Krug 2008

A simple suggested scenario;

Wine is released at as high a price as Krug want for it given the special status of the vintage. It doesn’t hold its price in the market because it’s not really showing well at that point in its evolution and the general zeitgeist seems to be going against it, poor reviews, antipathy about the price, confusion about its release etc

They temporarily pull it aiming to release a bit further down the line when it is a) showing a bit better and b) market conditions seem a bit more favourable.

A simple suggested scenario;

Wine is released at as high a price as Krug want for it given the special status of the vintage. It doesn’t hold its price in the market because it’s not really showing well at that point in its evolution and the general zeitgeist seems to be going against it, poor reviews, antipathy about the price, confusion about its release etc

They temporarily pull it aiming to release a bit further down the line when it is a) showing a bit better and b) market conditions seem a bit more favourable.

No.

The words "Krug 2008 is shit" could appear in holy smoke over Mount Sinai and people would still lap it up. People who worship Krug probably adore Coldplay too. :p

Cristal 2008 mags starting to appear. Priced in line with the market for 2008 bottles with magnum premium added. Which means they are not cheap. :( Looks like 6 Cristal 2008 mags will be about the same as 12 bottles of 2008 Krug.

There is an article on the Drinks Business about this wine.

UK RRP is listed as £265. Most interesting thing is the unusually high proportion of Pinot Meunier in the blend - 25%.

Everyone will be happy to know that Krug describe the 2008 as a "classic beauty", whereas the 2006 was "capricious indulgence". Phew! :)

UK RRP is listed as £265. Most interesting thing is the unusually high proportion of Pinot Meunier in the blend - 25%.

Everyone will be happy to know that Krug describe the 2008 as a "classic beauty", whereas the 2006 was "capricious indulgence". Phew! :)
The description "Regular BS" seems to fit.
Though in some photos I saw from the UK launch it seems they did, surprisingly serve GC 164 at the same event, which I doubted they would.

Claims it was the most PM used in any Krug Vintage. Tom Stevenson pointed out on Twitter that the ‘53 had more….. :)

capricious - "changing according to no discernible rules; unpredictable."

If so I guess when one might describe CdM 2004 as “very variable” one should more correctly say a “capricious indulgence”.

A very useful term that sounds so positive, and yet... Can't think of any wines I like that exhibit such properties.
Decent out of the blocks. Creamy and chocolatey with black berry/cherry fruit. “Not very typical Musar…. I really like it” Lauren says. I agree, although the latter is independent of the former (for me, at least).

I’ve had a few 2002s over the years (and perhaps this is the 3rd this year), not one the same.

Clos19 (LVMH's own retail website) was listing Krug 2008 at £250 all in, but it seems to have evaporated at that price. Was anyone lucky (???) enough to buy some from there?

Thanks to Ray for letting me know that Clos19 relisted it at the same price at the w/e … one bottle per customer … and it duly sold out again. Arrived at lunchtime, just opened.

2EA90B45-0390-464A-A16D-90F2E380B83E.jpeg

The wine? I guess I have an amateur’s prerogative to be somewhat confused.

The nose was totally mute on opening, even in the Jancis glass which Peter Liem recommends for assessing Champagne. With a bit more time there is an underlying Krug-ness somewhere but it is a bit mute.
The palate is very acidic. The acidity at the moment almost covers the length. Or is it just short? It is really hard for me to say much. It might be a great, acidic wine at a very, very awkward stage. (Strangely Krug 1996 may have been at its very best at a similar stage - I remember a magnum never surpassed.) But even if it is potentially great wine I wonder if it will ever get there given the troubling inconsistency that seems to be affecting some recent Krug bottlings. And it may really not even have that potential. Was this really planned to be like this? I wonder what components were left over after GC 164 was blended.

Given the inevitable limited initial release and speculation it is probably safe to buy this as a short term investment if you can buy anywhere near the RRP. But if you want a great drink I wouldn’t completely rule this out, but your money would be probably be more safely spent on Cristal or CdC from the same vintage.

Last edited: