Food Salmon with Sorrel

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Martin Zwick, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Here comes an all-time French classic by the famous Michel Troisgros. Also one of my personal favorite dishes. Perfect yesterday night with the victory of the French team. Allez les Bleus!

Ingredients

400g salmon filet with skin

1 bunch sorrel

250ml fish stock

250g Créme fraiche

1 glass white wine (Sancerre/Riesling)

1 shallot chopped

salt/white pepper

dash lemon juice

Preparation

1. First remove the stalks from the sorrel. You fold the leaves and then remove the stalk.

[​IMG]

2. Quite easy but you need patience.

[​IMG]

3. Heat a little bit oil and add chopped shallot. Cook until translucent

[​IMG]

4. Add Créme fraiche, fish stock, white wine

[​IMG]

5. Let it cook for around 30min on low to medium heat. Also add some salt&white pepper.

[​IMG]

6. Add the salmon filets skin upside to a cold non-stick pan, heat the pan without oil or butter to medium heat. Sauté the fish for 2min. Flip the fish to the skin side and sauté for 2-3min, optional add a touch of oil. Beware of the fact that the sauce is hot, so the fish will cook through the sauce a little bit.

[​IMG]

7. Shortly before serving add the sorrel to the sauce and a dash of lemon juice

[​IMG]

8. Add the sauce to a plate, on top the salmon filet. ENJOY

IMG_6556.JPG

Vive la France,
    Martin

2. The original dish was made with horizontal escalopes of salmon rather than thick fillets. I would take the skin off before cooking anyway. It is a ravishing sauce.

3. YES, that's true. Here a video to see Michel Troisgros in action.

4. Interesting that you only throw the sorrel in at the last minute.

The recipe I know involves cooking the sorrel for longer, so that its lemony flavour comes out into the sauce (which then doesn't need lemon). Then there's no need to destalk the sorrel. The downside is that the sorrel goes a kind of grey colour that is not very appealing.

5. You can blanch and shock the sorrel to retain colour but there is some loss of flavour.
    PS nice video! I liked his insistence on white pepper, it is an integral part of the flavour of France as well as of Cantonese food. I think we tend to neglect it here but it is a very different taste to black.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  6. When is sorrel available?

7. May-September although I can only speak for the stuff I used to grow in a window box on the Holloway Road which tasted a little bit like the no.43 bus.

Alex Lake likes this.
  8. Top bus, that! I remember the good old X43 (or was it 43X)...

9. I'd assume it would be X43 - if it's like the X68 which I've used it would be an express bus morning and evening only.
    To return to the subject, though - I remember a time when most places only had ready ground white pepper of dubious freshness; black pepper freshly ground had no difficulty in taking over, and many places just forgot about the white as it was presumably thought too much bother to keep both...
    (edited later on to remove the typos resulting from posting using my phone!)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Thom Blach likes this.

10. Can't deny the man knows his historical bus routes.

Consider my cap well and truly doffed.

11. Paul,

I made it like Michel Troisgros, shortly before serving. Also I don't like it when the sorrel is grey.