Red Sancerre

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Richard_Brooks, Sep 18, 2017.

1. The hunt for delicious, complex, drinkable pinot noir continues. You know why. I just took delivery of some Oregon pinots from A&B and will report here. But a few weeks ago I got some Domaine Vincent Delaporte Sancerre from Lea & Sandeman. First impressions are that this is well made, attractively fresh, mineral and food-friendly, and not mind-blowing but good. Tried a more basic bottling and a fancy one around £30 and will write some notes on future bottles when I trust myself a bit more in a new appellation

So the question is: what about red Sancerre? What should we Burgundy refugees be drinking from here? I bet there is fun to be had.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  2. I've enjoyed wines from Pinard (Vincent), Vatan and Vacheron in the past. All worth trying.

Can also recommend Irancy if you are branching out from Burgundy though those with quite a lot of Cesar in the blend can be a bit on the tart side.

3. I quite like Sancerre, but there's a lot of mediocre stuff out there too.I had one in a restaurant last week (not like me, I do not remember the name, but it was a business lunch so perhaps I can be forgiven) and the wine was rather insipid and amazingly somewhat sweet. How rare is that?

I used to have a poor opinion of the red, thinking it as an overpriced wine for Parisians, but I've had some good examples lately. There are some very fine ones.

Best regards,
    Alex R.

4. Used to buy Vacheron & also enjoyed some releases from Henri Bourgeois. Currently, my producer of choice is Vincent Pinard. There is a clear step up with the senior cuvées, though they need ageing.

5. 2011 Vincent Pinard Sancerre Rouge Charlouise
    • Full colour; an engaging, gamey nose, rather glamorous; supple, fresh, some oak, well measured fruit; nothing profound but delicious. 91 points.

Add a Comment

6. Not had them in a while but the Sancerre Rouge and Sancerre "Terre de Maimbray" Rouge from Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy are well worth seeking out.

Following on from Uilaim's tip on Irancy check out Domaine de la Cadette in Vezelay; mostly a White wine operation but the Bourgogne Champs Cadet (100% Pinot Noir) and Bourgogne L'Ermitage Rouge (85% Pinot Noir, 15% Cesar) are both excellent and pretty well priced.

7. I once drank a pure Cesar at Chez Michel with great enjoyment but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

8. Coincidentally this week, I drank a bottle of Delaporte 'Cul de Beaujeau' 2015, right after a 2006 Grivot Vosne. Interesting contrast, and the Sancerre was not at all embarrassed. It's a very well made wine, perhaps a little too sleek for some, but with a great mixture of delicacy and persistence, sweet forest fruit, and fresh acidity. Almost no tannin at all, but a touch of vanilla presumably from oak. I see no point in hanging about to see if it turns into something else. Very drinkable indeed.

9. We drink a lot of Gerard Boulay's rosé Sancerre(100%PN Natch) as well as his whites,which are fab, not tried his red for a while but my memories of it are good.

10. The 2014 La Pierre Blanche, from Jean-Michel Fouassier was stonking, the other week.

Could have been a top notch Hautes-Côtes; but definitely wasn't, at the same time. Crunchy red fruit on both nose and palate. Good density, but an acid spine that was definitely Loire-like.

I had always discounted Sancerre Rouge as being too green for my tastes; however, if that bottle was anything to go by, I definitely need to revisit.

Alex Lake likes this.
  11. As a complete aside, I have a friend who makes a couple of 100% César, in Burgundy. One 'normal' winemaking; the other, 12 months on skins in an amphora.

Both lovely wines; though I don't think the variety will win a place in my top ten.

12. Another vote for Vincent Pinard. I also had a nice wine from Pascal & Nicolas Reverdy this year, a 2011 of all things, called Terre de Maimbray. No idea what their reds are supposed to be like generally, but this one was good.

13. But who?

14. Enjoyed Lucien Crochet La Croix du Roy (2012 I recall) a couple of times in Le Cercle in Bourges - excellent value at €45 given the place has a Michelin *.

15. I will have to find out what label he's putting it under, and get back to you. Currently, 100% César (whether or not it's seen an amphora) is not legal under the Bourgogne AOP.

16. Off topic really but I also bought a selection of Oregon Pinot from A&B and have been disappointed generally. All well made wines as you'd expect, and generally pretty tasty, but something dead in the fruit that I couldn't put my finger on. They are very young so I haven't given them a fair crack of the whip really I suppose but you have to make decisions. I wonder if Spatburgunder might be a place to look?

Alex Lake likes this.
  17. That’s heading down the dark side, Ben.

18. I considered suggesting that but thought better of it. They come down like a ton of bricks on you, as if you had mentioned br*xit, you know.

The thing to remember with Spätburgunder is (aside from climate/microclimate) that rock types vary. Some is grown on limestone, or argilo-calcaire mix and so have a connection at least with Burgundy in that respect. Others, off slate, can be very different, as again can wines from volcanic soils (like parts of Baden).

So whilst quality can be high anywhere, styles vary.

I had a brilliant visit to Fritz Becker week before last. Fantastic Spätburgunder grown in France between Wissembourg and Schweigen, and labelled under German wine law. Mostly on limestone, and with a climate similar to the Côte d’Or, they are my favourite German reds, I think (though there are a couple of rivals for that honour).

19. Red Sancerre is always interesting, I love Domaine Vatan and if I’m drinking red Pinot from the Loire I often look at areas like Menetou Salon too.

I quite like (perhaps a bit controversial) to Chill it down a couple of degrees (I always do this with my Cabernet Francs) and admittedly often drink these wines in Summer but by chilling it slightly it brings out the fruit & it is delicious!

20. Hey Bianca! *waves*

Lovely to see you here.

Bianca Ford likes this.
  21. How chilled is chilled? I tend to feel that no wine should ever be served warmer than 15C.

22. Red Sancerre can close down every bit as hard as red burgundy can. Just worth bearing in mind I think.

23. Waving back Nayan

Nayan Gowda likes this.
  24. For me it depends on the weather, in the Summer I quite like it cool (I tend to drink it more this way in the Summer anyway) I stick it in the fridge for 10 minutes .. works a treat! I don’t do this with all Pinots but the Loire versions lend themselves for it!

25. I agree, Lots of reds benefit, not just Pinot and Gamay. Certainly Cab Franc as you said earlier.