NWR Silly little things that delight you

Is the Peak District in the North, Dan? Most of it is in Derbyshire, which is usually considered to be in the Midlands.

That being said, the Peak District’s Northern boundary is only about 4-5 miles up the road from us, and it’s well north of Sheffield, which is definitely in the North.

Yes, how far south do you reckon it goes Dan? I'm surrounded by Midlanders here, who frankly seem to me to be neither mickling nor muckling.

Yes, how far south do you reckon it goes Dan? I'm surrounded by Midlanders here, who frankly seem to me to be neither mickling nor muckling.

South derbys and notts are classic midlands, as is staffs to the west. Lincolnshire is more like the bogtrotters in Norfolk really so we can, as usual, ignore it. Peak district is where england changes, both geographically and culturally.

I don't think butter would burn, but I have just made pastry for tonight's pie with beef dripping, not wishing to incur the wroth of the pie gods.
I would guess the correct wine match to be a cup of tea though traditionally I believe no drink at all would be taken, even water.

Actually Tom this would be the most suitable accompaniment

I adore tripe. I was once on a work trip to China where I was on my own so the food needed no concessions to colleagues' taste. I managed to eat tripe for 5 consecutive days... My local Uyghur restaurant used to do a superb tripe stir fry but I think have stopped it as I was the only person who ever ordered it. The Florentine version is good too, as is the St.John terrine, but the cold Szechuan salad is the apotheosis for me.

I adore tripe. I was once on a work trip to China where I was on my own so the food needed no concessions to colleagues' taste. I managed to eat tripe for 5 consecutive days... My local Uyghur restaurant used to do a superb tripe stir fry but I think have stopped it as I was the only person who ever ordered it. The Florentine version is good too, as is the St.John terrine, but the cold Szechuan salad is the apotheosis for me.
Was your Uyghur restaurant here, do tell...or in far Xinjiang? I remember the breads and mutton in Kashgar many years ago very fondly.

It's very good cold even in European iterations, but it's an ideal vehicle for chilli and spice, certainly. I remember various St. John versions but they were no good because they used the over-bleached and boiled version prepared for the UK market. The only good tripe available here is in the freezers of Chinese supermarkets, processed by Quick Products of Wigan, who started out as an unlicensed operation selling from the back of a lorry in Chinatown car parks.

Was your Uyghur restaurant here, do tell...or in far Xinjiang? I remember the breads and mutton in Kashgar many years ago very fondly.

In Finsbury Park! Dilara on the Blackstock Rd. Its a Turkish restaurant too, but the people who run it are from Xinjang and there are some excellent dishes, in particular handmade noodles, although my Kazakh friend didn't think it was worth the journey (from West London, not Kazakhstan!). Immensely popular with Chinese students in happier times, who order unimaginable quantities. I think there's one in Walthamstow too.

Maginificent, and I have no doubt whatever that photograph 1 is Quick Products beef honeycomb! I find it rather difficult, though not impossible, to find guests to enjoy my favourite tripe dishes, I fear my enthusiasm is by no means shared by other members of the household. If our current misery ever passes we must start a winepages tripe association.
I once sat next to Albert Roux at a Le Gavroche wine dinner. He told me that he is a great enthusiast for tripe, particularly prepared Bourguignon style with red wine sauce and the usual garnish of onions, bacon and mushrooms. Try as I might I have never been able to find any other trace of the existence of this preparation.

Here's the Uyghur version, and a friend's outstanding interpretation of the St.John tripe terrine (I've never had it in the restaurant). I don't think we drank the Barthod hiding in shot with it. Possibly Meursault. I will definitely investigate Quick Product of Wigan!

View attachment 15689 View attachment 15690 View attachment 15691

Fucking hell.

I wonder if there's a more divisive food than this - I really really really couldn't, and yet though who love it obviously love it...

I've never yet found a tripe dish that I enjoyed. I remain prepared to admit there may be one, but for the moment I'm not spending a great deal of energy on looking.
Curiously I was never offered tripe when visiting Oporto, in spite of the common description of the inhabitants as Tripieros...

There used to be a tripe dresser in Huddersfield called Gothard’s, who also had a retail shop in the middle of town. The stench around the factory was utterly revolting. God help anyone who got down wind of it.

My grandfather - an old-time mill-worker - was a great lover of tripe and onions, dressed with malt vinegar. Myself, I never got on with that. When I grew up I tried more sophisticated preparations in restaurants in various parts of France, none of which floated my boat. Then, about 6 years ago, I stayed in one of those traditional family-run hotel-with-restaurants in a one-horse town off the beaten track in Normandy, which had tripes a la mode de Caen on the table d’hote menu and I decided to give it one last try, on the basis that a place like that was more likely than anywhere else to prepare it as it should be done, and if I didn’t like it I would give up on tripe for ever. Needless to say, it was brilliant.

Since then, I’ve tried tripe again a few times in France and, while I’ve not been repelled, I have at least found it to be edible,