreciation I find is the ability to compare and contrast wines over a period of time.

I’m likely to have quite a few bottles open at the same time, and am not going to be able to store them in the fridge, so they are going to have to go back to my passive “cellar”, which is at about 11-15C floor to head height at the moment.

The bottles are mostly Palo Cortado and Oloroso, the odd Amontillado (not Fino or Manzanilla) plus Tawny and Single Quinta Port.

I suspect I will be ok to have most of them open for a few weeks or even a month or two without too much serious degradation, but thought I’d get opinions of the forum. I suspect the single Quinta Ports will be the most fragile, so may desist opening them.

It’s really the comparison between the better sherries and maybe Lustau 2000 vs 10/20 yo Tawnies that piques my interest.

Many thanks in advance.

2. I have very little experience with unfinished bottles of wine since the two in our household usually make short shrift of almost any open bottle. With sherry or port it is a matter of days not weeks. My feeling is that a week in cool conditions wouldn't be too bad but anything longer would compromise freshness.

Now Madeira is a whole different story.

Mahmoud.

3. In a fridge you can get away with up to two weeks for amontillado and oloroso sherries I find, but thereafter the detail in the wine decreases quite quickly. I've never kept them outside a fridge as I only ever have one or two open at any one time, so I have no idea how much difference that makes. I find that port needs to be drunk on the day to be honest - especially when it's well aged. As Mahmoud says, the fortified wine that is indestructible once opened is Madeira, at all levels of quality and age.

Nicos Neocleous likes this.
  4. Cheers guys might have to rethink.

Know about Madeira - still have some empty dOliveiras bottles from a few years back, they yielded the odd sip for months if not years and still smell wonderful.;)