NWR Silly little things that delight you

St Pancras is not only a great station but to my mind the starting point for two of the world’s most pleasurable train journeys. One is the Eurostar and the other is to Sheffield and straight off the train into the Tap (an astonishing railway restoration project in its own right) for a pint. Or three.
Make that 3. Stepping off the train in Broadstairs every evening, the hustle and bustle of London left behind for another day and the sea just down the hill never ever got old.

Make that 3. Stepping off the train in Broadstairs every evening, the hustle and bustle of London left behind for another day and the sea just down the hill never ever got old.
A great way to get to the Kent Riviera.

And the train also calls at Stratford International, Ebbsfleet International and Ashford International, which are collectively my joint second favourite named stations in the UK (after “totally underwhelming car park” Whittlesford Parkway).

Much as I admire pretty much everything about St Pancras station as stated above, I'm afraid
the escalator safety signs belong in the 'other' thread along with every other faux-matey-matey excuse for low comedy that companies inflict on these days in lieu of clear and - god help us - erudite signage. cf. Virgin Trains "don't flush sanitary products, nappies, your boyfriend or broken dreams down this toilet" - oh, ha ha ha Virgin, that's really exquisite. Just what I want to hear (yes - the toilet announces it) in that situation.

I blame Innocent Drinks who pioneered this nonsense.

Having typed that out I've realised it's not in the spirit of this thread so it's click to reveal!

Yes St Pancras! In particular the escalator safety signs:

View attachment 26527

And the pianos. I think there are now 3, two on the main concourse and one in the underground. There are some very entertaining YouTube videos, especially from a guy called Brendan Kavanagh.
Continuing the joy of safety signs, this one at an M6 services.

I would have thought that carbon monoxide is only one of a multitude of potential problems in this scenario!

20220726_112244.jpg

Last edited:
Are there really people out there who are so hard of thinking that their main thought on a rainy day is "let's take the barbecue into the house"? Quickly followed by "give me the petrol can and matches to get it going".

Are there really people out there who are so hard of thinking that their main thought on a rainy day is "let's take the barbecue into the house"? Quickly followed by "give me the petrol can and matches to get it going".
There is one born ever minute. So yes. Although why they’d be at the M6 services is beyond me.

There was a tragic case a few years ago of a pair of young campers who brought their 'extinguished' disposable bbq into the entrance part of their tent before retiring to bed, no doubt trying to be tidy. They were both overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

Saddened to read of the death of cricket umpire Rudi Koertzen, I looked for some classic footage of him in action. You can find anything you want on the internet. Someone has gone to the trouble of compiling this - and what’s more his name is Josh Schönafinger

Rudi Koertzen

It would appear to be the perfect coinage for what Umpires Venkat and Gould think of their digits. By contrast Bucknor always looked so mournful and Bowden like a ham actor in a bad repertory melodrama. Is cricket the only human artefact so richly detailed?

In Sicily, amongst the trappings of effortlessly accomplished culinary taste, the wines and aperitifs competed with a fashionable fermented drink of high prestige, always served out of specially designed and branded glasses and delivered on a matching tray: Tennent's Super.

Here in Glasgow they sometimes omit the branded glasses.
I thought they mostly omitted the glasses altogether?

There was a genuinely amusing train manager on a recent trip. One announcement of many "The doors will not open on the last two carriages on our next stop. If you are in carriages B or C please move forward to disembark. That's carriages B for Badger, and C for Koala, if it was spelled with a C."

The concept of a diagonal tasting, had not heard of such a thing before the recent Petits Monts tasting. As an aside this is a vineyard I have a few of, but have only sampled young at at the domaine (Sirugue).

Such a logical construct!