Opinions on Village Burgundy wines

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by GeorgeParkinson19, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Dear All,

I'm looking to increase the amount of red burgundy i have in my 'cellar'. I cannot afford to buy many of the 1er Cru's and of course Grand Crus.

I just wondered if anyone finds any great pleasure in the village level NSG or Vosne Romanee or Gevrey-Chambertin and if people do buy them, are there certain producers that they tend to go for?

It would be great to hear everyones views
    Cheers
    George

2. Certainly George, village wines can offer almost the full burgundy experience with the right bottle on the right day. Gevrey, Chambolle and Volnay might be your first port of call and with luck one can find matureish bottles at good prices because there is still an erroneous idea that they don't age as higher appellations do.Good producers will invariably make good village wines though in NSG and Pommard some bottles without a vineyard name can still be pretty coriaceous. Vosne village tends not to be worth the premium, as a broad generalisation.
    One producer whose village reds seem to me to embody typicity with particular success is Drouhin, and because they are negociant bottles they are not in massive demand so that although they are no longer inexpensive they can offer great value.

3. was going to type a mid length response, but it would pretty much be repeating exactly what Tom said above!

4. Having just checked winesearcher the Drouhin wines really are getting expensive. The Gevrey and Chambolle in particular really are terrific bottles, though there is more value elsewhere, particularly in Gevrey, and don't forget Fixin, Santenay and Savigny.

5. I opened a village Vosne-Romanee 2006 from Robert Arnoux and it was in superb condition and really smelled and tested of everything I want from a red Burgundy. Its always worth looking at lesser Cotes de Beaune villages for their red 1er crus or even village wines as you can find some gems there as well. I'm thinking along the likes of Auxey-Durresses, Chassagne-Montrachet, Meursault, Ladoix-Serrigny, St Romain etc.

6. Very true, Paul. Chassagne offers really lovely reds these days though perhaps without the very clearly defined character of yesteryear.
    Arnoux's red village wines of that period escaped the massive elevage used on higher appellations and may please more as a result for the foreseeable future!

7. It was two village wines that sparked my love of Burgundy, a 96 Gevrey Chambertin Aux Echezeaux from Fourrier and a 99 Morey from Arlaud. A few growers whose village wines I really like are below. There’s plenty of good wine to be had and as others have pointed out much of it lies beyond the better known villages.

Buffet (Volnay), Matrot (Blagny), Michael Gros (Vosne), Lamy (Santenay), Jean Marc Pilot (Chassange) and Jean Chauvenet (Nuits)

8. Village or regional wines from good producers give best value for money, but in burgundy that’s all relative
    If you can buy on release, or get an allocation, Fourriers Gevrey-Chambertin VV or Barthod’s C-M seem reliably good and not overly excessive price wise, Colin-Morey’s Meursault Les Narvaux on the white side is another favourite. None of these are budget wines but village wines are no longer in that category.
    Sylvain Pataille’s various marsannay cuvees are as close to a bargain for the price as you’ll get

Antoine Singer likes this.
  9. Does Matrot make a village Blagny rouge? I didn't know there was such a thing. I only know the Piece Sous Le Bois. Indeed thirty magnums of the 1976 made an indelible impression on me.

10. 30 magnums of any wine will make an indelible impression on anyone Tom

11. I was indeed referring to Piece Sous Le Bois which I had in my head as being a Lieu-dit village but is 1er cru. Don’t let that stop you buying it though, it’s wonderful.

12. I drank a spectacular Chambolle Musigny villages during past 12 months.
    Two more prosaic recent wines have been Bernard Moreau Chassagne M VV rouge ‘13 & Lafarge Volnay Vendanges Sélectionnées ‘05. Both good VFM, characterful & decent drinking.
    For even better value, it is worth hunting out good producers’ Côte de Nuits Villages.

13. Thank you for everyones responses. With Vosnee Romanee, Producers like AF Gros have an Aux Reas, Clos de la Fontaine (Monople), Maizieres. I always wondered whether these were worth it as such. I have a huge soft spot for AF Gros.

Even Domaine Guyon (not Familiar with) have village VR. De Montille of course has village NSG such as Aux Juliens etc.

Lets say theoretically i spent £250/6 Ib. i could get a Beaune 1er from De Montille or a village VR from other producers.

I saw some 1er Cru NSG from Jean Chauvenet for very little money which for me, with little knowledge raises eyebrows but are so tempting,

I of course know Fixin such as Joillot Clos de La Perriere, which at the most recent BBR 16 EP tasting came out as one of my favourites, but i wondered about the more known appellations

14. Village wine are definitely worth the effort, please find some of my favourites below:

JM Bouley Volnay
    J Voillot Pommard
    D Croix Beaune
    JM Pavelot Savigny
    Rapet Pernand
    R Chevillon NSG
    Dujac MSD
    Roumier Chambolle
    Anne Gros Vosne
    D Mortet Gevrey

Will Davies and Mark Carrington like this.
  15. Roumier is outstanding but comes at a price which makes it more than difficult to recommend.
    Dujac has domaine & negociant versions.

16. George, glad to read that you went to the BBR tasting. Keep tasting is my tip and really try and follow up on what you like. Otherwise you can keep reading lists of famous village producers as mentioned above, but maybe more fun to work it out for yourself.

Jamie Bolden likes this.
  17. Another uptick for Mortet. I also like Geantet Pansiot Chambolle villages and Mark Haisma Gevrey Chambertin which always gives pleasure.

David Bennett likes this.
  18. Agree on Mark Haisma Gevrey.

19. Another point I’d mention in this context is that vintage becomes more important in my view the lower down the classification you go. Great vintages often produce really good value in lower level wines eg 2009, 10 and 15. Whereas vintages like 2008 can orosuce incredible GCs but are much more variable at village level.

20. and mature faster, which can be a plus if you want to mature Burgundy yourself.

21. Arguably, the best commune for village wines is Gevrey. There are a lot of village-level vineyards, many are sold as individual vineyard wines and the standard of wine-making is generally high. The prices used to be very fair and are now stretched for the quality, but nevertheless this is a great hunting ground. Perhaps the worst village level wines come from Beaune itself - they're always underwhelming I find.

Thom Blach likes this.
  22. Partly because there are hardly any, Richard, the Beaune merchants having taken great care that every vaguely decent vineyard was granted 1er cruship! there used to be a lovely one from Marc Morey, though.
    Drouhin's Cote De Beaune (not villages!) is highly recommended.

Richard Zambuni likes this.
  23. The fustrating with going to the BBR tasting with so little knowledge is that i didn't know what i should be going round tasting, i didn't do the awful thing of just going by the GC etc.

Seeing Village Vosne-Romanee and Gevrey's from Domaine Guyon online for decent prices is fine but i didn't actually manage to taste them at the tasting.

Is anyone familiar with Domaine Guyon?

24. I adore their wines George (having worked with them at BBR) - ripe fruit, whole bunch vinification, no sulphur during winemaking but some added for bottling for stability. Very perfumed

25. Fourrier Gevry is lovely but unfortunately the prices nowadays reflect this. The 2006 at about £100 is gorgeous and as good as much more expensive PC and GC from some producers