NWR Songs worth listening to all the way through

Paul, I confess I watched it again after your comment and made it far enough to see the toilet break incident. I have to say, if they could play in time, tune their instruments, or sing, it would be better, but it genuinely does evoke the true punk spirit. The Fall meets One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest?

Perhaps more early Mekons than The Fall, but even The Mekons could play (a bit) and earned regular appearances on the JP show. Mark E Smith assembled many of the tightest, greatest bands to grace the punk scene.

Perhaps more early Mekons than The Fall, but even The Mekons could play (a bit) and earned regular appearances on the JP show. Mark E Smith assembled many of the tightest, greatest bands to grace the punk scene.

What just teasing you with the Fall, but nice analogy with the mighty in-tune Mekons. Where were you.

I have to say I assumed there'd be a Fall song I always listen to all the way through, but none's come to mind just yet. On the other hand, the watchword is repetition, repetition, repetition, so perhaps they're not a likely choice as once you've heard the same bass loop for 17 mins, you don't need the last 3..

As you "started" the thread Paul, I'll take this opportunity to say what I was getting at :)

Despite your presumed eye-rolling :) at kidstoday's lack of attention, unless I'm listening to an album, I'm also prone to skipping to the next song once I've absorbed a few verse-chorus-verse-chorus loops, as by that time, the song's given me much of what it has to offer. It's about this time in a bottle of wine that I bung the cork back in and save the rest for tmrw.

There are a very few though, where the juice just keeps giving to the end so I always listen through. I suppose the definer is some combination of complexity and staying power.

I have to say I assumed there'd be a Fall song I always listen to all the way through, but none's come to mind just yet. On the other hand, the watchword is repetition, repetition, repetition, so perhaps they're not a likely choice as once you've heard the same bass loop for 17 mins, you don't need the last 3..

As you "started" the thread Paul, I'll take this opportunity to say what I was getting at :)

Despite your presumed eye-rolling :) at kidstoday's lack of attention, unless I'm listening to an album, I'm also prone to skipping to the next song once I've absorbed a few verse-chorus-verse-chorus loops, as by that time, the song's given me much of what it has to offer. It's about this time in a bottle of wine that I bung the cork back in and save the rest for tmrw.

There are a very few though, where the juice just keeps giving to the end so I always listen through. I suppose the definer is some combination of complexity and staying power.
I have been known to skip to the end of a song, even one's I love, because I'm either not quite in the groove, or looking for a particular track. But that is always in the car, as it can easily be done with a press of a button on the steering wheel. I quite often press repeat on a track and can listen to it 4 or 5 times in a row and many of them I first heard in the 1970's. However, all my tracks and albums are stored on the car's hard drive and played in shuffle mode (which is quite good for a game of 'guess the intro').
Its different when I'm in the house as I'll mainly be listening to an album on vinyl and bobbing up and down to skip to the end of a track is just not practical (and will probably end up scratching the record :()

Not sure if this is in the remit of the thread but I always listen out for the phone ring at the run out of Bowie’s Life on Mars
Bang on Ray - songs that you'll usually listen to all the way through, whose fuse isn't fully burnt out by the 3rd chorus as most songs sadly are - a killer lyric in the last verse; a random artefact witout which the song isn't complete but only occurs late on so the finger remains away from the "next track" button*

I'm reminded of a stray sneeze in the closing seconds of this:

*for those who listen mostly on vinyl, "buttons" obvs irrelevant, unless you've got one of those 80s "linear tracking" things which never worked.

Well, if you don't listen to this all the way through you will miss the astonishingly good guitar solo. Amazing to think that he was already suffering from dementia at the time. RIP an utter genius:

it's probably my favourite of the four too, although Im Abendrot runs it close.

I don't have della Casa's recording. I'm listening now to Lucia Popp's, which is wonderful.
I know the Popp recording. Made from the same mold as della Casa IMO. Jessye Norman sounds glorious but far too large for this music, and these works demands clear diction. Not a fan despite the wonderful voice. I like Schwarzkopf/Szell (haven't heard the Ackerman) though some find her too "coy" - for lack of a better word.

Jessye Norman sounds glorious but far too large for this music

Oh I don't know... probably my favourite recording of the songs, and i think the power and control is majestic, but she pours a lot of emotion in there too. Was so privileged to see her sing this in Glasgow too.