So cool to see so many UK breweries, including Magic Rock and Dark Star, in here

Rather random collection of beers under the vague description 'craft'. Some are good, others aren't even the best from the brewery never mind the world. Clickbait I fear.

Kinley,

Have already deleted one post from Jules in the wine forum, but did not know quite what to make of this: I suspect you are correct, but perhaps Jules will respond?

Sorry, if I upset anyone as a newbie here. I was just trying to get involved and share ideas and inspiration. I simply posted two articles that I enjoyed recenty. If this isn’t welcome I will try to rein in my over-enthusiasm as a new member of the forum.

@David: Sorry, also, if I offended your sensibilities with use of the word ‘cool’. I will henceforth limit myself to more elegant terms such as ’laudable’, ‘meritorious’ and ’superlative’.

Jules, I'm sure no one was upset; there was nothing wrong with your post, don't worry. Well, I'll try and give a sensible view of the list. When you think about the number of new breweries in this country, it shouldn't be surprising that British brewers are on there, brewing beer as good as, if not better than, modern American brewers...Of course there are a lot of classics missing...but a couple of my favourite beers are there so I have no complaints. I'm not sure about the breweries from Vietnam and The Philippines, though! And there are quite a few I haven't heard of...If you haven't tried Aventinus (no.3), I strongly recommend it. And I used to love Bigfoot, but haven't been able to get it since 2008.

And if we haven't put you off from ever viewing this forum again, don't reign in your enthusiasm...I think my first posts were probably more enthusiastic than yours...

@David Thanks for your kind reply and suggestions! I don't know any of the craft beer from Vietnam and The Philippines either, but I did get a chance to taste some Indian craft beers while I was there. The craft beer scene is booming, especially in places like Bangalore and Mumbai.

You should definitely try Aventinus (Tap 6)...It seems like the beer boom has taken off everywhere. One downside is that with all the American style beer around, beer from Belgium, which I love, is beginning to get slightly harder to find...I tend to get most of it online now...

Last edited:
Well, the problem I have with this is that anything labeled as the "Ultimate Guide", tends to be anything but that, with my experience being that guides like this end up reading as a bunch of old tosh.

I can't speak for beers from the UK, or indeed other countries represented, but the US breweries in the Ultimate Guide are your classic old school brewing companies. There are literally hundreds of smaller breweries in the US (most of them unknown in the UK) producing stellar, innovative, exciting beers, while maintaining respect for more established beer styles with a healthy nod towards cask ales.

But then, American Express is about as corporate as it gets, so it's no wonder that their Ultimate Guide features Sierra Nevada, Boston Brewing Co, Odell's et al. But then, it's all subjective.

Regarding David's "...it shouldn't be surprising that British brewers are on there, brewing beer as good as, if not better than, modern American brewers...", which "modern" American brewers are you referring to? There's always been a bit of an anti-American backlash on these pages, mainly - it seems - due to unfounded comments that American IPAs are trying to take over the world.

The "modern" US breweries are anything but that, which I've described three paragraphs up. We recently went to a 10th Anniversary party in San Diego at Hamilton's Tavern, which featured a tap takeover from the aptly named Modern Times Brewing Co. They had 30 taps featuring Brown Ales, Stouts, Sours, a Gose, a couple of Porters and a fine selection of barrel-aged beers, with four cask beers. IPAs? Just the one IPA on tap, out of 30. That's entirely typical of what you can expect of "modern" American brewers.

I'm not claiming these brewers are better than anyone else, but David, I do think you serve them an injustice. One of the reasons I stopped contributing to these pages is that I finally came to the conclusion that the beers I drink have no place on these pages.

And the "Ultimate Guide" doesn't help either!

Ian, I think you might have misinterpreted my comment. I do believe, and have said it before that, to me, America is perhaps the greatest brewing nation in the world. And it was in the light of that thought that I suggested that newer, younger, breweries here are making beers as good as the great breweries of America, which certainly hasn't always been the case. And I'm not talking just about IPAs (although British breweries have caught up here (with a great number of 'NE' style IPAs, etc)). The beers you mention above: brown ales, stouts, 'sours', gose etc. , are all commonly brewed here now. These are breweries inspired by American brewers. I know you would agree with me here (if you tried beer from the top new breweries in Britain)! Anyway, all I meant was that the younger British breweries have caught up somewhat with the best American brewing!

Nigel, that's great! Your son picked the best time to visit San Diego: October through April is lovely here. Sunny skies with high's in the 70s and cool evenings. Perfect for this Gloucestershire family!

We got back last night after visiting northern California for a few days. We were actually quite surprised how beer folks up north look down on SoCal brewers, saying that it's just a bunch of IPAs in these parts. I think Karl Strauss Brewing & Cellar 3 (and a host of others) might argue that point. Plus, one of the best IPAs on the planet - Almanac IPA - is brewed up north, out of San Jose (lovely city, BTW).

Congrats to your son and his bride!

Thanks, Ian! They are currently up early and in a pub that is showing the Liverpool v Watford match! I don't know the name of the bar, but it has a blackboard advertising the match outside.

Attachments

• 81 -Wow an LFC pub, early start though Maff. 6-11-2016.JPG
    81 -Wow an LFC pub, early start though Maff. 6-11-2016.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 6
There's a massive Liverpool presence in this town, plus there's a pub in North Park that is the Arsenal fans bar. San Diego Beer Week (a 10-day beer week) started three days ago, so it's perfect timing for your son & wife. My wife and I are currently at Stone Brewing Craft Beer, Cheese, Chocolate and Charcuterie Festival. Needless to say, it's brilliant!

Attachments

• WP_20161106_13_31_23_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161106_13_31_23_Pro.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3