Recommendations for Burgundy Domaine Visits

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by GeorgeParkinson19, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Dear all,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some domaines to go to visit. I am already in the process of planning a trip to Bordeaux to visit some chateaux so i thought i could then go to Burgundy for a week or so. I was wondering if anyone could recommend any domaines to go that maybe include tastings?

Thank you

Alex Jagger likes this.
  2. How are you planning to get between the two George as it's a fair old schlepp?

Having said that I've driven it the last two summers and the best recco is do it in a proper car as its hilly!

Domaine visits in burgundy are not that easy but the negociants do ok introductory ones - Jadot, Drouhin are quite fun.

Beyond that either giving a call, especially to someone who's wines you like and can enthuse about, and hoping to get lucky or an introduction through a merchant you're spending too much money with is your best bet.

Setting visits aside, simply driving around through the villages/vineyards is an education in itself and seeing first hand the terroir and the rises and dips etc. will open your eyes.

Throw in some Burgundian food and wine and its almost worth the drive :)

3. I hadn't thought of what yet as in travel however if worst came to worst i could almost make two trips which would be fun too.

I see, i didn't realise that they are not as easy to organise as such. I suppose i will stand sending some emails

4. George

Some of the grander names in Burgundy can be very difficult to visit without an introduction from their agent in the UK. However, there are many smaller domains producing great wines (and great VFM) who will welcome you, preferably with an appointment. Are you thinking of buying at the domaine? Many of the bigger names won't have any wine available and the prices where they have some can be a shock.

What I like to do is when I visit the EP tastings in London is get talking to new up and coming producers who are in my price bracket and ask them if they accept visitors. I discovered Jean Guiton that way. Got his email off him, contacted him before I went to France to set up an appointment, and asked for his price list so as not to get a nasty surprise when I visited. Would wholeheartedly recommend him. Another small domaine I have visited several times which sells wines I can afford is Naudin-Ferrand (they have a website).

The excellent Co-Op Nuiton Beaunoy (the former Caves des Hautes Cotes) has a large range of wines on taste at various prices. Being a Co-Op you can just buy a couple of bottles and you won't feel guilty walking out.

There are also "touristy" visits you can do in Beaune which although aimed at catching tourists can allow you to taste a range of wines at the same time-you pay a fee for the tasting so don't have to buy wine if you don't want too. The tourist office in Beaune will advise. Patriache does one and there is another at the Marche aux Vins. The best I went to was the Chateau du Meursault (owned by Patriache but much better wines).

The tourist office in Beaune can arrange visits for you to smaller domains as well. In fact you could do worse that look at the Beaune tourist office's website.

Of course there is Chablis, Chalon area and Macon you can visit too which in my experience are rather more welcoming and whose wines offer better value.

Thom Blach and Alex Jagger like this.
  5. Also Chateau de Meursault is very public friendly and you will get to taste a few different wines , reds and whites.

6. I’ve always found Jerome Chezeaux very approachable, with fair pricing and wines to sell

7. Alex J. has a point. I do the Bordeaux-Burgundy drive once a year. It is long (7 hours) and fairly boring on the A 89 motorway.
    I always promise myself that I will stop on the way, but there is nothing really to see!

I will have more time in 2019 and so will go a bit out of my way via Sancerre (only 66 km further).

Burgundy is a tough nut to crack, certainly for the famous estates.
    The large Bordeaux estates are better equipped to receive visitors (wine enthusiasts as opposed to trade professionals), but you need to contact them well ahead of time and plan an itinerary (distances between appellations can be great).

It is difficult to make appointments in both régions in August when the French go, lemming-like, on holiday.

Best regards,
    Alex R.

8. I know you'd prefer individual recommendations, but here's the tourist office list of 48 wineries that do tastings, some just turn up and some appointment. I know when we visited in 2003 we used their leaflet (pre-internet?) and found mixed results, being turned away from some which claimed to be open to all, but others were good. Especially Dufoulour in Nuit, not the one listed though but a cousin Guy Dufoulour which is nearby and we may have gone in mistaking it for the other one, but were pleased with the result.

Wineries

9. In the last few years we have had good visits at Ravaut in Ladoix and Dubreuil-Fontaine in Pernand, both easily arranged via e-mail (in French). Domaine Berthaut in Fixin have, unusually, a shop (Caveau Napoleon). They sell their own wines (which are excellent) and last time we were there had some Joliet, though the straight 1er Cru rather than the Clos de La Perriere.

Mark Carrington likes this.
  10. Alain Michelot on the way into NSG from the north side just after the main crossroads traffic lights are ok to visit on spec - or were a couple of years back when I called without appointment and just post vendange. Madame Michelot was a welcoming, chatty, very, very nice lady.

Second Steven's reccos of Ravaut and D-F. I visited Ravaut Nov 2016 after an easily arranged email appointment after having been ever so politely turned away again post vendange time - which was absolutely fair enough. Great tasting and lovely people. Since then the brothers Ravaut have split the domaine & I've not been yet to the new operation. Hope to be back there later this year.

As occasionally recorded on here previously I have a longstanding relationship at Dubreuil-Fontaine. Christine Dubreuil is great, although could seem aloof at first acquaintance (she isn't when you know her better !) - her formative wine making years included some time in Sonoma hence she has great English American. The Volnay Village can be a raging bargain as it includes (or certainly used to) fruit from small parcels of a couple of Volnay premier crus not large enough for separate vinification. Personal favourites are the D-F Beaune 1er Montrevenots (rouge - from a spectacular site) and the blanc P-V 1ers Sous Fretille and Clos Berthet (latter a domaine monopole).

11. An addendum to my post yesterday, as I couldn't then remember this name (must be me age !) :- Maison Capitain-Gagnerot, Ladoix.

Little tricky to find, easy to drive past, as set well back from the main road. Sell direct, and on my last visit, they had back vintages with then very sensible/good qpr prices. Was very 'sleepy hollow' when I called on spec, just one girl on a computer behind the counter. I didn't ask for a tasting, not sure if this would have been available - I was just happy to scrutinise the price list and select a few bottles. Maybe not 'that' fashionable or 'world beating', but for me good, 'honest', wines from my few bottles, all now consumed.