NWR RIP Pete Shelley

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by David Crossley, Dec 6, 2018.

1. just heard this sad news, suspected heart attack, only 63.

Shelley was important to many of us of a certain age, I know, and it is always sad when someone who has contributed so much dies so young. We seem to be entering that time of year again. But it’s scary as well that, whilst some live long, others don’t.

Nigel Palesford and Rob Lockwood like this.
  2. Another part of my early youth dead. RIP sad loss.

3. Ever fallen in love with someone you shouldna fallen in love with? Yup.

4. Tom Cannavan

Tom Cannavan Administrator

Shocking. I still see him as 20 year old when I last saw the Buzzcocks. How is this possible? RIP.

5. Shocker.

Seem to think he was involved with Devoto in organising the first Pistols' gig at the Lesser Free Trade Hall (without which, etc), as well as his own weighty musical contribution. They also got together again recently I think? Oh Shit.

6. Most upsetting. He wrote some of finest, beautifully crafted pop songs, which still resonate down the age. Gideon Coe is playing a few tonight & later will play one of the Peel sessions. It's been a tough year.

7. Sad news - those first 8 singles that made up side 1 of the Going Steady compilation were a brilliant sequence of perfect pop songs.

Rob Lockwood likes this.
  8. One of the best from the punk era. Very sad.

9. Wrote some off the best pop songs for love lorn teenagers, and great tunes. Spiral Scratch, what a debut release! Must play Another Music.

David Crossley likes this.
  10. I still have a brilliant ehem LP of the first lineup with Shelley and Devoto...stonking rendition of Boredom (Bdum Bdum). Always remember having to turn the volume down on Orgasm Adict if my parents were around.

Been listening to lots of Bowie last week as was laid low with a tendon injury, and contemplating the almost inevitable sad news of this season of supposed good cheer. Shelley, Roeg, hopefully not more.

Andrew Blunsden and Rob Lockwood like this.