Pio Cesare?

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Thom Blach, Jul 8, 2018.

1. I remember enjoying some Barolo from here a long time ago but I seem to recall that they were taken over. Does anyone know if the wines are still good?

Joe Mansfield likes this.
  2. Hi Thom
    Could you be confusing them with Prunotto? (taken over by the Antinori family). Beppe Colla started his own winery when this happened (Podere Colla)

Pio Cesare very decent still from what I've tried, but it's maybe a decade since we had the 1998 Ornato that was a proper 'wall of tannin' Barolo, that shouldn't have been opened then, and is probably still a bit tight today.

Regards
    Ian

3. I think I may indeed be confused, Ian. I was particularly wondering about some of their fairly expensive lesser wines. In my recent experience I always enjoy lesser Piemonte wines more than Barolo and Barbaresco until the latter are properly mature. Which takes a long time!
    The Braida Grignolino 2016 I am currently drinking is really everything one could want in a red wine for this kind of weather with a slightly too dry salame Felino sliced paper thin and some very good flat peaches.

4. Hi Thom
    They were producers I always used to get mixed up, so figured someone else might have had the same problem!

Mark Priestley organised a great tasting a while back, at a little Italian restaurant 10-15 mins walk north of Liverpool St. The theme was Piemonte barring Barolo and Barbaresco, and it really showcased what variety (and drinkability) there is in the region. I enjoyed it more than the other 'Piemonte' tastings I've been to - which have been almost all Barolo/Barbaresco. To steal a turn of phrase, such tastings feel like having the icing without the cake.

It prompted me on my last trip to Torino (an ill-disguised grocery shopping trip), to eschew the more obvious choices when luggage space is limited. In particular it was a real wrench to avoid picking up Bartolo Mascarello Barolo at a fair price (nowhere near where secondary market price is going these days). I have a decent stash of Barolo/Barbaresco though and it's too easy to keep buying it. Thus wines I bought had a focus on other Piemontese wines, including Vespolina from Ghemme area, Timorasso, Freisa, Grignolino, and others. The Grignolino was a joy and I will be buying more. Oddly, there was a Pio Cesare I also brought back - a very old Barbera with decent colour and level.

You're drinking habits in Piemontese wines sounds a lot closer to the Italians than the British (or Americans), though they are happier having Barolo/Barbaresco younger, albeit with food to fight the tannins.

Regards
    Ian

5. The Braida moscato is also good.

I'm not sure PC is top drawer but I think I have a case of 06 normale somewhere.

6. Tom - I sort of agree with you about the lesser wines being one of the few who don't really get Barolo and Barbaresco even when mature, however many of the barberas and dolcettos have seen the alcohol levels really rise in the last decade to the point where they are no longer refreshing wines, but more like something from the southern Rhone in weight. Although its hard to buy certain lesser northern Italian wines in the UK, there are better options out there I feel.

7. Agreed about the other two Bs, Richard, which is why I prefer Freisa, Grignolino and Pelaverga. I am still waiting for my first Ruché.
    Have you had a forty year old Barolo? that is when they start to make sense.

8. I can attest to their Gavi being rather decent. I recall buying the '03 and '09 at the very same store and enjoying both, for the latter's youth and the former's aged character.