NWR new zero tolerance covid thread

Viruses vary so why wouldn't post-viral syndromes vary?

A doctor acquaintance has had long Covid since April 2020 and is still unable to work. She is used to treating post-viral symptoms but this has flummoxed her despite access to the latest knowledge.

I think that the simple fact that there's so much talk about long Covid suggests that its post-viral effects are certainly unusual, if not 'unique' (but what a terrible word unique is - at what point does something cross the line from being 'very different' to being 'unique'? Humans are all the same and yet we're all unique). I've had plenty of viral infections over the years but I've never eperienced anything like what I went through with long Covid - not even close - and I've certainly never heard of anyone having similar symptoms after having the flu.

I'd be interested to hear what your experience of 'long flu' involved Steven.

I think that the simple fact that there's so much talk about long Covid suggests that its post-viral effects are certainly unusual, if not 'unique' (but what a terrible word unique is - at what point does something cross the line from being 'very different' to being 'unique'? Humans are all the same and yet we're all unique). I've had plenty of viral infections over the years but I've never eperienced anything like what I went through with long Covid - not even close - and I've certainly never heard of anyone having similar symptoms after having the flu.

Apart from the effect on breathing, extreme lethargy, occasional nausea and aching joints. Lasted almost six months, and yet I’ve not really had an asthma episode since (my asthma had gone away since).

As a survivor of sepsis, post sepsis syndrome is very real and not dissimilar to what is being described as long Covid. ME, post viral syndromes, fibromyalgia all share some commonality n their symptoms.

Didn't stop with the Cambridge Mask Company face coverings. Especially with 70% off. Haven't had it yet and don't want it. I am most worried about the long covid aspect due to the risk of brain and other organ damage. I don't think I have ever had flu,but I do have dear friends recovering from ME from years ago.

Apart from the effect on breathing, extreme lethargy, occasional nausea and aching joints. Lasted almost six months, and yet I’ve not really had an asthma episode since (my asthma had gone away since).
That doesn't sound like much fun at all. Thinking more on this I wonder whether the main difference between long Covid and other post-viral syndromes is simply how common it is.

PVSs have a large variaties of presentation, so hard to tell what surely belongs to long Covid at the moment, though of course there would be statistic differences on symptoms. The problem is that there are so many viruses and many PVS sufferers don't even know which virus caused it. (A "flu" is not necessarily a flu without testing, and a "cold" can be anything really.) In that sense, long Covid is simply easier to define.

In sense of public health, long Covid is unique because we have many people suffering PVS from Covid at the same time, due to huge scale of infection within two years and that Covid is believed to cause PVS more.

Oh and I tested positive for covid on Thursday morning. So far it’s like the flu of old with a worse cough, a runny nose, and it’s going on to my chest. Generalised myalgia, arthralgia, headaches, nausea and generally feeling crap.
I did see reports that latest version of Omicron were starting to attack the lungs a little more, which isn’t a great development and previous Omicron infection offers little to no immunity.
Hope you feel better soon.

I always did worry a little about this coming winter so we will see what happens. Also bemused the gov declared no vaccine program except for over 75s early on this year. Surely over 55s like flu would be a sensible approach but much depends on what is around, Maybe it will just bubble along into progressively smaller waves and not increase in severity.

Last edited:
My Cypriot friend swears blind that running your chest liberally with their version of fire water cures any ailment known to man?

There must be a market for the Covid cocktail Thom? Sorry to hear you have caught the bug. Rest well and then a bit more still