NWR Silly Little Things That Annoy You

Restaurants who use Instagram or Facebook for their menus., Just put the bloody menu somewhere where I can actually bloody read it. Latest one to grind my gears is one reviewed by Grace Dent in the Guardian. Click on link - Instgram. can't open the sodding menu because I dont have account. Another lost customer!

Yes, loads of restaurants now abandoning proper web sites and pointing you to either Facebook or Instagram instead, which I agree is a terrible idea - finding the information you need, even if it is there somewhere, is nowhere near as easy.

People going around at tastings wearing backpacks - particularly if they turn around unexpectedly.

I've been raging against this for years! :) I've anonymised photos of a*******s with huge backpacks crowding into tasting table and posted them on social media before now, and when I ran my festivals I even published a small advisory video on wine tasting etiquette, rule number one being no sodding backpacks.

NHS wasting money.
I am sitting in Northampton General awaiting a follow up scan.
In the months since my last attendance they have re vamped the main entrance Zeba Crossing with rainbow coloured additional paving inviting one to "Cross with Pride"
Once inside the stairs en route to Radiology each and every stair features an additional new front edging of linoleum in the Rainbow colours to follow the pride theme.
I am not interested in the politics of this exercise, but if the NHS has not got better things to p!ss money away on then it is a poor show.:mad:

NHS wasting money.
I am sitting in Northampton General awaiting a follow up scan.
In the months since my last attendance they have re vamped the main entrance Zeba Crossing with rainbow coloured additional paving inviting one to "Cross with Pride"
Once inside the stairs en route to Radiology each and every stair features an additional new front edging of linoleum in the Rainbow colours to follow the pride theme.
I am not interested in the politics of this exercise, but if the NHS has not got better things to p!ss money away on then it is a poor show.:mad:

Ray, I could give a very long response to this, but as it would move us further into a political spectrum of discussion, so 'll limit it to a few points:

Homosexual acts were completely illegal in England until 1969, Scotland until 1980
Homosexual acts are still illegal in 64 countries, potentially subject to the death penalty in 5 of them
Discrimination against gay (LGBT) people is still rampant in the UK - The Met Police, The FA, etc., etc.

Adding a rainbow flag might be waste of money, but it might be a genuine welcome to a marginalised and still discriminated-against group, for the cost of a bit of lino and a few paving slabs.

It's because a very visible difference is made for almost no money, Ray,

Adding a rainbow flag might be waste of money, but it might be a genuine welcome to a marginalised and still discriminated-against group, for the cost of a bit of lino and a few paving slabs.
Gents, the additional cost will have run into many thousands of pounds.

The appointment was hours late and was conducted by kind but clearly overstretched people manning a department that is vital, but seemingly operating without the resource needed.
The thing that annoys me is that their bosses have chosen to spend money making a gesture rather than a direct tangible difference for their team and their ability to care.

Last edited:
People who go to museums and exhibitions to take pictures of themselves in front of well known works of art, while not having any interest in standing back and spending time actually looking at painting/sculpture that is being used as a backdrop for a selfie
They are likely on their way to a concert at which they will use their phone to illegally record the performance whilst blocking the person behind’s view.

Last edited:
Gents, the additional cost will have run into many thousands of pounds.

The appointment was hours late and was conducted by kind but clearly overstretched people manning a department that is vital, but seemingly operating without the resource needed.
The thing that annoys me is that their bosses have chosen to spend money making a gesture rather than a direct tangible difference for their team and their ability to care.
We don't know by whom it was funded, but we do know that had it not happened there would have been no associated improvement whatever in the quality of service. It's really nothing at all to worry about in the great scheme of things even if one doesn't appreciate any marginal increase in cheerfulness.

People who go to museums and exhibitions to take pictures of themselves in front of well known works of art, while not having any interest in standing back and spending time actually looking at painting/sculpture that is being used as a backdrop for a selfie
It’s not just museums and galleries, though. This applies equally to great buildings, landscapes or any other tourist attraction you care to mention.

It’s not just museums and galleries, though. This applies equally to great buildings, landscapes or any other tourist attraction you care to mention.

It's like the comedy sketch of cruise passengers (stereotypically American) "doing" Italy in a day and moving on having ticked it off their list :)

I remember 35 years ago on the first time I went to New York, when we took a helicopter trip around Manhattan. I spent the entire time twisting my torso into an unlikely shape, camera pressed to my face, trying to to take shots of famous buildings through slightly mucky windows. When we landed my partner gently enquired if I'd enjoyed looking out over Manhattan from above on our first romantic helicopter trip. Oops.

Anita Bryantisms. That is homophobia disguised as concern about the children or of wasting money on frivolous things when it could be used better.

Much to my shock, I just found out that Anita Bryant is still alive. And that she has a granddaughter who is openly lesbian. Talk about karma, huh? :D

Last edited:
All, let's just steer this back on to non Political political ground. After all, wine-pages is about wine, and the clue to this thread is in the title: it's about 'silly little things' - not major political or societal arguments.

The cat. My daughters effing cat. He is psyching me out. He loves everyone in this house apart from me. I try to be so nice to the cat but he literally runs away terrified, moewing in distress - and everyone else in the house says "you must have done something terrible to him".

All I do is buy his effing cat food and feed him and he still hates me.

How long to cats live for?

Picking up on the art gallery thing - people who actually take photos of the paintings. Why not do a google image search? FFS.
So that I can immediately WhatsApp them to my mother or mother-in-law, who 1) love art and 2) appreciate the fact that I'm thinking of them while walking around whichever gallery they're most unlikely to ever visit