Travel Lake Garda

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Tom King, May 17, 2018.

1. Planning a possible trip to Lake Garda in April next year;
    Any particular recommendations of places to stay? (Never been before).

Was considering palacehotelvillacortine.com in Sirmione - as it will be late April I'm thinking the crowds won't be too bad?

2. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Tom,

I was there last month and stayed in the Grand Hotel Fasano. Hotel was absolutely beautiful, especially if an elevated Lake-front room of course, but a lovely terrace for casual meals and drinks and for breakfast. I ate in their posh restaurant too and it was good rather than great, but that experience probably wasn't helped by the fact that in April it was indeed pretty quiet (though far from empty) and there were only two couples dining. Three minute's walk along the road is the 1* Lido 84 restaurant which we ate in and which was superb, so I will happily go back to the same hotel again, and indeed am planning to! A 10 minute walk up the hill is the Vittoriale degli Italiani complex of gardens and museums, with decent if touristy restaurants in the village facing it.

Tom King likes this.
  3. Thanks Peter, I had missed that thread

4. We went in June and it wasn’t crowded, though nor was it very hot (but it snowed up on the Brenner that week!!, a good many years ago).

Sirmione is nice, though guessing it gets chokka in July/August it should be fine in April, so long as not Easter perhaps.

Some lovely day trip opportunities such as Soave and the edge of the Dolomites (maybe the Abbey of Neustift/Novacella which I mentioned elsewhere, and which makes some really nice wines including a famous Kerner and M-Thurgau), or Verona. In April I’d even suggest Venice. Not too far on the Autostrade, park in the big car park and boat in, back in the evening.

Tom King likes this.
  5. it must be good Tom because it appears to be full for most of the days in September that we are thinking of going. Did you book through an agent,direct with the hotel or Booking.com etc

6. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

I booked direct Keith. I did see it on booking.com but prices were the same and booking.com had a more restricted range of room types than the hotel's own booking engine, so I guess if the hotel is showing full it probably is really full.

7. Note that Ca dei Frati is on the outskirts of Sirmione, to the South. It is walkable from the old centre, but a bit of a shlep.