"Savoury course" equivalent

Discussion in 'UK Wine Forum' started by Alex Lake, Oct 11, 2018.

1. I was thinking about how often we have so many wines at offlines (eg. WIMPs, which this month - thanks to Craig's generosity - is 11 bottles) and that it can get a bit much when one has perhaps 6 different takes on Bordeaux blends, etc, and hard to retain focus - assuming one would wish to do so....

I was wondering if there's an interesting way to insert some kind of relief/segue wine between whites and reds, or reds and stickies - perhaps akin to a vinous version of a sorbet course or Savoury course.

Perhaps something like Champagne or a Saké? Or maybe water/cup of tea would be better - and olive oil is another option ;-)

Just a thought....

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  2. Rule number 5 Alex :)

3. "We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content submitted for any reason without explanation." ?

Stephen Pickles likes this.
  4. No Google is your friend Alex, I thought you might be familiar with the cycling "rules".

Alex Lake likes this.
  5. Ah! But this is WIMPs!

6. I tend to agree with Andrew unless you'd consider a large tequila?

7. Champagne is the best refresher. Like oysters it enables one to consume much more other stuff.

Alex Jagger and Spenser Hilliard like this.
  8. It is also a lovely way to finish a meal.

9. ....and start.

Alex Jagger likes this.
  10. I have experimented extensively with the 'Trou Normand'. It is most enjoyable but highly ineffective.

11. I have found the 'Trou Normand' both enjoyable and highly effective on occasions Tom, although the continuance of such practice can lead to 'Calvados regret' the following morning :(

See also 'Gin Regret', 'Malt Whisky Regret', 'Cognac Regret' ad nauseam ......

Thom Blach likes this.
  12. I've just looked up Trou Normand. It sounds brutal and thoroughly ruinous.

I might try it this weekend.

13. You will require a tasting menu of some richness to appreciate its true effect Will.

I was a disbeliever ( a bit like my first Georges Riedel experience) but it has worked to my surprise :)

14. Duly noted

15. Yes I’m with Andy rather than Tom on this one. Although the reason it works is no doubt as much psychosomatic as physiological

16. I tried it once. Can't remember what the outcome was.

17. I take the point, even more so when at some tastings the white/sparkling is a token effort and there is a long list of substantial red wines.

Certainly giving some thought to breaking up the barrage is worth considering (as is avoiding such a barrage in the first place by having greater diversity).

Maybe it's as simple as having a non-smoker smoker's break, just a few minutes outside in the fresh air? Alternatively, just having 5 mins sipping water at the table should give a decent 'reset'.

18. The ghost at the feast is our old friend Mr. Dihydrogen Monoxide. In the midst of a 9 bottle melee, I am absolutely sure that my palate remains more alert and resilient if I guzzle down gallons of water between glasses.

Alex Lake likes this.
  19. It's already called WIMPS for a reason.....

If focus is your aim surely the most practical way is to only have a tasting sip of each wine and then go back for actual drinking when all have been assessed.

Not everyone finishes all their pours but I usually do - and its why I like sitting next to George :)

Alex Lake and George Marshall like this.
  20. In a Geronese restaurant a couple of years back my wife declared her self stuffed half way through a large steak and inched her plate away. An attentive waitress asked if there was a problem, and when the faltering appetite had been explained had a solution: "I'll take it away now, and bring you a gintonic. When you have finished that I'll bring the steak back. You'll see."

21. ....and accompany.

22. And avoid entirely

23. ....and in the pub afterwards.

Steven Pritchard likes this.