TN Meo Camuzet Clos de Vougeot 2001 - tragic, in its way.

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Andy Leslie, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Meo Camuzet Clos de Vougeot 2001
    By some distance the most complete and fabulously appealing Burgundy I've opened in a very long time. One of those wines which would act as an instant-addiction agent in the people who say they don't get Burgundy. Opened at 4pm on the basis that it would need some air to open-up, in fact it came out of the bottle like a steam-train from a tunnel with its whistle blowing, announcing its arrival with an instant hit of glorious perfume. I quickly stuffed the cork back in and hoped all would still be intact a few hours later. It was.

Over dinner it was a wine of constant interest. In the conversation about it we kept shifting from zooming-in to the delicate details, fine textures and shifting complexity and then zooming-out to the overall impressions of sheer power and presence. Then zooming back in again as new details revealed themselves.

It's a couple of years since I opened any 2001 Burgundy and I really hadn't expected this to be in such a perfect spot. It's poised between youth & age in a place where evolved savoury smells and flavours are well established and there's still the vigour of the youthful fruit.

Why tragic? I feel rueful that this is vrai Burgundy, the real deal, but that the cost of entry is now so unreachable for most of us. Good producers in lesser villages may be making better wine than ever before but I'm utterly unconvinced that the end results will ever be in this class. It doesn't matter much for me, I've a cellar stocked 5-15 years ago, but buying/drinking good Burgundy over the next 20 years looks like an unachievable goal to those on modest incomes. Unless drinkers can try this stuff it's impossible to put everything else in context.

2. Spot on I'm afraid, Andy, and at this age almost the only lottery involved in getting a decent bottle of burgundy from a good producer is the state of the cork, unfortunately by no means 100% reliable. Clos Vougeot in 01 at the best addresses does seem remarkably successful given the weather conditions, I can think of terrific versions from Lamarche, Engel, Grivot, Faiveley, Laurent and Mugneret-Gibourg. Until recently the wines were relatively unwanted and thus not expensive but that is no longer the case.

3. We had a 1998 Méo-Camuzet in an in-depth tasting of Clos de Vougeot in April. Unfortunately, it showed rather poory.

As for the price of Burgundy, you are not the only one to lament the price increases.

At least it takes some of the heat off the Bordelais, often accused of being greedy bastards!

All the best,
    Alex R.

Mark Carrington likes this.
  4. Hi Alex, sorry to disagree, but the difference is that for the majority of big name burgundy producers, the prices ex-cellar are not crazy, it is the fact that they are allocated - and then flipped, and the secondary market prices are truly nucking futs. Whereas top Bordeaux is hugely expensive ex-cellar even if they made 20,000 cases.

Julian Seers-Martin likes this.
  5. Just opened a bottle of ‘96 Rene Engel Clos Vougeot for lunch today, drinking well but secondary markets prices are nut for this (£700/b on Wine Searcher). I wouldn’t pay anywhere close the market price if not for the fact I bought them years ago during EP for a petty sum of £340/C.

Graham Harvey likes this.
  6. I'd echo Grivot CV '01 being a really super wine too - good to know it was a success all around.

7. Graham,

The end result for the consumer is the same (you imply), just different greedy bastards...

Several complaints here about the secondary market.
    I'd be interested to know: who are these people/companies?
    How in the world do they have access to the wines in the first place???

Do the people who buy wine from the best estates immediately put them on the market?
    You'd think that this would be a minor phenomenon, but apparently not.

I'm really puzzled here. Say what you like about Bordeaux, but the market is a lot more transparent and self-regulating.

All the best,
    Alex R.

8. That's certainly one way to describe it!

Thom Blach likes this.
  9. I had this wine on a couple of occasions in the last 2 years and while it was okay, I thought it lacked GC quality and certainly not the going rate (I think I picked them up for about £100 per, which looks cheap now!)
    Looks like my transition to more SA pinot will be the more financial acceptable solution to my Burg habit

10. Hi Alex

I think that some people are allocated burgundies such as Roumier Rousseau Dujac DRC etc the list goes on.

They do not buy at open market price, they buy at ex-cellar plus fairly modest UK distributor mark up. The UK merchant then sells it to their longstanding and best customers who are repeat buyers and fortunate enough to be allocated.

The consumer who is lucky enough to be "in" on the offer then has a wine that is effectively bought at a significant discount to market price. If the merchant finds out that the customer is flipping the customer may lose their allocation but still some will and do.

Therefore the original burgundy producer is not the greedy one here responsible for the high prices. Not sure we can say the same for the top Bordeaux chateau, hence not agreeing with you.

11. Graham,

OK, the greed with regard to fine Burgundy is more with the trade than with the producers as comapred with Bordeaux. My point is that the end result is the same for the consumer...
    I approve of producers who keep track of who buys what and cut off those who speculate. DRC of course springs to mind.

Still, from what you say, there must be A) A considerable number of firms/ people who buy wines upon release for investment purposes, either dissimulated or not, B) Such small available quantites that demand skyrockets, with prices out of all proportion to those upon release.
    Or both A + B :).

Ben,

The en primeur system and the "place de Bordeaux" function really well. Please elaborate as to why you think they do not?
    The price rises are on the open market. All the négociants can follow this from day to day.

All the best,
    Alex

12. Both. There is massive stockpiling, for bragging rights, investment and even the occasional drink.

charles morgan, Chiu Lin and Paul Day like this.
  13. Yes, the reports of 4-5+ bottles/person being opened at one sitting.

14. The trend at certain grand dinners seems to be to serve wines even if they are corked or badly oxidised and then congratulate everyone on the line up even if the majority of bottles are poor. And of course instagrams are also required for the picture of the complete line up (even the disasters) with individual photos of the grandest bottles sometimes accompanied with words like “Great producer”: whereas “This bottle was crap/faulty/questionable/fake” is perhaps more appropriate.

15. Not to mention bottles that are almost certainly fake!

16. Well said Paul - so, so true. Most of those social media trophy posts use the same terminology such as 'not too shabby', 'wow', 'awesome', 'great kit' etc. The one thing they never do, is to tell what the wine tasted like :confused:.

17. I opened my last bottle of the 01 VR last week. It needed a fair amount of time to open up but was very impressive.

18. Cue Victoria Moore: ‘swooping paving stones’.