Lets talk Montlouis!

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by bob parsons, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Pal came back from the UK last year with a bottle of 2015 Domaine de la Taille aux Louips Les Dix Arpents.
    Thanks for the heads up David C. Eager to open this weekend, any thoughts on this Chenin Blanc appellation?

2. Once the underdog to Vouvray, there is no doubt in my mind that it now, at the very least, matches its jealous neighbour.

However, producer is key. I admit I am not one of those who can tell the difference between the two.

Mind you, as one whose head is easily turned by the latest fashions, I seem to be placing my interest in South Africa for Chenin these days.

I do have some Taille though, maybe should pop one soon.

3. A source of wines of real interest & intrigue.
    The AOP has seriously put Vouvray’s nose out of joint. This is to such an extent that the two top producers François Chidaine & Jacky Blot* (TaL) can no longer label their Vouvrays as such, because they are made across the river.
    Dix Argents is his entry level dry white & provides real VFM. If seen, try his Triple Zéro -a fizz of character with the bonus of not being too fizzy & a very reasonable price.
    The other top producer is Xavier Weisskopf, Le Rocher des Violettes. His dry whites are as good as the above & his reds (esp Côt) have merit.
    Not keen sweet Chenin, but we recently finished a meal out with a bargain TaL Vouvray ‘05 (?).
    Effectively, any wine from the above trio can be purchased with impunity.

* Dom de la Butte is the label for his Bourgueil.

4. Mark beat me to it with Jacky Blot and Francois Chidaine - both exceptional and reliable producers of a dry to sweet range of Montlouis Chenin Blanc with the former's Bourgueil CF reds, particularly Mi-Pente, rather good too.
    Chidaine provides the added advantage of selling his wines alongside a variety of other top Loires from e.g. Vouvray, Sancerre, Pouilly, Chinon, Muscadet plus some Rhone and other French regions through his shop, La Cave Insolite, on the river in Montlouis.
    Blot's Domaine de la Taille aux Loups is just outside Montlouis at Husseau where both his white Montlouis wines and red Bourgueils can be bought.
    Both have websites that provide much more information on the individual cuvees and both do tastings.

Oh and I should have mentioned both do a fizz although my only regular purchase is Jacky Blot's rather special 'Triple Zero'.

5. Bob, when you come back to London, I'd happily open a Montlouis from 1997 as one of the bottles we would drink together.

6. I bought the Domaine de la Taille aux Loups moelleux 2005 from J&B EP and finally opened a bottle a couple of weeks ago. It's wonderful. Every it as good as any Vouvray I have ever tasted, probably better in fact.