TN Paddy's weekend quaffing

920D7F97-B81A-4BC4-881F-684B501A4539.jpeg

Giuseppe Mascarello Barolo Monprivato 2006.

This is Barolo at its best. Such grip, such tension, such elegance all wrapped up in a beguiling middleweight package. The sour, silken red fruit is leavened by savoury notes of old leather, tobacco and earth but above all you sense a Barolo of real nobility that somehow stands above the fray. A Barolo that manages to engage magnificently without appearing to engage at all.

Domaine de Chevalier 2013 375ml

Drinks like a lunchtime claret. Plummy, raspberry, bell pepper, tobacco. Hollowed out. Tannin just about integrated. Med acidity, med length. Definitely meh!

Domaine Treloar One Block Muscat 2018

Drinks up! Acidity disappearing fast and drinking like a holiday Muscat, fruity but not too sweet. View attachment 30491
In
Hah! Mine arrived home from TWS storage today…
Interesting Jancis was relatively positive about this recently (16++) and described it as embryonic. I've got 6 stashed away and keep meaning to try them.

2009 Grunhaus Abtsberg Superior tonight to mark the end of a rather mixed week. Lovely wine - nuanced and interesting but also so, so quaffable. I really struggled to pin down the panoply of flavours it gave but there were remarkably strong notes of nutmeg, rhubarb and redcurrant. Wish I had more than 1 bottle left.

60E911D1-0034-4558-AFA2-B1176ACCB1F4.jpeg

• 2012 Arterberry Maresh Pinot Noir Winderlea - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Dundee Hills (17/03/2023)
    Bright mid to light ruby. Rounded mid-red fruit. Very harmonious if not particularly complex or long. A little more cranberry bite with air. Attractive. Ultimately just lacking some complexity and drive, especially for the price tag (£60 on the table). ***1/2 (90 pts.)
  • 2013 L.A.S Vino CBDB Chenin Blanc Dynamic Blend - Australia, Western Australia, South West Australia, Margaret River (15/03/2023)
    Mid straw. Ripe, slightly tropical nose, the Viognier element to the fore but tempered somewhat by the Chenin; the SB now creamy and rounded. Some richness but dry on the attack, and through the moderately long finish. This has lost a little grip and exuberance cf bottles from the top half of the case five years ago — current,y lacking a little energy and verve. Remains interesting though, and very drinkable. *** (88 pts.)
Posted from CellarTracker

7847263B-C87A-4D96-B5A6-A965039EF406.jpeg

View attachment 30493

This is Barolo at its best. Such grip, such tension, such elegance all wrapped up in a beguiling middleweight package. The sour, silken red fruit is leavened by savoury notes of old leather, tobacco and earth but above all you sense a Barolo of real nobility that somehow stands above the fray. A Barolo that manages to engage magnificently without appearing to engage at all.

Talking about Monporivato 2006 as drunk by NPM recently, we drank the Monprivato 1996 a couple of weeks ago. My notes read " Decanted 5 hours in advance, So very rich and just lovely. Perfect balance. Beautifully integrated tannins. So rich yet not at all cloying due to the perfect balance. A master wine maker at the top of his game." If NPM has any more bottles of his 2006, may I humbly suggest that he keeps some for another few years which will amply repay his patience.

View attachment 30493

Sounds magnificent Nigel. The 2013 MP is my son no2’s push the boat out case so look forward to opening the first one in about 8 years

Talking about Monporivato 2006 as drunk by NPM recently, we drank the Monprivato 1996 a couple of weeks ago. My notes read " Decanted 5 hours in advance, So very rich and just lovely. Perfect balance. Beautifully integrated tannins. So rich yet not at all cloying due to the perfect balance. A master wine maker at the top of his game." If NPM has any more bottles of his 2006, may I humbly suggest that he keeps some for another few years which will amply repay his patience.
100% agree but then I find Barolo almost impossible to enjoy unless it has about 40 years bottle age. In fact, I do believe the Hon NPM bought a few bottles of 96 Monprivato that I put in a Bacchus auction a few years back.

100% agree but then I find Barolo almost impossible to enjoy unless it has about 40 years bottle age. In fact, I do believe the Hon NPM bought a few bottles of 96 Monprivato that I put in a Bacchus auction a few years back.
I share your pain Keith ,
The langhe though is a different place today with technology and investment,the place has changed so much in the last 10 years
Add into the fact the extra heat , vintages are not requiring the patience of old.
The gerenic wines are good to go on release whereas the crus do need time to blossom.I do like the traditional wine making of the past but the market wants instant theses days.

A brace of Treloars last night. Drinking through them quite quickly these days.

Followed by a Hanwell Style Sazerac, which was ultimately followed by another.

• 2016 Domaine Treloar Le Secret - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon (17/03/2023)
    Friday dinner in the suburbs
    : Colour - light purple. On the nose, bramble, a bit earthy. On the palate - just a hint of animale to keep it interesting, some red fruits, lovely acidity. Less focused perhaps than a thrilling cornas but unmistakably Syrah and carries its stated 14% abv lightly. Enjoyed it even more than the preceding bottle - and it’s also even better value. Paired well with the end of the fajitas and then Cloud 9 and QI.
  • 2016 Domaine Treloar Motus - France, Languedoc Roussillon, Roussillon, Côtes du Roussillon (17/03/2023)
    Friday dinner in the suburbs
    : Friday night dinner - served with fajitas and family banter. Nose - brambly, earthy, just a tiny whiff of brett? On the palate - some crunch, some savouriness, nice structure with sturdy but not overbearing tannins and a good lick of acidity. Says 14% ABV but doesn’t feel ponderous or flabby. Just the thing to get the weekend started - and jolly good value.
Posted from CellarTracker

Another Bolly LGA Rose 12 last night . Solid and enjoyable as ever.

Opened a K Vintners Syrah Royal City 2014.
these are great Washington state wines. Not quite the French aromas and palate of Cayuse and slightly cleaner profile but lovely and quite impressive.

Today for lunch popped open a screw cap to help make lunch. After a taste the bottle was downed over lunch very quickly.
Verget 2019 Saint Veran Lieu Inter Dit. Possibly some tropical notes in there of pineapple but this is really energetic and zesty with great acid, delicious. It Has some oak but can barely taste it so really works well. (£25-£30 as well so very good)

Louis Brochet HBH 2008 - part of recent mixed case from Sip.

Really good. Initially feels a little austere on back end but evens out. 4g dosage, good nose. Enjoyable but flattens out a touch quickly in the glass, while remaining effervescent. This is pretty good and I wonder if it needs a few years but can be drunk now. Saving for Mother’s Day but wanted to try a glass.

Have some phillip warren short ribs so opened a lovely Syrah. Been 18 months since last bottle at Wimps so keen to see how this going.
2012 Cayuse Bionic Frog.

5AD841A2-D2D9-4781-BE0E-15A2239F658D.jpeg

Off to the Drapers Arms this evening. Have a 1990 Cos stood up and we plan on pairing it with the 05 off the list.

Just have two hours of squash to get through first. Though at least I’ll feel as though I’ve earned a drink or two!

Getting hyped up for Grimsby s FA cup quarter final tomorrow at Brighton... friends down frpm Ooop Noorf who are not wine drinkers so smashing thru a couple of Sainsburys offerings.

The Jurancon sec is a very worthwhile use of 7 quid.... good acidity without being screechy...and a touch of depth.
20230318_164517.jpg

The riesling...well its ok. 9 quid i think. Serve cold and its better. Not all wine experiences are about the wine... just great to discuss niche Grimsby Town matches of the 1980s with an old friend.

16791586561915808367824174325826.jpg

Lorne for dinner last night. Great as ever. Food and service spot on.

Ordered a few nice low level things off the list as we were with another couple;

1679159492458.jpeg

This was in a great spot, especially the second glass when it warmed a touch. Really great for the money. £54 on the list.

1679159508647.jpeg

Ordered this as I wanted something with some age and the rest of the options were pretty young. Had this before and really like it, but the beetroot medley with the venison dish overpowered it a bit. £72

1679159533023.jpeg

This was very serviceable with cheese. Have heard great things about this producer as a potential source of value but on this showing it wasn’t that exciting. £65

Had a glass on the vin doux naturels 1976 with dessert which is always a treat.

Last edited: