Travel Normandy

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Lee Wallace, Aug 10, 2018.

1. I'm off to Normandy on Sunday going to St Malo / Avranches and surrounding areas.

I'm always on the lookout for good wine shops/cave du vin etc.

I normally go to the Hypermarkets which have a decent selection of fine wine like the ones in Vire/Avranche and l'alambic which is just down the road from Avranches.

If there's anywhere in these regions that hold a large stock of decent fine wine please let me know.

Many thanks,
    Lee

2. There's a decent wine shop just off the périph in Caen - forget the name but should be easily Googleable.

3. I live in Normandy but in Calvados and have no personal experience of wine shops in Manche or in Ille-et-Vilaine (Brittany) where St.Malo is located. As you will be coming from Guernsey, I guess that you'll arrive on the west coast of the Cotentin or at St.Malo and will be coming nowhere near Calvados.

However, when visiting an unfamiliar town with time for wine shopping, I consult RVF's Guide des Cavistes and the 2018 edition has the following recommendations.

For Avranches -

Les Chais Saint-Martin, 13 bd du Luxembourg, Saint-Martin-des-Champs, 50300 Avranches, www.leschaisstmartin.fr

For Saint-Malo -

Several, of which I would be most likely to try -
    Cave de l'Abbaye Saint-Jean, 7 rue des Cordiers, 35400 Saint-Malo, www.cave-abbaye.com

If you let me have your email address, I could scan the Manche and Ille-et-Vilaine pages and send them to you.

If you like lamb, there is a superb butcher supplying agneau des prés-salés at Avranches - he is VBA Votre Boucher Artisan, 2 rue d'Orléans. I'm not sure if this is the season for that lamb but his other meat is excellent.

As for hypermarkets, Intermarché and Leclerc near us have some worthwhile wines but, as most branches are franchises, one is not sure of finding the same things everywhere. For example, both our nearest Intermarché and Leclerc stock decent Roussillon from Mas Amiel for just under €10. The Bordeaux selection is what supermarkets do best but vintages are mostly recent and need some further maturing even with the lesser châteaux. However, there are still some 2012s around and some of these are beginning to drink graciously though not built for the long haul.

4. I can second Tim's recommendation of the Cave de l'Abbaye although it has been about 3 or 4 years since I last visited it. As it is within the walled part of St. Malo you do need to plan where you park the car if you intend to purchase more than the odd bottle. We made use of the park and ride near the Hippodrome which limited purchases to a couple of bottles.

Further inland on the south west side of Dinan the Leclerc there contains a quite large temperature controlled Cave with quite a decent selection: Rue de la Coulebart, 22100 Dinan, France.

Just around the corner from the Leclerc there is a wine store called Terre et Vins which has a decent selection. It is on the corner of the D795 and Rue Auguste Pavie opposite the Carrefour Market.

I would be interested to hear about the l'alambic in Avranches. We pass it on the way to and from the ferry in Ouistreham and I keep meaning to have a look but invariably we are short of time.

5. Within the old town of Dinan is a decent caviste, the cave des Jacobins, all major regions decently represented, and served us well during our stay in the region earlier this summer.