Peaty Whisky: Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'The Spirits Forum' started by Mark Priestley, Dec 20, 2017.

1. I've been tasked with buying a bottle of Peaty Whisky as a Christmas gift but as my knowledge in this area is pretty non-existent I wonder what recommendations people here might have?

Thanks in advance

2. Peating varies from the subtle (Cragganmore), gentle (Talisker), moderate (Lagavulin) and heavy (Ardbeg). Islay's the home of peat and runs the moderate to heavy show. I'm guessing that the recipient is reasonably in to whisky and perhaps they might appreciate something a bit different. Springbank (Mull of Kintyre) is towards the gentle end and a really nice if under-rated dram. On the contrary The Ileach (Vintage Malt Whisky Company) offers heavy smoke with good complexity if a little on the young side. A few Speysides are experimenting with single edition peaty malts and have a look at Balvenie, Tomintoul and Glenrothes (not tasted any of these yet). You do not need to spend a fortune to get a good whisky. I was going to recommend Port Ellen 1982 Connoisseur's Choice which I bought for £120 six years ago but it seems to have jumped to £1500 so I'd leave that (and I'll enjoy the last of the bottle). Probably worth £120 but at £1500 you'd be off your rocker.

3. A fine summary Kinley, though I would suggest that most Laphroaigs would be peatier than an Ardbeg on the heavy peat scale.

Mahmoud.