Midweek before December kicks in!

IMG_7687.jpg

That's a lovely wine Robbie. Drinks so well at that age.

I popped this tonight. So classy and weightless. Classic Bachelet. Very transparent. Lovely nose of crushed fresh & frozen raspberries, talcum podwer, rich rocky minerality and a slight headiness. Very, very pure with good weight on the palate and super refreshing. Really loving Bachelet's wines. Need to try and find one with age to see what happens. Though they are difficult to resist at this age when they taste like this.

View attachment 35028

I popped this tonight. So classy and weightless. Classic Bachelet. Very transparent. Lovely nose of crushed fresh & frozen raspberries, talcum podwer, rich rocky minerality and a slight headiness. Very, very pure with good weight on the palate and super refreshing. Really loving Bachelet's wines. Need to try and find one with age to see what happens. Though they are difficult to resist at this age when they taste like this.
I think that they are at their very best in their youthful glory though the Charmes can age superbly.

I heard there was a problem with Bachelet’s cooperage for at least the 2009 to 2011 vintages. Would be interested to know how your 2009s are Kevin.

CASUAL THEME - (27/11/2023)

A casual wine theme which I always find educational and a good opportunity to make some new friends.
  • 2018 Castello Bonomi Franciacorta Rosé Millesimato - Italy, Lombardia, Franciacorta DOCG
    Salmon pink in colour. Fresh strawberry fruit. On the sweeter side, not much depth but highly quaffable. (89 pts.)
  • 2022 E. Guigal Condrieu La Doriane - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Condrieu
    Floral, aromatic nose with low acid - had to be a Rhone blend but so tropical that I was wondering if it could be a new-world. Strange mix of tropical fruit, banana, mango, pineapple and a slightly distracting mint note. This was much fresher than the 2012 last week but still wasn’t a fan unfortunately. (87 pts.)
  • 2009 Sylvain Loichet Puligny-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet
    Guessed ‘09 St Aubin. Dark yellow and a little cloudy in appearance. Was wondering if this could be Chenin but the Chardonnay nose emerged as the wine warmed up. Classic, old-school white burgundy from a warmer vintage; buttery texture with slightly honeyed, tropical fruit. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Les Forêts - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    Guessed Chenin but said I wouldn't be surprised if it was a warmer year Burgundy. Much better than the Montmains alongside. Ripe but with sufficient acidity and tension. Nevertheless far from a textbook Chablis. (90 pts.)
  • 2017 Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Montmains - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru
    A little flabby and lacked structure next to the Forets. Creamy, tropical fruit that didn't point me to Chablis. Not the best showings for these two M-Ns. (88 pts.)
  • 2011 Albert Morot Beaune 1er Cru Bressandes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    Intense, floral aromatics on each fresh pour. Had slightly coarse tannins and cool fruit so guessed 2013 Volnay. ‘11 shrillness took over with air unfortunately. (90 pts.)
  • 2018 La Spinetta (Rivetti) Barolo Vürsù Vigneto Campè - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Thought this was advanced (guessed 06/08 modern Barolo) but judging from previous notes, seemed like it showed correctly. Even though this didn’t show overt oak use on the nose, thought it was still awfully modern with prominent oak tannins and extraction on the palate. Distracting herbal, liquorice notes, plummy finish. A wine that’s too sturdily built for its own good (80 pts.)
  • 2015 Demarie Barolo Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Another modern maker with more obvious vanilla notes and intrusive alcohol that clocked in at 15.5%. Guessed modern 2015 Sangiovese but understood why some guessed Californian. Less tannic and fresher than La Spinetta alongside with cranberry fruit, but still not my preferred style of Barolo. (87 pts.)
  • 2013 Domaine Ostertag Pinot Noir Fronholz - France, Alsace
    Obviously Alsace from the bottle shape, guessed 2018 from the freshness and overt red fruit. Gently extracted with some appealing VA on the nose, soft but tea-like tannins. (91 pts.)
  • 2013 Coudert Fleurie Clos de la Roilette Cuvée Tardive - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Fleurie
    My contribution, quite natty on opening with nail polish and VA so served this later. Guesses were all over the place from Bordeaux to Syrah but someone managed to nail this as a Bojo. Some earthiness, tart raspberry fruit that took time to come into balance. Last glass was the best as the wine gained structure with air. (90 pts.)
  • 1992 Jarvis (California) Winery Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Guessed modern 2009 right-bank Bordeaux, was pleasantly surprised on reveal. Ripe blackcurrant fruit without any greenness. Deep dark fruit undertones, some cassis and mocha notes but not overdone. A wonderfully fresh expression of a Cab, as is the norm with Napas from this era. (92 pts.)
  • 2018 Gallo Family Vineyards / Gallo of Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon Signature Series - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Not blind, didn’t take more than a sip. Sweet, confected cassis fruit. Dense and monolithic with an inky texture. One of the worst wines I’ve tasted this year. (60 pts.)

Great Melvin. It’s refreshing to see a 60pt score :) Incidentally, have you ever tasted a South African wine at one of your epic vinous occasions ? Just wonder what availability there is now in Singapore as there was next to zero when I lived there about 20 years ago .

View attachment 35028

They continue to improve.

Great Melvin. It’s refreshing to see a 60pt score :) Incidentally, have you ever tasted a South African wine at one of your epic vinous occasions ? Just wonder what availability there is now in Singapore as there was next to zero when I lived there about 20 years ago .

Cheers Keith! Try to score against my palate since it’s for my own reference anyway!

I don’t think many in my circle know much about South African including myself, but I’ve opened and stashed away some David & Nadia, Sadie Family, Catherine Marshall and Alheit Vineyards and enjoyed all of them. Not forgetting some Lukas van Loggenrenberg roses thanks to this parish!

Just delivered from storage a stunning 2013 Langhe Rosso from Roagna. I love this wine in all vintages I’ve tried, but this is the first time with a decent amount of age on it. Wow. So beautifully put together. No signs of decline, just absolutely ready and will continue to be for a good few years yet. Yum!
View attachment 35026
Purchased as part of a mini consortium with a Forumite.
TN 2/4. No hurry for remainder.
I need to hunt out some younger bottles. Regretfully, the prices have risen markedly for their grander wines.
  • 2013 Roagna Langhe Rosso - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Langhe DOC (19/10/2023)
    Properly pale; rose hip & briar, beguiling; tannins provide structure to complex palate, attractive ruggedness, mid-weight; splendid finish. Drink now & next five years. Needs food. (92 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

Another bottle from the TWS mystery cases a few months ago which generally has been a worthwhile experiment, Chante Alouette 1997. On opening was pretty unexciting, needed half an hour to get going. A bit blowsy for my palate, not much acid around, lots of ripe melon, honey and floral things. A half bottle was plenty to be going on with, but will sink the rest this evening, maybe with cheesey comestibles. Probably wouldn't buy but happy to drink. t20231128_182720.jpg

Hope to generate some discussion on the latest member of the Colin family to strike it out on his own. Having tried both Joseph and now Simon, all I can say is what a truly talented family!

2017 Simon Colin Chassagne-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet (29/11/2023)
Only 550 bottles apparently. Reminded me of PVG - these young makers have a way to combine the best of new and old-school. Ripe citrus fruit, well-judged oak use of yesteryear; combined with the linear precision of new-school producers in vogue today (without any reductiveness). Incredibly well-balanced, one to watch out but just a shame they're as rare as hen's teeth. (93 pts.)

Hope to generate some discussion on the latest member of the Colin family to strike it out on his own. Having tried both Joseph and now Simon, all I can say is what a truly talented family!

2017 Simon Colin Chassagne-Montrachet - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Chassagne-Montrachet (29/11/2023)
Only 550 bottles apparently. Reminded me of PVG - these young makers have a way to combine the best of new and old-school. Ripe citrus fruit, well-judged oak use of yesteryear; combined with the linear precision of new-school producers in vogue today (without any reductiveness). Incredibly well-balanced, one to watch out but just a shame they're as rare as hen's teeth. (93 pts.)

I have met him informally & he is a sell-assured winemaker. This is reflected in his prices, though they are well merited. Currently quality is a little uneven but only in terms of good or better. Quite tricky to track down
I’m more familiar with Joseph C’s wine & tried to follow them diligently. Prices are steady. Been on my must visit list since pre-Covid.
But this year I splurged on Marc Colin’s ‘20s.

• 2015 Máté - Podere il Falconaio Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (11/29/2023)
    First of a case and first Maté since reading Ferenc Maté’s book “A Vineyard in Tuscany” having enjoyed previous vintages.

Good nose with tomato fruit and leaf, leather, a little spearmint.
    Good intensity on the palate with tangy red cherry, a touch of oak spice and balsamic. Really long finish, notably so and tannins that are present and noticeable but well behaved. Delicious.

This estate has been garnering better and better reviews each vintage and is still good value. (93 pts.)
    1e447977-f092-4f79-9c44-4199c58ee76d.jpg
Posted from CellarTracker

IMG_3062.jpeg

2001 L’Apparita.
Very young to the eye, almost a hint of strawberries and cream on the nose, initially sweet plums and cherries, giving way to something more herbaceous. The oak and tannins are well integrated and it has a super texture, somewhat silky and creamy at the same time. It is light on its feet for 14% alcohol.
In its youth this was a bit of a soupy mess, but has come together very well.

A tale of 2 wine bars last night.

56 Smithfield West - really really interesting. Very very good value.
A glass of Crémant d'Alsace Blanc Pinot Gris Extra Sec: Rich and tangy, quite dense. First sip was a re-alignment of expectations; the rest of the glass was then very enjoyable.

Then Uncle's - Chardonnay 2020 from the Nahe. Rich with excellent tension. £44.

Then onto Clairette near Baker Street. Hmmm.... Lots of Margaux on the list and some rather enthusiastic pricing.
Ended up with a Vietti Langhe 2014 which was clean and precise. But certainly stupidly overpriced.
Zero value on the wine list really.
Food was overpriced.
Wont be back.

To the Royal Crescent in Bath to try their refurbished restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was rather lacking although the Sommelier was great and very informative.

We took an Angelo Negro Sette Anni to start which is a weighty Arneis from 2009 - a lovely, oily wine with a nice tang. Followed by a Sandrone Le Vigne Barolo 2008 which unfurled slowly and was terrific after 30 minutes in the glass, dominated by sour cherry and a lovely luxuriant texture. To finish we had a Roberto Voerzio La Serra from 1988. I was nervous with regards to the condition as it was a single bottle purchase at auction and the nose was initially rather mute but the wine had a gorgeous sweetness to it, perfect balance, gentle fruits on the palate and was a joy to drink. Not a typical Barolo by any stretch but a really lovely wine that didn't fade at all in the glass.